Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bmw 330e

Options
  • 05-05-2020 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Hi folks looking for a bit of advice. Maybe some mechanics are reading.
    I bought a 2017 bmw 330e in January. It is really clean and only 53k miles. There was a delay of 1 month in collecting the car as there was a strange growling noise from drive train. Garage thought it was gearbox but under warranty bmw main dealer diagnosed and fitted new " flywheel"
    When driving in petrol mode the car revs to almost 1800 rpm before moving, also sometimes a distinct whirring noise on takeoff in electric mode.
    Obvious answer is contact seller or main dealer but they are all still closed for next number of weeks.
    Any advice or possible diagnosis please as worried.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Put your concerns in writing by email now to both.
    Least when they open back up, you have been in contact.

Most likely they have people monitoring their emails so you may get an acknowledgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dealer must have breakdown numbers for emergency on website.
    I wouldnt be driving that. Id have it towed in to them and see if you can get a car off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭User1998

“Whirring” noise is normal

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭boetstark

User1998 wrote: »
    “Whirring” noise is normal

It lasts until I start moving and then stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭User1998

I would have thought its just the noise of the electric motors driving you forward? And then tyre and road noise just mute it from there when you pick up speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭boetstark

User1998 wrote: »
    I would have thought its just the noise of the electric motors driving you forward? And then tyre and road noise just mute it from there when you pick up speed

OK thanks, that makes sense. Just the engine revving to almost 2000rpm before car moves was my main worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

Could you help me out here please. I'm looking at buying a 330E (Maybe around 2017) My commute is roughly 30km each way but there aren't any charging points in work. Will the battery last here & back? It's B road driving averaging around 80km per hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

No. Would last one way maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭whippet

gtothek wrote: »
    Could you help me out here please. I'm looking at buying a 330E (Maybe around 2017) My commute is roughly 30km each way but there aren't any charging points in work. Will the battery last here & back? It's B road driving averaging around 80km per hour.

definitely not - the g20 version will get you approx 42km on full charge based on handy driving - earlier version will probably only get you about 28km.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭gtothek

Excuse my ignorance on this but is the battery not supplemental to the petrol engine? I know the battery on it's own will get you in & around the 28km but it also uses the petrol engine so would this not eke out the battery. I know the mpg will be affected.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

No. Girl in work gets 16km from hers.
    One of the guys can get close to 20km.

Both 2017 330e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

As a side note .. just did an 82km round trip .. rural and motorway. Fully charged at outset .. returned according to trip computer 2.1l/100km .. which included 48km on battery which is 134 mpg. ://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113824746&postcount=100

330e thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058085159&page=8

Even if you only have 16 or 20 km in pure EV, much more can be got out of a phev, no point using all of your battery going up a hill for 1 km when you could use some petrol and have a full battery for the rest of the journey,

Thursday I done 87 km with a single charge and 3.3 l of petrol, 56 km was regen/coasting and EV, works out at 75 mpg. (mitsubishi outlander)

You would get better economy if charged at both ends, but the above examples are not bad for single charge commutes.

Excuse my ignorance on this but is the battery not supplemental to the petrol engine? I know the battery on it's own will get you in & around the 28km but it also uses the petrol engine so would this not eke out the battery. I know the mpg will be affected.

There are various settings to drive and you can select pure electric or one of the hybrid settings.

Pure electric range on that vintage 330e is between 16-25km depending on environmental factors and driving style

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In short, the 330e will take you to work and back as long as you keep some petrol in it.
    If charged every night providing battery power for 30k on battery alone using that battery in ev mode or other mode where it allows engine to work also, id imagine it would easily beat a diesel in terms of cost over those distances. You should get 60 plus mpg on average for the journey plus the small electricity cost.

Over my first 2500km in my 330e I’ve averaged 98mpg (2.8l/100km)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

looking at importing a 171 from the UK.. anything, in particular, to look out for or be mindful of? reliability, for the most part seems ok from what I can find (I hope!).

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BLUEZEN15

Just wondering if anybody has experience of trading in a 530e after 3/4 years with around 100k km on them? I'm considering buying a 201 530e with about 10k on it and normally do about 30k a year mostly commuting 60km round trip to work every day where can charge at work. Normally have traded my previous cars when around 100km on them but wondering if fact that warranty for battery only covers up to 100k km/ 6 years, will dealers claim the value has dropped more because its going to be out of warranty and will cost them to provide a further warranty on it?

Advertisement