Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you make any assumptions based on the brand someone uses?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

I find it endearing when adults like sweets/chocolates that are targeted to kids. Its an incredibly minor thing but some people think your age defines what you can or can't eat.

I usually get a happy meal after a night of drinking. Life is about the simple pleasures like playing with bey blades drunk on the footpath y'know...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm sorry but that's just not true. The prices are not the same, there's a significant difference between the two.

There's also a significant difference between 12 and 4gb ram. Apple have the A13 in its arsenal. That's good for them but the other suppliers will catch up soon enough and for less money.

In regards apps and otb I didn't notice any of the iPods I owned being any more stable than a generic mp4 and the web is littered with stories of issues with apple iOS. Just my experience.

I accept your argument about throwing together phones with on paper spec that doesn't benchmark well but you need to also accept that until the A13 came out, they was nothing in the iPhones that set it apart. Sometimes it scored better, sometimes it didn't but it always cost more.

The S10 starts at €769 on Samsung's online store while the iPhone 11 starts at €829 on Apple's online store. I'd call that broadly similar, though there are probably more bargains to be had on the Samsung as iPhones are much more rarely sold below RRP.

I'm not going to argue that there isn't a significant difference between 4 and 12GB of RAM, but what difference does it make to the user? When has anyone who's ever been using their iPhone hit across a problem because of a lack of RAM?

And I never said an iPod was more stable than a generic MP3 player :confused: I said iOS is far more stable than android. This is the case for the OS itself, but also, importantly, for the apps you install, which are much more heavily quality controlled by Apple.

And again you may disagree, but in my experience going back years is that iPhones have always run faster than equivalent Android devices, despite looking slower on paper. This is due to a combination of better integration and features like bus bandwidth and thermal management that I mentioned before, in addition to more efficient software running the OS.

Here's a comparison of the flagship Apple and Samsung devices from 2013, again the iPhone was just a significantly smoother experience in every way, despite the tech specs not looking that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5HS12Mnr-s

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I don't use ketchup myself but if I see somebody uses Chef ketchup or a non Hellmans mayonnaise in their kitchen I assume they are broke and I exit before they can ask me for a loan.

Chef is far superior to Heinz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Rothko wrote: »
    Chef is far superior to Heinz

Disagree. Chef’s “sauces” are too sweet. With Heinz you get nice balance, leaning more towards vinegary.

As for brown sauce, well, it’s got to be YR. HP a close second.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I didn't get a smart phone until 2016 (was using Nokias until then) and went for an iPhone. Very easy to use. Good interface.
    The following year, we had to get work mobiles which are all Samsungs. Shocking difference - the Samsungs are terrible in comparison - difficult to use, find your way around, apps that are downloaded are not easy to locate etc. Even stuff like diverting calls involves having to Google the solution.
    Everyone I work with who has an iPhone for personal use feels the same about their Samsungs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Why isn't anyone standing up for Xiaomi phones at all??

Best in the game imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Canadian Goose - this ain’t Canada, it doesn’t get that cold. Seeing folk walking around with them opened because it’s too warm. Also at this stage we’re almost going to assume it’s a knock off, same for Moncler.

Champion, Fila, Gola. Clothes were cheap as chips, you wouldn’t be seen dead in them. Now it’s 100 quid runners and 60 quid jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What are you talking about? I compared the phones released together including the S10 and apple 11.

I gave you a lot of information but apparently you cannot read or understand it.

The S10 has significant qualities over the iPhone 11 but not totally, I accept that.

The price of a new iPhone 11 is 850, that's much more expensive than the S10 at 590 (carphonewarehouse.ie). Prepay iPhone locked is more expensive than an unlocked sim free S10.

Jeez, it's more expensive than the new s20 and now that I look again, my phone has 4gb ram and it cost me 300!

You like the os more, that's fine but accept that you paid more for less spec as a result

Just realised that you're comparing an S10 that has been replaced by the S20 as you mention.

The S20 costs €1,029 (Link)so how is that cheaper than the €879 iPhone 11.

No doubt it's a great phone but so is the iPhone 11.

You're big on specs. Your phone 4gb ram, So what, it's not all about specs but optimisation and performance and I would argue that Apple phones are better optimised than Android ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

I didn't get a smart phone until 2016 (was using Nokias until then) and went for an iPhone. Very easy to use. Good interface.
    The following year, we had to get work mobiles which are all Samsungs. Shocking difference - the Samsungs are terrible in comparison - difficult to use, find your way around, apps that are downloaded are not easy to locate etc. Even stuff like diverting calls involves having to Google the solution.
    Everyone I work with who has an iPhone for personal use feels the same about their Samsungs.

My Iphone packed in a while back and rather than splurge on a new top of the range model, I got a Nokia smartphone. What a piece of absolute garbage it is. I can't understand how they went from being THE manufacturer of phones to producing such ****.

Personally, I prefer Apple to any other make of phone but it's not something that keeps me awake at night. I don't understand the fanboys or the haters.

On Sun readers, they should be all rounded up and drowned or nuked. Likewise, Daily Mail readers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Didn't bother reading the whole thread, but I certainly do assume.

When I see designer labels, especially the really expensive ones, I judge those folk as brand whores, those who want to show off their wealth.

When I see Apple anything, I automatically assume they've been assimilated by Apple, and stick them into the same category as above.

When I see people driving SUV's and jeeps such as the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Merc GLC, or all those other jeeps that actually can't go off road, I put them in the above bracket too, and I genuinely hate those that have no need for one but still buy them, as most can't drive them anyway.

When I see people driving BMW's in general I assume they're pricks.

When I see someone in a shell suit or general tracksuit/runners combo, I assume they're scumbags (you know the look, the one which kids/teens these days are copying).

When I see a Toyota Avensis, I assume traveller.

That's all I can think of for now, but I make assumptions on basically everyone on a range of things, but I keep it to myself mostly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

When I see an Audi I wait to see what ignorant/dangerous thing they will do on the road. I am almost never disappointed.

The driver is almost always a 40 something shirt wearing male, full to the brim of their own self importance. Most likely works in a role that actually involves no actual work but earns a disproportionately large wage.

This wage is then spent on an obscenely overpowered car as a feeble means to shore up their rapidly diminishing manhood. Their weekends are spent sinking pints of Heineken, watching rugby and wearing sunglasses in doors. They go home with their equally self important wives, but no sexual intimacy is attempted as years of office work and terrible Danish beer has killed the urge.

Instead once Monday rolls around this soft male will drive like arse as it is their only outlet.

I drive a Toyota and use a Nokia smart phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Are real people actually this judgemental about what people choose to spend their money on?
    I have opinions about the products mentioned, but to assume the product defines the consumer means that you've really been brainwashed by branding culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Didn't bother reading the whole thread, but I certainly do assume.

When I see designer labels, especially the really expensive ones, I judge those folk as brand whores, those who want to show off their wealth.

When I see Apple anything, I automatically assume they've been assimilated by Apple, and stick them into the same category as above.

When I see people driving SUV's and jeeps such as the BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne, Merc GLC, or all those other jeeps that actually can't go off road, I put them in the above bracket too, and I genuinely hate those that have no need for one but still buy them, as most can't drive them anyway.

When I see people driving BMW's in general I assume they're pricks.

When I see someone in a shell suit or general tracksuit/runners combo, I assume they're scumbags (you know the look, the one which kids/teens these days are copying).

When I see a Toyota Avensis, I assume traveller.

That's all I can think of for now, but I make assumptions on basically everyone on a range of things, but I keep it to myself mostly.

You have all these assumptions and don't think of yourself as assimilated or brainwashed in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,675 ✭✭✭buried

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Are real people actually this judgemental about what people choose to spend their money on?
    I have opinions about the products mentioned, but to assume the product defines the consumer means that you've really been brainwashed by branding culture.

Exactly. It's a real example of how advertising is messing with peoples heads. If you just basically judge someone before you have even the chance to even engage with them, a judgement based on nothing but a mark on their backs or a mark on their throwaway possessions, I'm sorry for ya, because you've been twisted rightly by the Don Draper's.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

tim3000 wrote: »
    When I see an Audi I wait to see what ignorant/dangerous thing they will do on the road. I am almost never disappointed.

The driver is almost always a 40 something shirt wearing male, full to the brim of their own self importance. Most likely works in a role that actually involves no actual work but earns a disproportionately large wage.

This wage is then spent on an obscenely overpowered car as a feeble means to shore up their rapidly diminishing manhood. Their weekends are spent sinking pints of Heineken, watching rugby and wearing sunglasses in doors. They go home with their equally self important wives, but no sexual intimacy is attempted as years of office work and terrible Danish beer has killed the urge.

Instead once Monday rolls around this soft male will drive like arse as it is their only outlet.

You forgot to mention “popped” collars.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

Disagree. Chef’s “sauces” are too sweet. With Heinz you get nice balance, leaning more towards vinegary.

As for brown sauce, well, it’s got to be YR. HP a close second.

YR and HP for Brown sauce, Bloody West Brit! If I was offered that in your house with my full Irish I would throw the breakfast in the bin.

Chef brown sauce or nothing. Ketchup can be tesco own brand I wouldnt really care

Ok, I'll drop the apple discussion. Let's just agree to disagree

Skinny jeans on men. Not comfortable, restrictive and ridiculous if there's even a slight belly hanging out which there nearly always is

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

I remember back in the 90s this flute in my year in school got sent over clothes from America, one item being a GAP sweatshirt. Every1 in the school kept shouting at him "Mind the Gap!" for months!

He was a d*ick so he deserved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

beerguts wrote: »
    YR and HP for Brown sauce, Bloody West Brit! If I was offered that in your house with my full Irish I would throw the breakfast in the bin.

Chef brown sauce or nothing. Ketchup can be tesco own brand I wouldnt really care

Isn’t YR sauce made in Donegal?

Go away with your sweet Chef sauce. If I wanted to eat like a child I’d have a bowl of Sugar Puffs

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

murpho999 wrote: »
    You have all these assumptions and don't think of yourself as assimilated or brainwashed in any way?

Nah. All based on experience tbh. My experience, not anyone elses. How do you think I'm assimilated or brainwashed by what I said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I associate McKenzie or Crosshatch clothing with shams.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I associate McKenzie or Crosshatch clothing with shams.

They prioritise their various chronic addictions over their fashion sense

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Isn’t YR sauce made in Donegal?

Go away with your sweet Chef sauce. If I wanted to eat like a child I’d have a bowl of Sugar Puffs

Ha, I knew YR was owned/made by Robt. Roberts but didn't realise it was made in Donegal! According to Wikipedia, it seems you're right!

Also, it appears HP is made in the Netherlands now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

No Joop No Hoop

No Armani, no punnani..............

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

CrankyHaus wrote: »

There was a thread on here some years ago where people were admitting to their prejudice of others based on the prefix of their mobile phone number. Stupid is as stupid does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

tim3000 wrote: »

Audis around here would be slammed A4 s with young lad driving it, your stereotype would drive a 5 series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

There was a thread on here some years ago where people were admitting to their prejudice of others based on the prefix of their mobile phone number. Stupid is as stupid does.

It's like if Keeping Up Appearances was written by John B Keane.

I do think it's mad the amount of self-worth people put into their cars. There's a chap that used to live across the road from me. Didn't know him very well, but he had a brand new white BMW saloon. He used to park it at an angle in his driveway with the wheels turned, all the time. I'd say he was out cleaning the wheels on it every weekend and giving it a proper wash and wax. Car was kept immaculately clean and he was forever taking photos of, and with, it (often with completely unnecessary sunglasses).

This is just from seeing him across the road from time to time. I wasn't his friend on Facebook or such so never actually seen the photos.

I figured he either always wanted one, and was so so happy to finally have it, or he was after financing it and was up to his eyes in debt on it. Either way, I figured fair play to him, at least he has it and he's happy as larry. I think he's an idiot, but he seems happy so what harm is he doing.

Turns out it was a company car. He got sacked for something (don't know the specifics) and the car disappeared. About a week later a battered old Mazda 3 arrived in the driveway (wasnt parked in the middle of the drive, at an angle with the wheels turned, strangely).

I often wonder does he still pretend online to have the BMW. Or did he pretend it was his own and then have to explain suddenly 'selling it' and buying an old banger instead. I've always wanted to ask, but it's none of my business, really.

As for me, I'm a childless man with a 12 year old, 7 seater ford Galaxy, and I love it. I had one before, and missed it when it was got rid of (wrote off/accident). I'd say loads of people think it's a big pile of sh/te, but I love it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I do think it's mad the amount of self-worth people put into their cars. There's a chap that used to live across the road from me. Didn't know him very well, but he had a brand new white BMW saloon. He used to park it at an angle in his driveway with the wheels turned, all the time. I'd say he was out cleaning the wheels on it every weekend and giving it a proper wash and wax. Car was kept immaculately clean and he was forever taking photos of, and with, it (often with completely unnecessary sunglasses).

This is just from seeing him across the road from time to time. I wasn't his friend on Facebook or such so never actually seen the photos.

I figured he either always wanted one, and was so so happy to finally have it, or he was after financing it and was up to his eyes in debt on it. Either way, I figured fair play to him, at least he has it and he's happy as larry. I think he's an idiot, but he seems happy so what harm is he doing.

Turns out it was a company car. He got sacked for something (don't know the specifics) and the car disappeared. About a week later a battered old Mazda 3 arrived in the driveway (wasnt parked in the middle of the drive, at an angle with the wheels turned, strangely).

I often wonder does he still pretend online to have the BMW. Or did he pretend it was his own and then have to explain suddenly 'selling it' and buying an old banger instead. I've always wanted to ask, but it's none of my business, really.

As for me, I'm a childless man with a 12 year old, 7 seater ford Galaxy, and I love it. I had one before, and missed it when it was got rid of (wrote off/accident). I'd say loads of people think it's a big pile of sh/te, but I love it. :D

Do you wear sunglasses when driving it or does that make you self conscious?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

I've been using iphones for well over 10 years now and not once in all that time, have i ever thought to myself..

"I wish this phone was less restricted" :confused:

I've had android phones in the past for work and hated them. IOS just works and i'll gladly pay a premium for it. Price or value for money aren't my primary considerations. If they were i'd probably suffer a Samsung.

I'd be ashamed of my life to be seen with an iphone imagine being one of those sheep... I'd sooner go back to a Nokia 3210 and retain my dignity.

Advertisement