Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most efficient way to run heat pump?

Options
  • 02-07-2020 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

I am interested in peoples thorughts on the most efficient way to run a heat pump. House has been renovated, new heat pump, approx 270 SQ M, underfloor heating downstairs, rads upstairs, A2 BER, air tight, heat recovery and 5KW PV with battery.

Currently just providing hotwater, no heating on. I have not experimented with the heating controls but I do need to change the schedules as I think we can cut back on when the pump is running.

What kind of heating schedules have people configured on heat pumps? ie off during night etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,077 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ec_pc wrote: »
    I am interested in peoples thorughts on the most efficient way to run a heat pump. House has been renovated, new heat pump, approx 270 SQ M, underfloor heating downstairs, rads upstairs, A2 BER, air tight, heat recovery and 5KW PV with battery.

Currently just providing hotwater, no heating on. I have not experimented with the heating controls but I do need to change the schedules as I think we can cut back on when the pump is running.

What kind of heating schedules have people configured on heat pumps? ie off during night etc

So, it depends! :)

- You shouldnt turn the HP off entirely for hours on end (e.g. only running it from 12-18). It will be a false economy and just give you wider swings in your temperatures.

- You should be utilising night rate electricity.

- Since you have SolarPV you should be timing the HP to do all the water heating after the sun rises but before night rate finishes (9am in summer). The exact time will depend on what your normal time for a morning shower is.... the later you leave it the better as your SolarPV will be generating more but dont let it go outside the night rate hours for heating hot water and bear in mind that changes to 8am in winter.

- Some heat pumps will top up the water during the day. I turned mine off and only heat it during the night rate hours. Works for us. Check your settings on that but it depends on how big your tank is and how much water you use.

- I dont know how your HP works but mine allows me to throttle it up/down rather than a full on/off. So what I do is I have it throttled back in the hour or two before night rate kicks in and then it recovers that lost heat on night rate and then I throttle it up in the hour or two before night rate finishes so that it doesnt need to run for the first few hours of day rate.... basically I'm maximising the amount of time it runs on night rate but not turning it off during the day.

- After that its just a case of try it out and see what works for you and your house as everyone will be different based on their lifestyle and what they consider a comfortable temperature. The main thing is to get it to a consistent temp 24/7 and not have it swinging wildly because of settings you've made.

Advertisement