Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pizza ovens

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

There seems to be an obsession to get 500c, but genuinely at those temps, I believe its a little too hot and you might get charred (burned) bases.

I find anywhere between 430 and 460 is the sweet spot, have launched at just under 500 before and it ends up in a burnt base very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

This is really a good point. I have been using the Ooni Fyra, the last couple of weeks with great success. As long as you keep the pellets topped up (my 11 year old is the pellet guy), the heat is really there. In fact, if you leave it between pizzas for 4/5 minutes, its actually too hot, so I leave the door open for 10 seconds before loading.

There seems to be an obsession to get 500c, but genuinely at those temps, I believe its a little too hot and you might get charred (burned) bases.

Agreed, i’ve ruined pizzas at 500c. 370c works perfect for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Comerman wrote: »
    Didn't get great reviews on https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hacienda-Multifunction-Fired-Black-56173/product-reviews/B00XWC2088

Also I think think I saw similar in the Range or somewhere and it's a very flimsy thing which I don't think would retain heat very well. I was going to get one too with the idea that if it didn't cook pizza's it would make a grand patio heater :-)

agreed, wouldnt go near the thing

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭RonnieL

mcbert wrote: »
    Can anyone comment on the ones coming to Lidl? Nothing fancy I'm sure, but would it be a worth or a waste of time?

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq/freestanding-outdoor-multi-function-oven-bbq-pizza-oven/p44397

Thanks.

Awful. Complete waste of time and money. Bought the Aldi equivalent a couple of years ago, and it was a disaster. Sold it for 40 quid and I was delighted to see the back of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mick_g08

Can anyone comment on the ones coming to Lidl? Nothing fancy I'm sure, but would it be a worth or a waste of time?

Thanks.

I was all set to head to Lidl early on Thursday and buy one of these 3 in 1 pizza oven smokers, and stumbled across this thread. Having read all 57 pages of the thread, and researching a lot online, I'm now certain I won't be getting one and that it's a waste of money!

I'm making my own dough and sauce for the past year, cooking on baking paper on a stone in conventional electric oven at max 250c. The results are good and friends and family love it, but I'm thinking now it's time to either invest in an Ooni Kona or build my own wood fired oven. Building might be too ambitious for a few years with two kiddies under 4!

One question I saw asked a good few pages back (but don't remember seeing an answer) was if anyone had bought the Kona 30 or 50 mBar and just changed the regulator to a 37mBar. Did Ooni say this was ok to do?

The 37 is currently only delivering in September according to Ooni website, whereas 30 is end of July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭Ryath

Yea you can just swap it yourself.
    https://shop.calorgas.ie/essentials-37mbar-low-pressure-propane-screw-on-gas-regulator-roi.html?currency=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0Mb3BRCaARIsAPSNGpWcr_q_f5ohkdbfJiiMBQ_jkN3PFRI-dApPIIja20Locx2wMGr-e4UaAoskEALw_wcB

Was debating doing it myself to get the adaptor for the Karu but I think I'll wait I'm finding the charcoal quick enough to heat up and it's handy light there's such a good draw on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Comerman

Hi folks, I finally found some wheat gluten and want to give it a go but how much do you add to your flour? Is there a certain percentage maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hi folks, I finally found some wheat gluten and want to give it a go but how much do you add to your flour? Is there a certain percentage maybe?

there are calculators, you have to know the desired %, current flour % and your gluten powder %

https://instacalc.com/52460

Post your figures if you want people to double check if it sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Alkers

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/summer-bbq/freestanding-outdoor-multi-function-oven-bbq-pizza-oven/p44397

Thanks.

Has been discussed a few times in this thread, not worth buying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Comerman

rubadub wrote: »
    there are calculators, you have to know the desired %, current flour % and your gluten powder %

https://instacalc.com/52460

Post your figures if you want people to double check if it sounds right.
    Thanks rubadub
    For 2 (large) 56% hydration
    I use 387g pizza flour
    217ml water
    7.7g salt
    0.7g dried yeast
    7.7g sugar

I think your calculator says use 11g if I've used it right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭el_gaucho

Does that wheat gluten affect the flavour or texture of the dough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

el_gaucho wrote: »
    Does that wheat gluten affect the flavour or texture of the dough?

IMHO It makes it a lot stretchier and elastic. The dough is more like a commercial pizza than an Neapolitan style one which some people like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thanks rubadub
    For 2 (large) 56% hydration
    I use 387g pizza flour
    217ml water
    7.7g salt
    0.7g dried yeast
    7.7g sugar

I think your calculator says use 11g if I've used it right

The calculator had example figures put in already, you have to change it to your own.

Your 11g figure was outputted using their examples (unless by coincidence it did happen to be the same)

i.e. it said its own flour was 12.6% and its gluten was 66.7%

Holland and barrett gluten is 81%
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/holland-barrett-vital-wheat-gluten-60007422?skuid=007422

So you would need only 9grams if your flour was 12.6% and you wanted it to be as high as 14.2%

12.6% is high enough already.

Odlums strong flour is 12.1%

This pizza flour is only 11.2%
    https://collect.pallasfoods.com/pizza-00-flour-fast-proving-1x10-kg-490312.html

Some here might have recommendations, I do not really know myself, just know how to check the calculations!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Ooni order on the way!

Stupid question, does it come with wood pellets? Cant see it on the order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

The Nal wrote: »
    Ooni order on the way!

Stupid question, does it come with wood pellets? Cant see it on the order.

No just the oven ,you'll have to get your own pellets.

No just the oven ,you'll have to get your own pellets.

Trip to Woodies needed so. Actually need a BBQ table for that and a few bits anyway.

The Nal wrote: »
    Trip to Woodies needed so. Actually need a BBQ table for that and a few bits anyway.

Which oven did you get?,i got the Karu myself a few weeks ago and i bought this table in Ikea its perfect for it i actually got two tables but the other one looks like its out of stock.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-storage-cabinet-outdoor-brown-stained-stainless-steel-colour-s09129999/

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Which oven did you get?,i got the Karu myself a few weeks ago and i bought this table in Ikea its perfect for it i actually got two tables but the other one looks like its out of stock.

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/aepplaroe-klasen-storage-cabinet-outdoor-brown-stained-stainless-steel-colour-s09129999/

Is that tall enough? I currently have my Ooni on the garden table and I end up cooking pizza on my knees! Thinking of building something so the oven is chest height.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

We got one of these for the Koda. It's cheap but sturdy and takes a minute to set up. Best of all, it rolls away into its bag and takes up no room in the shed. For use I normally just plonk a garden chair beside it so I can keep an eye on the pizzas and I find that works fine. Otherwise you would end up kneeling or hunched over to see what's happening.

Is that tall enough? I currently have my Ooni on the garden table and I end up cooking pizza on my knees! Thinking of building something so the oven is chest height.

Yep its tall enough its perfect for it

• Advertisement

Cheers. I got the Fyra but I need something a bit bigger as Ive a Weber smoker and Im always stuck for a place to put down the lid, rack etc when Im moving stuff about.

I need a 4 or 5 foot wide catering type table. A fold up maybe. Think Woodies do them cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Springwell

proadventure.co.uk have the Frya in stock

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭fmul9798

Anyone seeing any movement on their order for a koda from April 26 or just after? They shifted the shipping from mid June to early July a few weeks ago, so wondering if there is any movement.

fmul9798 wrote: »
    Anyone seeing any movement on their order for a koda from April 26 or just after? They shifted the shipping from mid June to early July a few weeks ago, so wondering if there is any movement.

Yeah got my email yesterday. Ordered 20th May, shipped yesterday, currently in Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Mick_g08 wrote: »
    I was all set to head to Lidl early on Thursday and buy one of these 3 in 1 pizza oven smokers, and stumbled across this thread. Having read all 57 pages of the thread, and researching a lot online, I'm now certain I won't be getting one and that it's a waste of money!

I'm making my own dough and sauce for the past year, cooking on baking paper on a stone in conventional electric oven at max 250c. The results are good and friends and family love it, but I'm thinking now it's time to either invest in an Ooni Kona or build my own wood fired oven. Building might be too ambitious for a few years with two kiddies under 4!

One question I saw asked a good few pages back (but don't remember seeing an answer) was if anyone had bought the Kona 30 or 50 mBar and just changed the regulator to a 37mBar. Did Ooni say this was ok to do?

The 37 is currently only delivering in September according to Ooni website, whereas 30 is end of July.

Received my roccbox this week and replaced the propane connector with butane. Works perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

replaced the propane connector with butane.

90de7ca01997483eeb9f63d8acd952ce.jpg

loyatemu wrote: »

But not before checking with gozney which says either is acceptable

loyatemu wrote: »
    See attached

• Registered Users Posts: 68,124 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You're rather missing the joke.

Search for "strickland propane"

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    You're rather missing the joke.

Search for "strickland propane"

Ah. Have never seen " king of the hill" more of a family guy man!

Advertisement