Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calls for Minister for Children Roderic O'Gorman to resign..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

DeadHand wrote: »
    I disagree.

The most frightening thing about the whole affair, to me, is that a person who has expressed enormous admiration for a character such as Thatchell now has huge influence over the children of Ireland.

The Minister has, at the very least, displayed terrible judgement. I dearly hope that’s the extent of it.

I think you are massively overstating what the Minister for Children can do. Huge influence! :confused:

redunited wrote: »
    Maybe plenty of politicians do support Romeo and Juliet laws, I dont however beleive the Minister of Children should or be associated with anyone who does.

Too many quesitons to be asked im afraid, either he makes a statement or this is not going away.

Lots of parents like me are disgusted in what we have seen and read.

We need an explanation and some sort of reassurance from the Minister.

Is any major news outlet classifying this as a story? It's up there with Zappone being a witch. The only people pushing it are pizza gate types. Also do you think a thirteen year old sleeping with a fourteen year old should result in one of them being prosecuted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

thread is bizarre.
    usual suspects falling over themselves to defend and deflect from the minister. Suddenly the abhorrence of pedophilia puts you in league with Gemma. Such mental gymnastics would be funny if the topic wasn't so serious

Somehow I doubt this defence would be so robust if the minister was heterosexual. The lengths people will go to be so right-on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

paw patrol wrote: »
    thread is bizarre.
    usual suspects falling over themselves to defend and deflect from the minister. Suddenly the abhorrence of pedophilia puts you in league with Gemma. Such mental gymnastics would be funny if the topic wasn't so serious

Somehow I doubt this defence would be so robust if the minister was heterosexual. The lengths people will go to be so right-on :rolleyes:

The most amusing part is the fact that their defense is that guilt by association is wrong. Guilt by association is certainly wrong, but it's an ideological tactic that probably ever person using such a defense, has used against their enemies regularly.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

It's like that time Young Fine Gael said something similar and there was outcry all round. Oh wait, there wasn't......
    Meanwhile Young Fine Gael has come out in support of lowering the age of consent.

It called for an criminal liability to be absolved where the ages of consenting individuals was less than two years apart.

“A lower age of consent will bring our laws into line with other EU countries and provide the legal recognition that people are having sex at a younger age,” the organisation’s president Dale McDermott said in a statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭KaneToad

O'Gorman needs to think more carefully about his tweeting going forward. He was gushing about his praise about Tatchell upon meeting him: 'delighted' and 'legendary'.

Presumably he's a fan. I would speculate that anyone who fought for gay rights would admire the work that Tatchell did, in this regard.

However, Tatchell does (did) express controversial views about sexual relations between young people and older people albeit in an old letter to a newspaper:

"Several of my friends gay and straight, male and female had sex with adults from the ages of nine to 13. None feel they were abused. All say it was their conscious choice and gave them great joy."

This is the conundrum for people, like O'Gorman, who admire the work of Peter Tatchell.

I don't think that most people who want some comment from O'Gorman are homophobes or Gemma O'Doherty supporters. I would think most rational people would take issue with Tatchells 1997 letter. You could argue that Tatchell was just stating a fact and offers no opinion further than that. But I think that argument is weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Whestsidestory

It is not acceptable that this man remain Minister for Children, any parent or concerned individual should petition for his resignation. Why on earth with his association's would this appointment have been considered. If people care about children he has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

He explicitly said he didn't condone it. So no I think you're you're entirely misrepresenting his stance. You'll find plenty of politicians do support Romeo and Juliet laws. The reality is thirteen year olds do have sex and if it happens with someone similarly aged, I don't think it should be a criminal offence. That is Tatchell's stance.

I imagine most would be of a similar view. But sure continue to misrepresent.

The reality is that some people drink and drive too - should that no longer be a criminal offence either?

The idea of laws are to discourage ordinary folk from doing harmful sh!t. Laws will never stop ignorant folk from doing harmful sh!t, but they give us a tool to remove them from continuing to do said harmful sh!t to society.

It's fascinating to watch the fervent Left campaigns in recent times: Abolish the police, blur the lines on underage sex, #MeToo, etc... etc...

A mad box of contradictions altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

screenshot-37-png.10156

Our minister for Children does seem to have some strange tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Danno wrote: »
    The reality is that some people drink and drive too - should that no longer be a criminal offence either?

The idea of laws are to discourage ordinary folk from doing harmful sh!t. Laws will never stop ignorant folk from doing harmful sh!t, but they give us a tool to remove them from continuing to do said harmful sh!t to society.

It's fascinating to watch the fervent Left campaigns in recent times: Abolish the police, blur the lines on underage sex, #MeToo, etc... etc...

A mad box of contradictions altogether.

So if a 13 year old boy and 13 year old girl have consentual sex the boy should be charged with statutory rape?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

screenshot-37-png.10156

It's a very famous painting...what has this to do with anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

He's a way with words, it's not someone the minister for children should be associating with or have associated with in the past.

quote-the-positive-nature-of-some-child-adult-sexual-relationships-is-not-confined-to-non-peter-tatchell-73-42-37.jpg

We had all this with Norris before and his Isralie friend, we don't need a minster with similar baggage again.

The difference is that Norris had made official representations to a foreign power to help his former lover beat a child-sex charge.

Here O'Gorman took a selfie with a figure of considerable stature within his community.

There's really no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Moghead wrote: »
    So if a 13 year old boy and 13 year old girl have consentual sex the boy should be charged with statutory rape?

Both should be charged, equality and all that buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Really scraping the barrel now. It's a retweet of someone else humorously reenacting an acknowledged artistic masterpiece, not a manifesto.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Closing this for cleanup, seeing as more than a handful people are not able to discuss like adults. Will reopen shortly.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: Thread reopened. Irrelevant drivel and homophobic posts (and poster) removed. A couple of things:

Criticism of a gay man for his poor choice of personal associates isn't in itself homophobia, any more than questioning a straight man for the same associations would be. There is plenty of scope for that discussion to take place.

That being said, anybody attempting to make a like for like comparison (gay=pedophile) will be nuked without recourse.

<edit>Also, to our tinfoil hat wearing brethren out there, drop the MAPS conspiracy theory. It's a ridiculously tenuous stretch to say the least, and if nothing else, it's going to force me to look at the "Interesting Maps" thread in a very different light.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Moghead

Danno wrote: »
    Both should be charged, equality and all that buzz.

What would that achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

I don't quite follow this reference in his tweet to @DCYAPress.

@DCYAPress seems to be a parody account, with an upsidedown harp logo.

https://twitter.com/DCYApress/status/1277752337365426176

Still no mainstream media comment on this. Like, he does need to be asked the basic question of whether he agrees with Tatchell's views as they directly impinge on his new brief.

I suspect what he'll be discovering is how some views, that are probably really edgy and cool if you're a DCU law lecturer, melt in three seconds when they have to intersect with reality.

I suspect he'll find this in the immigration space, too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Peter Thatchell has been a tireless advocate for LGBT rights for 50 years, first campaigning in the 1970s and 1980s for rights for gay people when they were discriminated against, fired for their sexuality and targeted in the huge right wing backlash against the gay community in the time of the AIDS crisis.

In recent years he has turned his attention to campaigning for LGBT rights in less enlightened places such as Russia, African counties and the Middle East. The man has devoted his entire life to fighting for equality and justice for sexual minorities.

Because Roderic O'Gorman is a gay man himself and has links to Thatchell, that makes him unfit for his new role of Minister for Children? Total bullsh*t. This is nothing more than a homophobic smear campaign which rolls out the old rubbish that gay men are perverts, a danger to children etc.

And for those posters who should know better thanking the OP in this thread...shame on you!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

the biggest favour gemma did roderick is being the one who broke the story. if it had been any half way reputable source he might, MIGHT, have had to make a statement but since it was gemma, that's an end of it.

• Advertisement

I don't quite follow this reference in his tweet to @DCYAPress.

@DCYAPress seems to be a parody account, with an upsidedown harp logo.

Looks like he accidentally tagged the wrong account, @DCYAPress instead of @DeptDCYA. I don't use Twitter, but if he started typing @DCYA, would @DCYAPress come up as a suggestion, and you just click it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Still no mainstream media comment on this. Like, he does need to be asked the basic question of whether he agrees with Tatchell's views as they directly impinge on his new brief.

There's no mainstream media comment on it because it's utter tripe; even compared to some of the stuff they tend to publish.

Even if you accept the premise that the views expressed in 1997 "impinge on his new brief"; the fact he appeared in a picture with someone in a completely different context some 20 years after the fact implies absolutely nothing about his views on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Ask Rodericks friend Peter ho believes children like having sex with adults

A nice example of fallacy of composition - "If ones like that they're all like that".

Peter Tatchell may be a gay pedophile sympathiser, but that doesn't mean all gays are pedophile sympathisers. It's the same as a black person looking at him and saying all white men are pedophile sympathisers.

It's not a very cohesive argument

YB5KKUU.gif

Mod: Obvious troll is obvious. Don't post in the thread again.

Others - stop responding to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Looks like he accidentally tagged the wrong account, @DCYAPress instead of @DeptDCYA. I don't use Twitter, but if he started typing @DCYA, would @DCYAPress come up as a suggestion, and you just click it?
    I don't know, but it looks like he's not having a great start in the job.

At some stage, surely some reasonable journalist will notice things and ask a few questions.

I mean, didn't Zappone get coverage for some hyperactive nonsense she'd written as a theologian, where she'd aaid how she'd ponced about in the woods with some looper called Sparrowhawk while reciting the opening lines from Macbeth.

This is more serious than that. Never heard of this guy before, and I will admit to a bias against people with names like "Roderic" without the "k".

But that's not why we've a public interest in knowing this views.

And whether he can identify his own Department, and not mistake it for a parody account with an upsidedown harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The original premise of the OP was a tenuous, stretch at best. How the hell has this thread got over 200 posts!

I don't know, but it looks like he's not having a great start in the job

Has anything good ever come out of posting on Twitter? I know people think they need it to reach their audience, but it seems to me that you just risk reaching everyone else that you don’t really want to and fcuking it up along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

Aligning with Tatchell is incredibly poor judgement on the part of O Gorman. Tatchell wrote on a lengthy interview with a 14 year old who had been clearly groomed, in and out of care homes and there were very clear child protection issues. He did nothing to protect this child. Instead, he seeks to normalize children having sex with adults and much older adults at that. His views are well documented, this is not one isolated edited guardian letter... this man pursues this ideology and O Gorman references him as a legend. Having concerns in this regard is not homophobic and going down this route isn't worthy of discussion. Tatchell attempts to normalize paedophilia, has associations with those in the Paedophile Information Exchange. Enough said .. you cant defend the indefensible. This is about the worst possible start O Gorman could have in a new role and whether he remains, this will continue to follow him unless he addresses it. The radio silence from him and the Green Party will only feed any conspiracy theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

The original premise of the OP was a tenuous, stretch at best. How the hell has this thread got over 200 posts!

Emotive issues bring out the crazies I suppose; even the merest whiff of paedophilia is enough to send people into orbit.

Ironically the main argument Tatchell was making in his 1997 letter was that reasoned and informed debate should be encouraged and other points of view taken into consideration and not dismissed just because they're emotive or difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Don’t know the first thing about O’Gorman but I think it’s fair to ask him to make a statement about the issues raised. It’s kind of odd how enthusiastic he is about tatchell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement