Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Was that for the Koda 12 or one of the others? Post May 8 for koda 12 lists as not shipping until late August.
    The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah got my email yesterday. Ordered 20th May, shipped yesterday, currently in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Was that for the Koda 12 or one of the others? Post May 8 for koda 12 lists as not shipping until late August.

Fyra

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

Did anyone ever try the pallas frozen dough? I'm intrigued

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

One point to consider: yesterday I wandered into a local polish shop and got 100g of fresh yeast for 50c - have never seen something to rise and bubble up so much. Was actually intrigued!

If you’re having trouble finding yeast maybe drop into your nearest polish shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭wandererz

Springwell wrote: »

Doesn't really matter anymore :

"
    Thank you for visiting the Pallas Foods Click & Collect website.

While we set up Click & Collect at the start of the lockdown and saw it evolve over the course of the last eight weeks, we have decided to close the Click & Collect service and consolidate resources in support of our trade customers who are now opening back up for business.

Thank you for your custom and if you would like to become a trade customer of Pallas Foods please contact us"

Boll*cks.

• Advertisement

They stocked 2 types. I went for the cheaper option.
    La Boulangerie, 35 dough pucks X 185g for about €18.

I found that to make a decent 12" with crust it was better to use 2 x pucks.

Altogether, nice & simple. Just remove the dough from the freezer and allow to defrost & expand for 4hrs or longer and use.
    Alternatively, place in fridge to thaw overnight.

Provides an authentic base without having to bother with mixing.

Also much better than the premade bases from the shops.

This and the other brand they stock is used by restaurants, hotels etc. It saves them having to make bases from scratch at short notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

wandererz wrote: »
    Doesn't really matter anymore :

"
    Thank you for visiting the Pallas Foods Click & Collect website.

While we set up Click & Collect at the start of the lockdown and saw it evolve over the course of the last eight weeks, we have decided to close the Click & Collect service and consolidate resources in support of our trade customers who are now opening back up for business.

Thank you for your custom and if you would like to become a trade customer of Pallas Foods please contact us"

Boll*cks.

Thats a shame as they have lots of stuff thats tricky to get otherwise, things like wild boar steak.

Not sure why they dont keep it going and expand their resources rather than concentrating them on the trade sector. They could have created some extra jobs out of it.

Huh, I was on the website earlier and no hint of that message!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Not sure why they dont keep it going and expand their resources rather than concentrating them on the trade sector. They could have created some extra jobs out of it.

I'd say it's a combination of their trade customers not wanting to be undercut as they're reopening and threatening to pull their business if Pallas continued, and logistics of having a non-trade collection point at their depots. I picked up from Park West a couple of times and it was fine as there were no trucks around. I'd say it would be a different story if you were trying to negotiate around a bunch of artics.

FYI.

Musgrave have this:
    Doughballs Frozen 12 Inch 270g(IQF), Size - 55 X 12INH

Brand is Europizza.
    Here's some background.
    https://europizzaproducts.com/en/euro-pizza-products/new-york-pizza

Need a trade account as well, if you know someone who has one (I do, if you are around the D15 area).

It's €22 for 55. That's darned good.
    €0.40 per dough ball compared to €4 per two pack Italian pizza bases in Tesco, Aldi etc. and much better quality.

The other good bit is that they stock pizza meat balls, pepperoni etc.

So, everything you need to do a pizza quickly if you are all stocked up.

Using the pallas dough and Musgraves ingredients I made about 20 pizzas in the Ooni Koda in the last 3 weeks for ourselves, friends and family.

€25 or more average spend with a pizza company compared to €3 or less at home for 2 pizzas.

• Advertisement

For those questioning why one would buy dough balls or even pre-made bases:

Other than expediency,

One reason is that some people have problems with their hands, fingers, joints etc which makes kneading & pressing out a base painful.

This also does not stop one from experimenting with one's own doughs as well. It's just handier at short notice and if busy or if you just can't be bovvered.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thats a shame as they have lots of stuff thats tricky to get otherwise, things like wild boar steak.

It's most likely to do with contracts.
    Like a lot of companies, deals are done for a price. Cannot sell to public. But because of covid19 it went out the window, to save them going bust. Now they are all opening up, contracts comes back in place.
    Common practice unfortunately

Pallas did click and collect for years before covid - you collected from the warehouse near the airport not the collection points they set up during Covid. I've been buying frozen mince as dog food plus some dry goods since about 2014 ish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_9h6VKm9c&list=PL7brzSSRL8icwn721z5pFHaxQRpUNRj4x

So I took the advice above and cooked last night's pizzas without the mozzarella, which I added later. Verdict?

Despite being able to hear the extra crunchiness when I was cutting the pizza and my assurances that it would all taste the same, everyone wanted their mozzarella cooked with the pizza!

I live with dinosaurs! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q_9h6VKm9c&list=PL7brzSSRL8icwn721z5pFHaxQRpUNRj4x

So I took the advice above and cooked last night's pizzas without the mozzarella, which I added later. Verdict?

Despite being able to hear the extra crunchiness when I was cutting the pizza and my assurances that it would all taste the same, everyone wanted their mozzarella cooked with the pizza!

I live with dinosaurs! :rolleyes:

I watched some of his other videos and he cooks the mozzarella. I think this was just a suggestion for a variation - or maybe to suit domestic ovens.

In that video he says the W factor is very important. I can’t find that on the flour packet, even on the 5 Stagioni that he is advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I managed to get myself one of the Dough Bros DIY kits from their first delivery to Dublin. Had the margherita last night and it was lovely. Going to have the Peter Stinger tonight, but change the cooking method slightly; their instructions say 200 fan for 6-12 minutes. I gave it 9 and the cheese was perfect but the base could have been a *tiny* bit crisper. Tomorrow I'll put the oven onto full whack, leave it to preheat for an extra half hour or so and give the pizza 5-6 minutes at that.

I also ordered an Uno box for my sister that should arrive today, I'll be interested to see what she thinks. It differs from Dough Bros in that you get dough balls rather than pre-done bases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Anyone in n Wicklow south Dublin. Firehouse bakery and the pigeon house in delgany do pizza kits with 4 dough balls, sauce cheese dips and meat for €20 collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Ooni pro struggling in the wind and cold tonight but got the job done. Great Irish Summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Ooni pro struggling in the wind and cold tonight but got the job done. Great Irish Summer...

Pic attached this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

RonnieL wrote: »
    For anyone interested in getting dough trays and flour storage, this combo just came back into stock on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V473C2H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_kUZ6EbCJAT07A

I wanted a slightly different combination, so I ordered direct from https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/

Thanks for the tip! This is a bit of a game changer for me having the storage. I can knock up a decent batch of dough balls to last most the week or have lots for when family show up.

• Advertisement

How long from getting a shipping notification from Ooni was there before it was delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭donalh087

Got a shipping notification 25th (last Thurs). Still not showing on the Irish GLS site.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

The Nal wrote: »
    How long from getting a shipping notification from Ooni was there before it was delivered?

In my case, about a week, was delivered with DPD back in April

Capture.png

Just written Ooni a stinking email. Their website is totally useless when it comes to giving info when they're going to ship my order. They give info for orders from 26th May but nothing for orders prior to this date.

Tried the Live Chat but they have no access to any information - what's the bloody point?!

Luckily, I got an oven secondhand so I'm chasing for the guy who bought my order but I'd be very tempted to tell them to shove their oven where the sun don't shine. Useless communication, just useless! :mad:

Just written Ooni a stinking email. Their website is totally useless when it comes to giving info when they're going to ship my order. They give info for orders from 26th May but nothing for orders prior to this date.

Tried the Live Chat but they have no access to any information - what's the bloody point?!

Luckily, I got an oven secondhand so I'm chasing for the guy who bought my order but I'd be very tempted to tell them to shove their oven where the sun don't shine. Useless communication, just useless! :mad:

Mine shipped last Thursday, was in Amsterdam last Thursday.

Just check there, still in Amsterdam.

tenor.gif?itemid=13853066

Just had an auto response from Ooni re my email. They promise to get back to me within 21 days! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

That'll be working days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

RonnieL wrote: »
    For anyone interested in getting dough trays and flour storage, this combo just came back into stock on amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07V473C2H/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_kUZ6EbCJAT07A

I wanted a slightly different combination, so I ordered direct from https://www.solentplastics.co.uk/

Ordered these just there - good find. I have another proofing box but it won't fit in my fridge - these will.

If you haven't already - try cold-proove your dough. Method is - Make your dough as normal allow to double, ball and put in fridge for 24 hours or more. a few hours before you want the pizza take it out and get to room temp.

These boxes mean you can do all the cold-prooving and warming without having to go near the dough and introducing any air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Ordered these just there - good find. I have another proofing box but it won't fit in my fridge - these will.

If you haven't already - try cold-proove your dough. Method is - Make your dough as normal allow to double, ball and put in fridge for 24 hours or more. a few hours before you want the pizza take it out and get to room temp.

These boxes mean you can do all the cold-prooving and warming without having to go near the dough and introducing any air.

I dont ball until after 2/3 days in the fridge. I'd have the dough out of the fridge that morning and leave until the afternoon, then ball about 90 minutes before I use them.

I find that balling up before 3 days in there uses way too much fridge space, no difference in the end product.

Maybe I need a bigger fridge.

Advertisement