Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Government and Waterford - the "to do list"

• 27-06-2020 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

With the new government now in place a new thread might be needed to discuss and follow what we need over the next few years.

As things stand we don't know if either of Mary Butler (FF) or Marc Ó Cathasaigh (Green) will get a position but if they do it'll be a Minister of State level gig and possibly not one that has undue bearing on the economic fortunes of Waterford but regardless of that we know there's a long list of issues that need attention

Main points including

The North Quays development
    Cardiac care and the UHW generally
    University and the terms of it's creation
    Infrastructure - the airport, a river crossing, water/sewerage etc
    Economy - new inward investment
    Accomodation - public and private

and no doubt some other issues esp the 'greening' of Waterford with regard to transport and amenities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

With the new government now in place a new thread might be needed to discuss and follow what we need over the next few years.

As things stand we don't know if either of Mary Butler (FF) or Marc Ó Cathasaigh (Green) will get a position but if they do it'll be a Minister of State level gig and possibly not one that has undue bearing on the economic fortunes of Waterford but regardless of that we know there's a long list of issues that need attention

Main points including

and no doubt some other issues esp the 'greening' of Waterford with regard to transport and amenities.

Keep dreaming.

Reality:
    Cork Airport to be upgraded to a space port
    Free Mercedez-Benz for all Cork residents
    As a concession to Dublin - the most expensive hospital ever conceived in the history of humanity. Each child to receive, not a Kinder Surprise, but a free Fabergé egg.
    A voucher for a second-hand bicycle for all Waterford residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Keep dreaming.

Reality:
    Cork Airport to be upgraded to a space port
    Free Mercedez-Benz for all Cork residents
    As a concession to Dublin - the most expensive hospital ever conceived in the history of humanity. Each child to receive, not a Kinder Surprise, but a free Fabergé egg.
    A voucher for a second-hand bicycle for all Waterford residents.

Ill take the last one please. Some good second hand bikes to be had very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Main points including

Are you for real? 80% of the ministers now come from the Dublin and Cork areas. We’ll be lucky to keep things as they are. My bet is in a few months we’ll see some new nasty 24-hour cardiac care type cuts while services and funding are expanded in Cork. The airport runaway extension for example will be in the cross-hairs for sure as Cork airport has a shortage of passengers. Money for infrastructure will be diverted for things like the M20 motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭spaceCreated

Did the South East get one cabinet minister? Looks like Health is going from a Wicklow politician to a Wicklow politician. Weird how Wicklow get 2 cabinet ministers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Do you think I'd posted a manifesto?

I didn't

I posted a list and the opportunity to follow the progress of this government on this thread.

35XYu.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Kerry TD Norma Dooley gets a ministerial job and its her first time as a TD, yet Mary there since 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Kerry TD Norma Dooley gets a ministerial job and its her first time as a TD, yet Mary there since 2016.

And O’Cathasaigh passed over for ‘super junior’ role by a bloody senator! If you don’t laugh you’ll cry.

And O’Cathasaigh passed over for ‘super junior’ role by a bloody senator! If you don’t laugh you’ll cry.

Unusual in that Galway and Limerick got no cabinet minister either. The super junior minister is ... unexpected, O’Cathasaigh got in by the skin of his teeth, you think they'd try and protect the seat they had...

And its the education minstership, the one we'd kill for

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭mart 23

And its the education minstership, the one we'd kill for

It appears that it will be Simon Harris that will be responsible for Higher Education (Univs and Techs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I recall Mary Roche saying some years ago when they brought up the subject of university status for WIT to Micheal Martin he was extremely dismissive and cut her off. Now that hes Taoishach there isnt a chance in hell he is even going to consider any investments here. North Quays 24/7 and airport a no go for at least another 5 years. This was the worst outcome for this city in terms of consequences of this new government foundation.

mart 23 wrote: »
    It appears that it will be Simon Harris that will be responsible for Higher Education (Univs and Techs).

Thought they might have given that job to someone who actually finished a degree :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The new Government has more Ulster Presbyterian ministers than South East ones.

vriesmays wrote: »
    The new Government has more Ulster Presbyterian ministers than South East ones.

Not sure how it is relevant to getting infrastructure developed for a region or investment for economic development? It might be relevant if you're bigoted I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

On what planet is Mary Butler ministerial material? I wouldn't put her in charge of a car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Not sure how it is relevant to getting infrastructure developed for a region or investment for economic development? It might be relevant if you're bigoted I guess.

Tis fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

On what planet is Mary Butler ministerial material? I wouldn't put her in charge of a car park.

True but I am not sure how good it is to promote something to a minister who just got in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Micheál Martin has left himself with little choice. The cabinet is so Dublin/Cork it is actually shocking. He will want to ease the fuss by giving a position to a part of the country with no minister, she is a women and she is too crap to be a threat to his Cork plans. So she ticks a number of boxes for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cynical but almost certainly the case. That said I'd not hold my breath about us getting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Bards

BBM77 wrote: »
    Micheál Martin has left himself with little choice. The cabinet is so Dublin/Cork it is actually shocking. He will want to ease the fuss by giving a position to a part of the country with no minister, she is a women and she is too crap to be a threat to his Cork plans. So she ticks a number of boxes for him.
    Mary Butler is a career politician... She will agree to whatever the party wants...she is not going to demand anything of the party at most she will follow Mícheál lead and try and get an independent review body to look at any issues that may arise.. Thus making it look like she is doing something without actually doing anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JimWinters

So what do we do IF junior minister Mary Butler and Michael Martin deliver 24/7 for the South East?

A lot of people will have to take back a lot of nasty things that were said for a start...

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/07/01/247-cardiac-issue-raised-with-new-minister-for-health/#

I’ll only believe it when I see it but it *could* happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Did the South East get one cabinet minister? Looks like Health is going from a Wicklow politician to a Wicklow politician. Weird how Wicklow get 2 cabinet ministers.

Maybe because they aren't picked based on location and nobody competent has come from Waterford?

JimWinters wrote: »
    So what do we do IF junior minister Mary Butler and Michael Martin deliver 24/7 for the South East?

A lot of people will have to take back a lot of nasty things that were said for a start...

https://www.wlrfm.com/2020/07/01/247-cardiac-issue-raised-with-new-minister-for-health/#

I’ll only believe it when I see it but it *could* happen...

Its the bare minimum in my head to even be considered for a vote, like it is a basic healthcare necessity in most peoples heads, before anyone starts jumping on and saying I'm wrong bla bla bla in most peoples head in Waterford and the South East it is basic health care. Besides fine gael and the greens will also claim it was their doing.

Edit: I feel like Donnelly works/thinks in a very logical way and it should benefit us in relation to healthcare.

Advertisement