Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Substitute for limoncello

• 04-07-2020 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭

There's a recipe in last Saturday's Irish Independent for a polenta cake with the Italian liqueur Limoncella (at least that's what Google tells me Limoncella is).
    Nobody in this house likes the thought of a citrus liqueur plus I've looked out for it and can't see it.
    What could I substitute the liqueur for?
    Lemon eccence?
    I want to try polenta for someone who can't eat wheat.
    Thanks.

To thine own self be true

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

How was the limoncella used in the recipe, in the mix or as a drizzle? If in the mix I'd just add lemon zest and some extra liquid and if the drizzle then I'd make a normal drizzle with lemon juice and sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

There's a recipe in last Saturday's Irish Independent for a polenta cake with the Italian liqueur Limoncella (at least that's what Google tells me Limoncella is).
    Nobody in this house likes the thought of a citrus liqueur plus I've looked out for it and can't see it.
    What could I substitute the liqueur for?
    Lemon eccence?
    I want to try polenta for someone who can't eat wheat.
    Thanks.
    Do you think that as a citrus liqueur it will be sharp ? Limoncello is very very sweet, no citrus zing whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Its a common thing in Italian desserts. Unless you’re allergic i wouldn’t substitute it for anything. Live a little!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

If you can't find it I'd make a thin syrup of lemon juice and sugar and add the same quantity of that. It is nice though, and very sweet as others have said! Wouldn't use lemon essence, you'd need far less of it and the consistency is likely to be different with less liquid. Actual lemon in some form would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen it in Lidl. Pretty cheap IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Thanks everyone.
    It's used both in the mix and the drizzle.
    It's a case of it sounds too sweet and I have a non alcohol person to think of too.
    Anyone any other links to baking a cake with polenta?
    It was for the polenta I was making it.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,738 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you can't find it I'd make a thin syrup of lemon juice and sugar and add the same quantity of that. It is nice though, and very sweet as others have said! Wouldn't use lemon essence, you'd need far less of it and the consistency is likely to be different with less liquid. Actual lemon in some form would be better.

This.
    But I'd add the finely grated zest of lemon, too.

This.
    But I'd add the finely grated zest of lemon, too.

That's in the recipe too anyway.
    Thank you.

This is the recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭phormium

Similar type recipe, orange could be changed to lemon.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/orange-polenta-cake

Here's another Nigella one

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-polenta-cake

I have used polenta in cakes and don't like it, too gritty a texture for my liking, prefer just all ground almonds.

• Advertisement

phormium wrote: »
    Similar type recipe, orange could be changed to lemon.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/orange-polenta-cake

Here's another Nigella one

https://www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-polenta-cake

I have used polenta in cakes and don't like it, too gritty a texture for my liking, prefer just all ground almonds.

Thank you. Nigella looks good.

Advertisement