Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed van on M50?

Options
  • 06-05-2020 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Got done for speeding last Wednesday (29/04) on M50 - just got the letter in the post today. Apparently around Diswellstown, D15 so exit 6-ish. Was going 126km/h which is fair enough as it is above limit, but suppose the frustrating part is, I definitely was following the flow of traffic, not moving into 2nd overtaking lane.

The question is though, where could the van be positioned, if it in fact was a van? Looking at the picture it looks ground level and front of car, but hard to judge it for certain as it is heavily cropped to just show the plate and a bit of the front of the car.

Could it be from the back of a moving vehicle also?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭blueser

It's annoying when you get done, and there's others doing the same speed and nothing happens to them. Happened to me in Ballinacarrow, Sligo a good few years back. 65 in a fifty zone. I saw the blue flashing light in my rear view mirror a mile or so further on Fair cop. When I asked the garda how come I got nailed when traffic up ahead of me, that I wasn't gaining on, weren't pulled, I was told it was because I was at the back of the line of traffic. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭drinkingwater

zurek wrote: »
    Got done for speeding last Wednesday (29/04) on M50 - just got the letter in the post today. Apparently around Diswellstown, D15 so exit 6-ish. Was going 126km/h which is fair enough as it is above limit, but suppose the frustrating part is, I definitely was following the flow of traffic, not moving into 2nd overtaking lane.

The question is though, where could the van be positioned, if it in fact was a van? Looking at the picture it looks ground level and front of car, but hard to judge it for certain as it is heavily cropped to just show the plate and a bit of the front of the car.

Northbound just before exit 6? That's the only spot I have ever seen a speed van around that area

• Registered Users Posts: 81,154 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Northbound just before exit 6? That's the only spot I have ever seen a speed van around that area

Life expectancy of the operator must be measured in weeks, crazy place to have one without any protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just be aware the Gardai have new equipment which records your speed and picture.....

They no longer have to stop you....

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Just be aware the Gardai have new equipment which records your speed and picture.....

They no longer have to stop you....

Unmarked cars as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

AGS can catch you from on top of an overpass or if parked up on a slip road and they don't need to pull you over with the new equipment either.

antodeco wrote: »
    Unmarked cars as well?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

bazz26 wrote: »
    AGS can catch you from on top of an overpass or if parked up on a slip road and they don't need to pull you over with the new equipment either.

They don't need to, but their Twitter feed suggests they still are? Lots of posts with pics of the new guns and cars pulled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

26% above the limit,so your speedo could have been showing over 130.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Don't just do what everyone else is doing. You need to be responsible for your own driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 zurek

Don't just do what everyone else is doing. You need to be responsible for your own driving.

I did say fair enough, my bad, but I'm of the opinion that it's safer to follow the general flow of traffic in terms of speed if all cars are moving in similar fashion. Less lane changing.

Going to work this morning, I did maintain a 100 across and was overtaken by literally everyone but a banged up Micra 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2 unisonraids

Can the speed Van's on the M50 see both sides? I know theres a wall inbetween the northbound and southbound sides so was wondering if they could see across that on the opposite side.

Can the speed Van's on the M50 see both sides? I know theres a wall inbetween the northbound and southbound sides so was wondering if they could see across that on the opposite side.

They would not be able to read 6 lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭kirving

vandriver wrote: »
    26% above the limit,so your speedo could have been showing over 130.

I don't understand how that makes someone more or less wrong?

If it read 150km/h when doing 126km/h, that wouldn't change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I did say fair enough, my bad, but I'm of the opinion that it's safer to follow the general flow of traffic in terms of speed if all cars are moving in similar fashion. Less lane changing.

Going to work this morning, I did maintain a 100 across and was overtaken by literally everyone but a banged up Micra ��

so what? just worry about what you are doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They would not be able to read 6 lanes

It's more so 10 lanes, with 5 lanes each side for the large part of it, when you think of hard shoulder, aux lane, 3 driving lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Laurence121

Got done i think yesterfoing 115 just by junction 11 north bound in the rain at 540 any other time there be a traffic jam ..should be allowed 120 blue signs mean motorway 120 green signs mean 100 its a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭vandriver

Got done i think yesterfoing 115 just by junction 11 north bound in the rain at 540 any other time there be a traffic jam ..should be allowed 120 blue signs mean motorway 120 green signs mean 100 its a joke
    Apart from your driving,are you a bit slow?
    It's been 100 km/h since 2005.Its well signposted.
    It's strange that you bring up the (bad) driving conditions,and juxtapose them with your admitted speeding.Are we to presume that if the road was dry,you'd really push on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I remember thinking when the speed limit was reduced to 100 it was crazy. But after driving on it a few times with 3 or 4 lanes, 100 is definitely a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

if it was a gosafe van that caught you, you can request a copy of the full picture. Not sure if the cops are obliged to do the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Life is hard, and then you drive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement