Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Gas* BBQ/Grilling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Cyrus wrote: »
    I’ll see how this next one goes

It’s brand new so hopefully not leaking

It would be highly unlikely the cylinder would be leaking, probably the regulator or a burner connection. Do you remove the regulator from the bottle when not in use, or at least turn it to the off position?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

It would be highly unlikely the cylinder would be leaking, probably the regulator or a burner connection. Do you remove the regulator from the bottle when not in use, or at least turn it to the off position?

i always turn it off, but dont remove it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a bit of a shock yesterday with a loud pop and some shrapnel coming through the grill shortly after ignition

Some snail had managed to climb up the inside of the grill and was on a burner. Pop was it bursting and the shrapnel was its exploded shell.

Good long burn and a grill brushing followed that before any food went near it anyway!

L1011 wrote: »
    Got a bit of a shock yesterday with a loud pop and some shrapnel coming through the grill shortly after ignition

Some snail had managed to climb up the inside of the grill and was on a burner. Pop was it bursting and the shrapnel was its exploded shell.

Good long burn and a grill brushing followed that before any food went near it anyway!

A bit of garlic butter and you would have had a nice snack :D

Slugs like hiding under my cover- I usually store a couple of applewood branches there so I think that’s what’s attracting them

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭AEH1984

Anyone done a marinade with Gochujang, the Korean Pepper paste?

Just want to see how easily it burns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

AEH1984 wrote: »

Yep I use it a lot but always mixed with something else. No problem with burning but there is sugar in it so need to be a little bit careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,837 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

AEH1984 wrote: »

Found a great recipe for slow roast chicken and potatoes with gochujang. There's lots of olive oil and garlic in it too. It's done at a fairly low temp so doesn't burn - goes fairly black, though.

I'd imagine it would burn pretty easily at high heat.

Google that recipe - lots of similar ones. It's really, really good. The leftovers are amazing.

Did a spatchcocked chicken on the gas last evening. It was really, really good.
    Cooked just right - breasts just cooked - lovely and moist, crispy skin and lots of lovely charred bits. Spiced it a little with dried grape powder, Korean red pepper/chilli flakes, salt and pepper and olive oil.

Served with baba ghanoush, tabbouleh, salted lemon and olive dressing, tomato and cucumber salad and cous cous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Cooked just right - breasts just cooked - lovely and moist, crispy skin and lots of lovely charred bits. Spiced it a little with dried grape powder, Korean red pepper/chilli flakes, salt and pepper and olive oil.

Served with baba ghanoush, tabbouleh, salted lemon and olive dressing, tomato and cucumber salad and cous cous.

Can I move into your house please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Sounds nice. Not massively related to this thread but how did you cook the couscous? I have a jar of it in the cupboard that I really should start using.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My gas bbq has been in the shed for weeks. We need better weather.

Sounds nice. Not massively related to this thread but how did you cook the couscous? I have a jar of it in the cupboard that I really should start using.

I stir it around some melted butter for a minute or two on the heat and then add twice the volume of water, turn off the heat and put the lid on for 10 minutes.
    I usually mix various stuff through it. This time there was so many flavours on the table that I just put spring onions through it.

Spring onions, fresh herbs, lemon zest, pine nuts, chopped tomatoes, dried fruit would all be things I'd stir through cous cous.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

Hi all, I’m searching everywhere for a Weber q2200 but they seem sold out everywhere. Has anyone seen them in stock/for sale anywhere. Maybe the current pricing of €320-€350 is too tempting for everyone !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

kop-end wrote: »
    Hi all, I’m searching everywhere for a Weber q2200 but they seem sold out everywhere. Has anyone seen them in stock/for sale anywhere. Maybe the current pricing of €320-€350 is too tempting for everyone !!

https://aroomoutside.ie/products/q2200-with-stand-black?_pos=5&_sid=7d4ce7ecd&_ss=r

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭kop-end

august12 wrote: »

It’s sold out there also, you only get informed when you add it to the basket. Thanks very much for the help though ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

yeah its been pretty crap lately. Have had a kilo of short ribs in the freezer for a month now and just waiting for a day where I know its not going to rain to do a low and slow cook with them.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

In the summertime????? :eek::eek::eek:

Get a cover;)

I keep mine outside 365 - all you need is 1/2 hour of dry weather to sear a steak or cook a few burgers- I couldn't imagine hauling my Gas BBQ in/out of a shed, but especially not in Summer time :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We throw the parasol up over the bbq if it's lashing, it lives outside the back door all year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

heldel00 wrote: »
    Yep you're right. They were bacon. Would the pork ribs be available in small local butchers or would i need to go bigger?

I find most decent butchers have pork ribs, with vastly varying prices. Some weigh them and some charge a flat amount for a rack. If you like, they will cut them up for you, I never do this as I like the racks to be whole.

I'm a bit of a fiend for ribs, so I will share how I go about getting them absolutely fall off the bone tender and delicious. I have cooked 5 racks at once on occasion and they all turned out perfectly.

Firstly, you need a slow cooker, there is absolutely no comparison to any other way of cooking them, and believe me, I have tried them all.

You need to peel the membrane off the back of them. A bit of kitchen paper helps get a grip on it and usually comes off fairly easily. I also trim any excess fat.

Next, I like to use a dry rub. Depending on if you like them a bit spicy or sweet, any combination of Paprika, onion salt, pepper, cumin, brown sugar. Plenty of them online to try out.

Then, stick them in the slow cooker on low for 8 hours. No liquid, just throw the ribs in on their own. Don't touch them, don't take off the lid. Just leave them alone.

After 8 hours, take them out carefully. They will be almost falling apart.

Brush them with BBQ sauce and carefully transfer to the BBQ for caramizaltion. Repeat basting as desired. In winter I use the grill for this but this is a BBQ thread :)

I gaurentee you they will be the best ribs you will ever eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

Great thread,glad i found it.
    My BBQ died recently after about 10 years of use.
    Finding it hard to get a new one as most places are sold out. I also dont want to wait 14 days for delivery if ordering online.
    Has anyone any recommendations for me. Either from somewhere i can walk in and buy today or order for 2 or 3 days delivery time online.
    Budget is 250-400max and a 4 burner medium size is all i need.
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rossyd2005 wrote: »
    Finding it hard to get a new one as most places are sold out. I also dont want to wait 14 days for delivery if ordering online.
    Has anyone any recommendations for me. Either from somewhere i can walk in and buy today or order for 2 or 3 days delivery time online.
    Thanks in advance.

Homebase have some good BBQs in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks in advance.

HomeStore & More?

I was in both of those places after long queues and no gas ones left.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I was in both of those places after long queues and no gas ones left.

The world is still going mad! You could try DoneDeal/Adverts.ie for a good secondhand one.

The world is still going mad! You could try DoneDeal/Adverts.ie for a good secondhand one.
    I appreciate the advice but want a new one as i will use it alot. Its only an option if no other choice. Nice weather due next week so want to be sorted

I appreciate the advice but want a new one as i will use it alot. Its only an option if no other choice. Nice weather due next week so want to be sorted

Have you tried the orchard in celbridge or Johnstown garden center Naas?

Have you tried the orchard in celbridge or Johnstown garden center Naas?
    I find the orchard expensive and all they had when i looked were expensive webers.
    I looked up Johnstown just now and they have some good options,thanks

I find the orchard expensive and all they had when i looked were expensive webers.
    I looked up Johnstown just now and they have some good options,thanks

They were doing Weber in past years but they seem to have got rid of all of those- they're stockists for Char-Broil now (and maybe some other brands, not quite sure) . Do let us know how you get on.
    PS_ all BBQ suppliers/stockists are experiencing delays in deliveries due to such high demand this Summer but if they have the one you want in stock, delivery shouldn't be a major issue.

A few other sites are Newlands Garden Centre (I think they're still Weber) and Outdoor based in Goatstown and Limerick- they deliver (and weren't that bad when i ordered some months ago but not sure now)- they stock weber but also Broil-king that might be a bit cheaper- some out of stock right now but some look in stock for your price range

https://www.outdoor.ie/product-category/barbeques-in-ireland/gas-barbecues/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

PaulKK wrote: »
    I find most decent butchers have pork ribs, with vastly varying prices.
    I'd imagine many do not have prices listed, and so the quote price might depend on how you ask.

Go in with a cynical sounding "hmm, those pork bellies are expensive, how much per kilo for pork ribs?" will get a lower price than going in with an enthusiastic "is there any chance you could sell me some pork ribs? pretty please!" sounding like your mind is made up that you are getting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

rubadub wrote: »
    I'd imagine many do not have prices listed, and so the quote price might depend on how you ask.

Go in with a cynical sounding "hmm, those pork bellies are expensive, how much per kilo for pork ribs?" will get a lower price than going in with an enthusiastic "is there any chance you could sell me some pork ribs? pretty please!" sounding like your mind is made up that you are getting them.

Not sure that's the case. It's pretty consistent across different butchers. Some weigh them, some don't. I'm buying them for years.

I've paid anything from 4 to 7.50 or so for a rack of pork ribs, with 4 being their "set price" for a rack.

Average these days is about 6 euro per rack for me.

Advertisement