Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE fantasizes about African-Americans seeking refugee status in Ireland..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

In fairness that's a hypothetical opinion piece from a university lecturer and not an RTE editorial. Very hypothetical. From what i understand its virtually impossible to claim refugee status from one liberal democracy to another, no mater how dysfunctional you might think the US is. So no point getting too wound up about it mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

I suppose you are also worried by chemtrails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Maybe if RTE did an impartial report on the subject and included the very serious problem of black criminality in the States when compared to their size of the population, then it would be worth reading/watching.

Look up Wikipedia for an explanation of Virtue Signalling, and you would probably find the RTE logo.
    They are such a bunch of wasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

blueskys wrote: »
    In fairness that's a hypothetical opinion piece from a university lecturer and not an RTE editorial. Very hypothetical. From what i understand its virtually impossible to claim refugee status from one liberal democracy to another, no mater how dysfunctional you might think the US is. So no point getting too wound up about it mate.

That why i said fantasizes in the title. Plus its on their website so they clearly agree with this idea to some degree otherwise it wouldn't be on their websit.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Maybe if RTE did an impartial report on the subject and included the very serious problem of black criminality in the States when compared to their size of the population, then it would be worth reading/watching.

Look up Wikipedia for an explanation of Virtue Signalling, and you would probably find the RTE logo.
    They are such a bunch of wasters.

If any media outlet did their actual job then the myth of Blacks being innocent victims to a gestapo like Police Force would be shattered instantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0629/1150259-african-americans-refugee-status-ireland-racism-direct-provision-law/?fbclid=IwAR1bhwIT1H885aq2YNt7MQ0KJXNAjFmLsrW3NcYM9nVeuNjsowrGcxSQ4Fc

I know this empty virtue signalling, but it shows you how much our national broadcaster is marinating in crazy.

As of the 2018 the African-American population is roughly 45,109,521. There is no way Ireland accommodate even a fraction of that number showing up at once. Our public services can't accommodate the current population no less that much showing up at one.

We'd collapse economically the minute a fraction of that number turned up.

JHC OP but you must be a nervous wreck with how all these conversations are making you so worried.

That piece is interesting in the context of where America finds itself in the world today. That the land of the free and the home of the brave and the epitome for many generations worldwide of the peak of life goals in 'The American Dream' finds itself in a place where members of its population could possibly present themselves with just cause for an appeal for asylum in another country shows just how far it has fallen.

But you manage to construe that in to RTE advocating for Ireland to be overwhelmed with an influx of immigrants.

You certainly validated part of the article in what was in the final sentence.
    However, they may be just as likely to encounter racist treatment and attitudes in Ireland as in their country of origin.

If you are concerned about Ireland and the people living there, go and do something to make Ireland a better country for the people living there instead of letting your mind run away with itself with imaginary scenarios.

JHC OP but you must be a nervous wreck with how all these conversations are making you so worried.

That piece is interesting in the context of where America finds itself in the world today. That the land of the free and the home of the brave and the epitome for many generations worldwide of the peak of life goals in 'The American Dream' finds itself in a place where members of its population could possibly present themselves with just cause for an appeal for asylum in another country shows just how far it has fallen.

But you manage to construe that in to RTE advocating for Ireland to be overwhelmed with an influx of immigrants.

You certainly validated part of the article in what was in the final sentence.

If you are concerned about Ireland and the people living there, go and do something to make Ireland a better country for the people living there instead of letting your mind run away with itself with imaginary scenarios.

So because I post and RTE article I'm worried. That's some stretching of logic you're doing. Must be the only exercise you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

That why i said fantasizes in the title. Plus its on their website so they clearly agree with this idea to some degree otherwise it wouldn't be on their websit.

It actually says this in bold at the bottom of the piece
    The views expressed here are those of the author and do not represent or reflect the views of RTÉ

Post is rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The RTE website is a woke joke.

Hardly any real news on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

As of the 2018 the African-American population is roughly 45,109,521. There is no way Ireland accommodate even a fraction of that number showing up at once.
    [...]

1/45,109,521 is a fraction. Is this like the wafer-thin mint in Monty Python's The Meaning Of Life? We'll explode if we consume even one more person?

Oh, sir, it's only a tiny, little, thin one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2020/0629/1150259-african-americans-refugee-status-ireland-racism-direct-provision-law/?fbclid=IwAR1bhwIT1H885aq2YNt7MQ0KJXNAjFmLsrW3NcYM9nVeuNjsowrGcxSQ4Fc

I know this empty virtue signalling, but it shows you how much our national broadcaster is marinating in crazy.

As of the 2018 the African-American population is roughly 45,109,521. There is no way Ireland accommodate even a fraction of that number showing up at once. Our public services can't accommodate the current population no less that much showing up at one.

But surely after their awful treatment in America, they'd be wary of any country with a white-dominated Government.

Would they not be more likely to apply for asylum somewhere like, oh, Nigeria?

Bet the quarter of a million Nigerians living in the US will all be back in their native land the moment normal travel arrangements resume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭noddy69

What a load of absolute garbage.

No need to thank me for the well thought out balanced reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Not surprising if you look at some of the people rte allow to write some of these articles they are as left as you get in this country . Some of them worryingly so trying to dump colonial power problems on us .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

newbie2 wrote: »
    It actually says this in bold at the bottom of the piece

The views expressed here are those of the author and do not represent or reflect the views of RTÉ
    Post is rubbish
    But they still "put it out there" didn't they?
    This is what RTE does. Since they won the Direct Provision "battle" with their incessant push to have it abolished, they now need another cause du jour. And they found it: to address the issue that we in Ireland are "too white" (as stated by our country's leader a number of weeks ago).

We should expect to see and hear a lot more from RTE about our "whiteness", and they will quote and air any liberal report that fixes our "white" problem. Expect to see a cutting edge RTE Investigates reports on "Why are we so white? Why did Ireland allow it to happen?"

Don't forget that you (most of you) are paying money out of your pockets in order to pay for them to publish and broadcast this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Kivaro wrote: »
    But they still "put it out there" didn't they?
    This is what RTE does. Since they won the Direct Provision "battle" with their incessant push to have it abolished, they now need another cause du jour. And they found it: to address the issue that we in Ireland are "too white" (as stated by our country's leader a number of weeks ago).

We should expect to see and hear a lot more from RTE about our "whiteness", and they will quote and air any liberal report that fixes our "white" problem. Expect to see a cutting edge RTE Investigates reports on "Why are we so white? Why did Ireland allow it to happen?"

Don't forget that you (most of you) are paying money out of your pockets in order to pay for them to publish and broadcast this nonsense.

To be fair to RTE,they are merely toeing the line,now required of all media outlets in 'The West'.

A quick perusal of the BBC's various sites reveals a wide spread of articles all designed to rewrite reality in anything to do with History.

The bould Gadaffi may have been a lot more accurate than even he imagined...https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/gaddafi-stop-the-migration-or-europe-turns-black.338528

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

This was an opinion piece in respect of the legal basis for black Americans to seek asylum in Ireland. By a lecturer in law. In the law section of the RTÉ websites opinion and analysis section.

Nowhere in the article did it say anything about advocating for this to happen; merely whether it could happen based on current law.

But of course actually reading more than a title and trying to understand something before angrily typing out a bunch of rubbish would actually require a little time and effort.

ronivek wrote: »
    This was an opinion piece in respect of the legal basis for black Americans to seek asylum in Ireland. By a lecturer in law. In the law section of the RTÉ websites opinion and analysis section.

Nowhere in the article did it say anything about advocating for this to happen; merely whether it could happen based on current law.

But of course actually reading more than a title and trying to understand something before angrily typing out a bunch of rubbish would actually require a little time and effort.
    Ah, get real. It's a prime example of virtue signalling. Concluding with this piece of hyperventilation
    African-American asylum seekers who may eventually be successful in their application for refugee status in Ireland may not need to fear lethal violence from gardaí. However, they may be just as likely to encounter racist treatment and attitudes in Ireland as in their country of origin.
    Yeah, yeah. That's why there's so many Afro-Americans applying for asylum in Burundi.

What part of "I know this is empty virtue signalling" did you snowflakes not understand?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

What part of "I know this is empty virtue signalling" did you snowflakes not understand?

The part that would motivate someone to start a thread on it in the manner you did.

Says it all really. And then calling people who call out your BS as 'snowflakes'. Lol. Go start another thread on how people on the internet are using you to virtue signal. It'll make as much sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

So if the original opinion piece which took some time and effort to produce is ‘empty virtue signalling’; what would you call taking 2 minutes to start a new thread on boards.ie just to try and get a few easy likes for calling out an ‘empty virtue signal’?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

So based upon that can travellers apply to the US for asylum given all the racism they experience and nothing ever being their fault?

So based upon that can travellers apply to the US for asylum given all the racism they experience and nothing ever being their fault?
    Of course.

However, they may be just as likely to encounter racist treatment and attitudes in the US as in their country of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

What about the plight of the most persecuted minority in this country? We could do a persecuted minority cultural exchange program with the USA.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,016 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m quite certain you could handle 1 or 3/45109521

So if the original opinion piece which took some time and effort to produce is ‘empty virtue signalling’; what would you call taking 2 minutes to start a new thread on boards.ie just to try and get a few easy likes for calling out an ‘empty virtue signal’?

Because Irish Govt is stupid enough and cowardly enough to try something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Of course.

However, they may be just as likely to encounter racist treatment and attitudes in the US as in their country of origin.

Its almost as if their own actions cause the problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sarcozies

I'd gladly take in all the African Americans tomorrow if we could swap RTE with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I always wondered what were the real merits of numerous academics and came to the conclusion long ago that many had been stealing a living for years, getting funding to deliver various documents across a variety of areas, usually trying to encourage us to do something we had no intention of ever doing. Documents that usually no one hardly ever reads in full detail, hence the need to commence the work with a single paged summary, saving the chore of having to bother with the remaining 122 pages.

He sounds like an Irish once based in the UK, in that esteemed seat of learning whose existence I was not even aware of - The University of Leicester.

As it is Leicester he must have now been told this week to go back into lockdown, and this is his rallying cry, from his kitchen table/bedroom or wherever he is. I hope his lockdown ends soon. He needs to get out and get some fresh air.

I must be getting old but what purpose does this piece offer? Why? It offers nothing to the current argument. What is the purpose of getting someone to provide such a hypothetical analysis. Of course he sees us all as nasty little racists, see below, if you can't be bothered to read it all.

'African-American asylum seekers who may eventually be successful in their application for refugee status in Ireland may not need to fear lethal violence from gardaí. However, they may be just as likely to encounter racist treatment and attitudes in Ireland as in their country of origin'

Cal4567 wrote: »
    I always wondered what were the real merits of numerous academics and came to the conclusion long ago that many had been stealing a living for years, getting funding to deliver various documents across a variety of areas, usually trying to encourage us to do something we had no intention of ever doing. Documents that usually no one hardly ever reads in full detail, hence the need to commence the work with a single paged summary, saving the chore of having to bother with the remaining 122 pages.

He sounds like an Irish once based in the UK, in that esteemed seat of learning whose existence I was not even aware of - The University of Leicester.

As it is Leicester he must have now been told this week to go back into lockdown, and this is his rallying cry, from his kitchen table/bedroom or wherever he is. I hope his lockdown ends soon. He needs to get out and get some fresh air.

I must be getting old but what purpose does this piece offer? Why? It offers nothing to the current argument. What is the purpose of getting someone to provide such a hypothetical analysis. Of course he sees us all as nasty little racists, see below, if you can't be bothered to read it all.

'African-American asylum seekers who may eventually be successful in their application for refugee status in Ireland may not need to fear lethal violence from gardaí. However, they may be just as likely to encounter racist treatment and attitudes in Ireland as in their country of origin'

A Woman my Mom used to work for said "Having a Degree doesn't make you smart." she was right. These professors prove that.

The poit of this article is just to virtue signal while still pounding the "The Irish are racists." drum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In order to qualify as a refugee, individuals have to (i) show a well-founded fear of (ii) being persecuted (iii)
    for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership of a particular social group.
    They have to (iv) be outside their country of nationality and (v) be unable or unwilling to avail themselves of the protection of that country.

It is important to understand that protection is granted against possible future harm.
    These criteria don't fit black Americans.
    In fact they don't even fit many immigrants into Ireland today.

Advertisement