Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Ennio Morricone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Legend.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Ah crap

RIP ennio

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Was just listening to The Untouchables soundtrack yesterday :(

RIP Ennio and thanks for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Got to see him in Kilmainham Hospital a couple of years back, a phenomenal experience.

A great loss, we should be eternally thankful for the huge body of work he left behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Well that's a shyte start to a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So much amazing music, so many absolutely iconic soundtracks.

The one that I find myself listening to quite often, as a little moment of calm, a reset on rage ;)

Gabriel's oboe from The Mission.
    A piece of music that honestly has a near immediate cathartic and calming effect on me!
    Akin to valium.

R.I.P Ennio, thanks for the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Ah ****e.

What a career. So many absolutely stunning songs.

2020 strikes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Keyzer wrote: »
    Got to see him in Kilmainham Hospital a couple of years back, a phenomenal experience.

A great loss, we should be eternally thankful for the huge body of work he left behind.

I'd say that was a brilliant night, Kilmainham is an excellent spot for outdoor gigs. Saw him myself in 3 Arena in 2017 and he was fantastic.
    If this stupid Covid thing hadn't happened I would have been part of a choir doing "On Earth as it is in Heaven" a few weeks ago as part of a concert... difficult but fun to sing.
    RIP to a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭gucci

I am not worthy to write a descriptive obituory for someone as talented as this guy.

I will just say a big "Thank You" and i guess this week my ears will be dominated by the wonderful music he helped create.

Metallica gigs of my youth used to get me so excited to hear the "Ectasy Of Gold" as their walk on music!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,031 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

‘Legend’ doesn’t seem sufficient for Ennio Morricone.

Getting to see him in Kilmainham underscored what was so remarkable about his work. His classics are obviously powerful enough to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up - Ecstasy of Gold would make a compelling argument for the best use of music in any film, a euphoric explosion of emotion. And yet there were so many smaller films, offbeat choices and pleasant surprises that you could listen to 90 mins of his greatest hits and still not quite get the breadth and depth of his work.

The westerns will always be his beloved legacy, but when you have the likes of The Battle of Algiers, Days of Heaven and The Thing under your belt... well, his place in cinema history is secured.

What can one say other than... Here’s To You, Ennio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

banie01 wrote: »
    So much amazing music, so many absolutely iconic soundtracks.

The one that I find myself listening to quite often, as a little moment of calm, a reset on rage ;)

Gabriel's oboe from The Mission.
    A piece of music that honestly has a near immediate cathartic and calming effect on me!
    Akin to valium.

R.I.P Ennio, thanks for the music.

Totally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Huge loss at a cultural level.

Its often said of the best that they know which notes to not play or in this case write. Nothing wasted, perfect support but also structured enough to mean his music can stand up without the images.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I remember listening to my dads The Good, the Bad and the Ugly soundtrack on vinyl as a child and being enthralled by the music. Eventually it would be a gateway into Italian cinema from Spaghetti Westerns to Eurocrime/Giallo to Cannibal/Zombie films. Some amazing and not so amazing cinema with often the soundtrack being the key component. Ennio Morricones influence was always at the forefront and of the hundreds of Italian soundtracks in my collection none have ever matched that vinyl record I listened to as a child. A sad day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭This time with style

RIP Ennio. Genuinely sad when I heard this this morning. What a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭blackbox

Cazale wrote: »
    I remember listening to my dads The Good, the Bad and the Ugly soundtrack on vinyl as a child and being enthralled by the music. Eventually it would be a gateway into Italian cinema from Spaghetti Westerns to Eurocrime/Giallo to Cannibal/Zombie films. Some amazing and not so amazing cinema with often the soundtrack being the key component. Ennio Morricones influence was always at the forefront and of the hundreds of Italian soundtracks in my collection none have ever matched that vinyl record I listened to as a child. A sad day.

I remember being stunned by the opening score of The Good the Bad and the Ugly at the cinema when I was a kid. Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

A film music legend. Wow. He really made his impact on films. 'The Mission' is such a perfect score.

Also like to listen to some 'The Good, The Bad, The Ugly' & 'Man with the Harmonica' While playing some RDR2

RIP

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

RIP. Once Upon a Time in the West has some of the best use of music in a film ever, amazing juxtapositions of image and sound.

I also love the use of the musical pocket watch in "For a few dollars more":

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The Untouchables still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. He certainly knew his craft didn't he. RIP.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

loyatemu wrote: »
    RIP. Once Upon a Time in the West has some of the best use of music in a film ever, amazing juxtapositions of image and sound.

I also love the use of the musical pocket watch in "For a few dollars more":

Just thinking of some of the scenes as Jill McBain makes the trek for Sweetwater in Once Upon a Time in the West with the music in the background brings goose bumps to my skin and a welling up in my eyes - rarely touched by the passing of "celebs" but genuinely saddened by this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Just thinking of some of the scenes as Jill McBain makes the trek for Sweetwater in Once Upon a Time in the West with the music in the background brings goose bumps to my skin and a welling up in my eyes - rarely touched by the passing of "celebs" but genuinely saddened by this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdL__zuZvpA

This. That scene where Jill arrives at the train station, and her hope and expectation segues into confusion and anxiety. I can never decide which is better, Jill's theme or Deborah's theme. Only a clerical mix-up I believe denied his receiving the Oscar for Once Upon A Time In America soundtrack, while he should also have gotten it at least for Cinema Paradiso.

The last God of cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

I remember around the age of 10 our teacher trying to instil some culture into us brought in a tape of the soundtrack to "The Mission". I'd never seen a gang of future north Dublin hoodlums stay so quiet trying to figure out what they were listening to yet still respecting what it was they couldn't understand. So it's strange to me that so many people associate Morricone with his Western scores when for a long time, to me, he was that Italian guy who did the music for "The Mission". It wasn't until I was in my teens that I discovered that this man had quite the prolific career. They won't be stuck for songs at his funeral.

The very best ever to do it I believe.

Indelible sound across decades, and so wonderful Tarantino gave him the platform to win the oscar they had shunned him on for so long.

I saw him for the 3rd time in Terme di Caracalla in 2018, old Roman ruins on a summers evening provided for something truly magical.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Can't believe some of the scores he didn't get an Oscar for like Leonardo DiCaprio and Pacino he got one in the end but wow he deserved so many more

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

MfMan wrote: »
    he should also have gotten [an Oscar] at least for Cinema Paradiso.
    Absolutely. I challenge anyone to watch and listen to this without shedding a tear ...

Requiescat in pace signor Morricone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Found the piece I was looking for. So much crammed into sub 3 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,822 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Once Upon a Time in the West has to be the most brilliant, perfect and emotive score put to picture in the history of cinema. It’s just absolutely mind blowingly perfect. It’s sad that the catalyst to me listening to it this morning is Ennios passing.

So many other great pieces of work present in the cannon of work too, committed to tape, screen and minds and hearts forever, so long Mr Morricone

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ibRMQjGzagY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭MfMan

Even his 'lesser' known compositions are memorable; try the Red Tent;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKOcFDIXcU

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Was only thinking of him last week and that it was incredible he was still around and performing live.

I grew up with the spaghetti westerns. Fun fact: did you know that most of them were German / French / Italian / Spanish co-productions? And that they were obviously shot in the desert. In Spain!

And here's my favourite - the theme from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

RIP Maestro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I was very lucky to see him perform for the last time in Ireland in February, 2019.

519001.jpg

Advertisement