Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home taps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭shmeee

Fresh Guinness kegs back in stock this week, picking up a fresh one this Friday evening. And the tap's are returning after 2 weeks away, it was a hard 2 weeks. Will be tapping an OOD keg first, it won't last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Picking up a fresh one myself tomorrow. Can't wait!

BullBauld wrote: »
    Picking up a fresh one myself tomorrow. Can't wait!

Got it last night in the end and had a last minute panic, the gas was empty when we went to pull a pint! So did an SOS run at 10.30pm last night to pick one up. Had to celebrate Liverpool winning the league sure.

Waiting for 5pm to come now and clock out of work and pull a pint of cream. Pints as nice as ever, cooler will be rightly kicked in now tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

shmeee wrote: »
    Fresh Guinness kegs back in stock this week, picking up a fresh one this Friday evening. And the tap's are returning after 2 weeks away, it was a hard 2 weeks. Will be tapping an OOD keg first, it won't last 24 hours.

How many people are attacking this keg?

Any advice about a good head?!!

Having an ongoing battle with the head on my Guinness. Pints are lovely but just can't get any consistency on the head. Most are on the small side.

Any advice?

• Advertisement

Any advice about a good head?!!

Having an ongoing battle with the head on my Guinness. Pints are lovely but just can't get any consistency on the head. Most are on the small side.

Any advice?

What kind of regulator you using? Right gas, 70/30 I take it?

RasTa wrote: »
    How many people are attacking this keg?

A few solid drinkers.

Got a dodgy keg since, pure water, keg wouldn't give a head no mater what. Pissed off over it!

What kind of regulator you using? Right gas, 70/30 I take it?

Yea using 70/30 gas. And regulator attached.
    For a short line what should PSI be?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭endainoz

I had mine set around 35 psi and heads came out perfect. On a short line too.

Tweak around with PSI but from 30 to 35 should give a decent head.

I've a Boc suremix regulator so it's set into the green "full" line all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 shane122

Hi all,

Thinking about buying beer taps and cooler but they cost a bit of money. I'd be looking to set up one for larger and 1 for Guinness. Can I get my Guinness to turn out as good as the pub pint. This is the deal breaker for me, if I can't get perfect pint of Guinness there is no point in me getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

My set up is Guinness only and the pints are now up there with a pub imo. It took a bit of tweaking but I think they are good.

Definitely streets ahead of the cans.

A friend has Heineken at home and had a few pints last week and I would say they were the nicest pints of Heineken I ever had. But Most of the Heineken I have drank has been at gigs/matches out of plastic glasses.

One thing to look at it is do you need 2 taps? That’s a lot of beer/Guinness to get through.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

shane122 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Thinking about buying beer taps and cooler but they cost a bit of money. I'd be looking to set up one for larger and 1 for Guinness. Can I get my Guinness to turn out as good as the pub pint. This is the deal breaker for me, if I can't get perfect pint of Guinness there is no point in me getting it.

Pint will be the exact same as a pub as long as you have the gas set up correctly, keep the lines clean and empty the keg within a few weeks.

How many kegs should I get out of a 10l gas cylinder?

Boscoirl wrote: »
    My set up is Guinness only and the pints are now up there with a pub imo. It took a bit of tweaking but I think they are good.

Definitely streets ahead of the cans.

A friend has Heineken at home and had a few pints last week and I would say they were the nicest pints of Heineken I ever had. But Most of the Heineken I have drank has been at gigs/matches out of plastic glasses.

One thing to look at it is do you need 2 taps? That’s a lot of beer/Guinness to get through.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, what kind of set up do you have. After a bit more thought I came to the same conclusion that 2 taps is a lot. Do you have under the counter cooler and tap or kegerator. I was thinking of buying a kegerator because it keeps everything hidden inside.
    Is there any set up better than an other for getting that perfect pint of Guinness. This is just for lock down for me. I don't get to pub much but really enjoy pint of back stuff. What kind of issues were you having and how did you solve them.

irish_goat wrote: »
    Pint will be the exact same as a pub as long as you have the gas set up correctly, keep the lines clean and empty the keg within a few weeks.

Hi,
    How long are talking with 50l keg of Guinness. Would 4 to 5 weeks be OK. Where did you buy your gear to get set up. Great to get some info from real people who use home taps. Was looking at brew crew and the bar company but can't help thinking there is a cheaper option out there. Do you think kegerator or under counter cooler. Any advice welcome.

Hi,
    How long are talking with 50l keg of Guinness. Would 4 to 5 weeks be OK. Where did you buy your gear to get set up. Great to get some info from real people who use home taps. Was looking at brew crew and the bar company but can't help thinking there is a cheaper option out there. Do you think kegerator or under counter cooler. Any advice welcome.

There is cheaper options out there, but it's then sourcing the main parts as below. At the moment all my bits came from all over the County and involved a heap of phone calls and collecting stuff then.

Under counter cooler:

ZGE4NjQxYmVjMjMxOWUzOGE3MTc4N2JkZTViOWI1NDL1wffAS0Ad26YGp4Zf-QlVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTEwODc1NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Guinness Tap:

NjE3MmI4MjM4OWJhMDkxODdjNDM3ZWViMTAzYjE0NmKeB3DnsjpqAA95Wl9APpgjaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMmVlNTUyOGFjNjliOGQzYTk5NmU0NmM4MWU4OGY5ZWY1ODVlYTcxMTAyZWQwNTZiMjRmM2EyZjFhNTcwZWUyZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwxOTV4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

BOC sureflow gas regulator:

NTNhMWE4MjBhYTVjZTJmMjYzZjljZGZlZmMxZDFiY2GNVFZ5pjpUxXBd5WtaYXNVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYmM1OGM0ZWMzY2I0NDBlZmJjOWE1ZmM3YzQyY2NmYTQ4OTk1NzgwODJjZTQwMjg1OGU1ODNiOGFiOTgwZDk1NC5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Guinness U System Coupler:

21202.png

Guinness Suremix 25 (70/30) gas:

Yzg2ZGI3NjA1ZDE4NmE5N2U0NzY4YTc1OGQ2Yzc1ZWXpiyFomTr2QX_SZtDkXuPfaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZjZkMDc5YmE3MmM0YmQ5YjY0YWJkNjEyMTY0YTQ4ZTFjODBiMzdhMTVlYzUyNGNlOGZmZTcxYTliYmNjMWVmMi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Then it's the PVC piping and fittings to put it all together and away you go. First port would be to ask any pub owners you know for old taps, couplers etc. The coolers are difficult to source and going for insane money online but if you can pluck away and pick bits up you'd never know.

There is cheaper options out there, but it's then sourcing the main parts as below. At the moment all my bits came from all over the County and involved a heap of phone calls and collecting stuff then.

Under counter cooler:

ZGE4NjQxYmVjMjMxOWUzOGE3MTc4N2JkZTViOWI1NDL1wffAS0Ad26YGp4Zf-QlVaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTEwODc1NDl8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Guinness Tap:

NjE3MmI4MjM4OWJhMDkxODdjNDM3ZWViMTAzYjE0NmKeB3DnsjpqAA95Wl9APpgjaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMmVlNTUyOGFjNjliOGQzYTk5NmU0NmM4MWU4OGY5ZWY1ODVlYTcxMTAyZWQwNTZiMjRmM2EyZjFhNTcwZWUyZS5qcGd8fHx8fHwxOTV4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

BOC sureflow gas regulator:

NTNhMWE4MjBhYTVjZTJmMjYzZjljZGZlZmMxZDFiY2GNVFZ5pjpUxXBd5WtaYXNVaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYmM1OGM0ZWMzY2I0NDBlZmJjOWE1ZmM3YzQyY2NmYTQ4OTk1NzgwODJjZTQwMjg1OGU1ODNiOGFiOTgwZDk1NC5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Guinness U System Coupler:

21202.png

Guinness Suremix 25 (70/30) gas:

Yzg2ZGI3NjA1ZDE4NmE5N2U0NzY4YTc1OGQ2Yzc1ZWXpiyFomTr2QX_SZtDkXuPfaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vZjZkMDc5YmE3MmM0YmQ5YjY0YWJkNjEyMTY0YTQ4ZTFjODBiMzdhMTVlYzUyNGNlOGZmZTcxYTliYmNjMWVmMi5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTR4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Then it's the PVC piping and fittings to put it all together and away you go. First port would be to ask any pub owners you know for old taps, couplers etc. The coolers are difficult to source and going for insane money online but if you can pluck away and pick bits up you'd never know.

Yeah, if I waited a Couple of weeks I'd prop pick up a lot of used gear but I have it in my head
    Now and finding it hard to wait any longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭38psi

Is it not the case that all that equipment belongs to the breweries and not the publican.

38psi wrote: »
    Is it not the case that all that equipment belongs to the breweries and not the publican.

There is always one who spoils the fun. 🀔

• Advertisement

I pIcked up a fridge on DoneDeal or adverts for €50 instead of a cooler

I pIcked up a fridge on DoneDeal or adverts for €50 instead of a cooler

That is ****ing cool, is the pints good coming out of it. Where did you get the conversion kit. Does a sealer come with kit. I really want something but some prices for a set are crazy. Nearly paid so much money this weekend. When I get something in my head I just can't let go. How important is the tap to the whole set up.

I got the tap from eBay. Think it was called the beer tap shop

Just had to drill the hole in the door and the shank that was needed to mount it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭endainoz

I got the tap from eBay. Think it was called the beer tap shop

Just had to drill the hole in the door and the shank that was needed to mount it.

Yeah as long as the keg can be kept cool, a cooler isn't absolutely essential. I had one lying in the shed for years and luckily it still works. I definitely wouldn't justify paying big money to buy a new one though. The big purchase for my system was the gas barrel, managed to source a regulator from someone else and a friend of mine built a bar and got a tap and coupler. Just picked up a fresh keg of Friday, the first one came out really well so hopefully it will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭John Horgan

Would anyone happen to know what measurements the bar needs to be?

I'm interested in being able to pour pints at home, and being able to build my own bar would save a lot of money.

Where is everyone buying kegs, I live in dundalk but I only see them for sale in dublin

I get mine from a local off license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

It's a good time to be friends with someone that basically bas a bar in his kitchen. And it stays open until whenever you want!

I get mine from a local off license

Do you order it with them or do you just drop in and collect one. I must check around here and see if they would do the same.

• Advertisement

Do you order it with them or do you just drop in and collect one. I must check around here and see if they would do the same.

Just drop in. But when there was a shortage of kegs before the restaurants opened. I’d check with them to see if they had them in stock.

It’s a €30 deposit for the keg

Advertisement