Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The one and only refund thread [READ MOD NOTE BEFORE POSTING]!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Got refund from Ryanair this morning. Maybe best thing is to sit and wait after rejecting the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Hey all, just wondering is anyone elses flights due to leave this week?

I'm supposed to be going to Berlin with Ryanair however from what i can see, the flight is still going ahead.

The information seems vague online. From government sites, the advice is to avoid unnecessary flights, this isn;t to say that flights are or should be cancelled.

Ryanair are obviously pushing ahead. They'd rather send an empty plane to destinations as opposed to giving people their money back. No surprises there I guess.

Has anyone managed to get a voucher in this instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Hey all, just wondering is anyone elses flights due to leave this week?

I'm supposed to be going to Berlin with Ryanair however from what i can see, the flight is still going ahead.

The information seems vague online. From government sites, the advice is to avoid unnecessary flights, this isn;t to say that flights are or should be cancelled.

Ryanair are obviously pushing ahead. They'd rather send an empty plane to destinations as opposed to giving people their money back. No surprises there I guess.

Has anyone managed to get a voucher in this instance?

You could change your flight date, I think it depends on when you booked it though......

Vouchers are only offered if the flight is cancelled ..
    The flight might not be empty either with people travelling home etc ...it's business as usual in ryanair...

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Yeah I booked my flights in february. I attempted to change flights but it's around €30 per person per flight and i can only change them up to October 2020... nothing is guaranteed for the next few months. My only hope is a voucher which is looking unlikely.

Think i might have to let this one slide. 1-0 Ryanair

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Emanine

Has anyone tried to get a refund under the Government State Guaranteed credit note? Or has anyone tried to get a refund for a flight that has not been cancelled.

I was assured by the Citizens Information Bureau that anyone who booked a Package Holiday could apply to the travel agent to be refunded in full for their holiday, for 'extraordinary circumstances at the destination'.

Has anyone been successful with this approach? I have applied for a refund of a my holiday (flight has not been cancelled) from my travel agent ClickandGo, but they are disputing my rights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Don't suppose anyone has flights booked with Aegean? Have about 800€ worth of flights so wouldn't mind that cash to spend in the pub instead of a hypothetical holiday some other year but they don't seem to have any refund option (flights are all cancelled or substantially changed)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I am waiting on an Aerlingus voucher since April, fed up waiting.

Could i do a chargeback?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I am waiting on an Aerlingus voucher since April, fed up waiting.

Could i do a chargeback?

I'm in the same boat, and funnily enough, my flight for next month has been cancelled by Aer lingus anyway.
    I've a trail of emails following everything, so not overly worried, money in the bank for next year as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

limabromac wrote: »
    I received an email from flightrights yesterday asking me to submit information to them... I originally uploaded this info on the 22nd April.. I sent them an email to say that I received my money back through chargeback... very disappointing service provided from flightrights... I know they are busy but if they can't uphold the law that they govern then how is a consumer supposed to feel protected...

Dear

I refer to your online complaint submission received 22 April 2020. In order to process your complaint, we require the following:

- A complete Booking Confirmation (Including Itinerary, Passenger List and Payment Confirmation)

- Copies of complaint made with the air carrier in relation to this case – Please note, we require a written complaint to be made with the airline before escalating to the Commission

- The cancellation notice received

If we do not receive these documents within two weeks of the date of this email the Commission will no longer process the claim and will treat it as closed.

If you have already received your refund, kindly respond to this email confirming receipt of payment and we will amend our records accordingly.

I await your response.

I never heard a thing from them, got Ryanair refund itself last week. Flightrights no use at all by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My flights were due to go on Jun 6th, to be honest I'm not expecting anything until at least middle to end of August at the earliest

I'd only buy bitcoin any with it if I got it now :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    My flights were due to go on Jun 6th, to be honest I'm not expecting anything until at least middle to end of August at the earliest

I'd only buy bitcoin any with it if I got it now :-)

you mean July 6th surely :pac::D

jonnny68 wrote: »
    you mean July 6th surely :pac::D

nope, Jun 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭undertaker fan 88

Yeah I booked my flights in february. I attempted to change flights but it's around €30 per person per flight and i can only change them up to October 2020... nothing is guaranteed for the next few months. My only hope is a voucher which is looking unlikely.

Think i might have to let this one slide. 1-0 Ryanair

I had flights booked for a wedding end sept and as weddings gone to next year was gutted.went to change flights n was given dates up to Oct 2021 35 e per flight so happy as flight was over 300

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

jasonb wrote: »
    So we were meant to travel to Canada, flying last week and returning next week. We booked the flights online with Air Canada.

Got an email months ago saying our flight over was cancelled. They're offering vouchers, but resisting all of my attempts to insist on a refund. They say the EU laws don't apply to them and they're following the Canadian Govt. guidelines.

The return flight still hasn't been cancelled. It was changed from Vancouver - Dublin to Vancouver - Toronto - Dublin, and then the time was changed by 15 minutes and then changed by 1 day, and that's its current status.

I got in touch with my Travel Insurance company but so far all I'm getting is 'we're very busy'. I got in touch with PSTB, whose Credit Card we used for the tickets, and I was told they don't do charge backs on flights.

What are my options here? Are Air Canada right that EU law doesn't apply? Are the sites like flightrights.ie etc. any use to me, or are they only for Irish based airlines? I just want our money back, but can't seem to find the right starting point.

Thanks in advance...

According to Air Canada's own website they are subject to EU261.

https://www.aircanada.com/ie/en/aco/home/fly/flight-information/delayed-flights-and-cancellations/passenger-rights.html
    Again Air Canada's own guideline (see attached) state:
    5. REFUNDS
    If you’re departing the European Union, Switzerland or Iceland, the following rules may apply to your situation:

Refunds under EC Regulation No 261/2004

If your flight is delayed by more than three hours or cancelled and you choose to refuse the re-routing offered, you are entitled to receive a refund of the full cost of your ticket, at the price at which it was purchased, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to your original travel plan, together with, when relevant, a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity.

So you are legally due a refund, that's the easy bit!

Problem is getting the money is the difficult bit.

Best bet is chargeback.

See
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058073208

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for your reply! I've already tried Chargeback and PTSB told me they're not doing that for flights.

I had found that PDF on their website and sent it to Air Canada. This is the response I got...

'We realize you may disagree and view this approach as inconsistent with EU 261 Regulations.  However, as a Canadian carrier, we cannot be required to follow a legal regime that is in exact contradiction with its own national laws, following fundamental principles of international air law.'

They also said that as my tickets are 'non-refundable' that even if I was entitled to a refund, it would only be of the taxes. I told them my understanding of 'non-refundable' was that if *I* cancelled the flights I wouldn't get a refund, but if they cancelled them I was entitled to one. They didn't address that point in their email so I don't know if my understanding is right or not.

Either way, Air Canada are only offering a voucher, and chargeback isn't available to me. Is my only option my travel insurance then?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭josip

Thanks for your reply! I've already tried Chargeback and PTSB told me they're not doing that for flights.

I had found that PDF on their website and sent it to Air Canada. This is the response I got...

'We realize you may disagree and view this approach as inconsistent with EU 261 Regulations. However, as a Canadian carrier, we cannot be required to follow a legal regime that is in exact contradiction with its own national laws, following fundamental principles of international air law.'

They also said that as my tickets are 'non-refundable' that even if I was entitled to a refund, it would only be of the taxes. I told them my understanding of 'non-refundable' was that if *I* cancelled the flights I wouldn't get a refund, but if they cancelled them I was entitled to one. They didn't address that point in their email so I don't know if my understanding is right or not.

Either way, Air Canada are only offering a voucher, and chargeback isn't available to me. Is my only option my travel insurance then?

I don't think PTSB can deny you chargeback for flights.
    Ask them to point out where it's written in their Terms and Conditions (the version that you signed up to) that flights are excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

josip wrote: »
    I don't think PTSB can deny you chargeback for flights.
    Ask them to point out where it's written in their Terms and Conditions (the version that you signed up to) that flights are excluded.

This. And even if it does say that in their T&C's, they have to comply with Mastercard/Visa rules, so it doesn't matter.

Thanks, I'll try PTSB again and see what they say...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

T-Bird wrote: »
    Got refund from Ryanair this morning. Maybe best thing is to sit and wait after rejecting the voucher.

how long did you have to wait since applying for refund? My flight was cancelled and I asked for a refund on 14th of May. Was told it would take 20 working days. Still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

T-Bird wrote: »

how long did you have to wait since applying for refund? My flight was cancelled and I asked for a refund on 14th of May. Was told it would take 20 working days. Still nothing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Ryanair CEO on Newstalk this morning said they had processed 50% of the cash refunds. He said they had finished March and we're now working on April.

My experience is that March is not complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

US2 wrote: »

I got my refund last week. Took 107 days. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Eli1

Good news for me. Got full refund from AL this morning. Flights cancelled in early May so nearly 8 weeks wait. We did email guestservices email on Monday so this may have prompted it?

US2 wrote: »

I'm working off a similar timeframe as yourself, got notification on 16th May that flights were cancelled with RA, applied on the 17th May

Obviously the 20 working days for processing and 5-7 for it hitting the bank account has elapsed so I have now entered my phase 2 and sent in a chargeback to AIB and also filed a complaint through flightrights

I'm not expecting really anything until mid to late Aug at the earliest, if it comes in I'll post up here

I suppose anyone thats got refunds and has applied through various channels do you actually know which channel was successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭limabromac

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I'm working off a similar timeframe as yourself, got notification on 16th May that flights were cancelled with RA, applied on the 17th May

Obviously the 20 working days for processing and 5-7 for it hitting the bank account has elapsed so I have now entered my phase 2 and sent in a chargeback to AIB and also filed a complaint through flightrights

I'm not expecting really anything until mid to late Aug at the earliest, if it comes in I'll post up here

I suppose anyone thats got refunds and has applied through various channels do you actually know which channel was successful?

If you wanted to go down the road of a pie chart my predictions would be ...

40% still waiting for refund
    25% chargebacks
    15% cash refund from airline (mainly march travellers)
    15% claimed voucher
    3% flight rights
    2% small claims court

A little bit of a positive step for me.

I got in touch with PTSB and they were very helpful, and said I'll be able to apply for chargeback. When I told them that I'd been told by PTSB a couple of months ago that they didn't do chargeback on flights, they explained that a few months ago they halted chargebacks until they knew what was going on with the whole situation, but now they're definitely doing them. I don't know how true that all is, but at least they're happy to kick one off for me.

The only issue is my return flight still hasn't been cancelled yet! It was meant to be this coming Monday. It was changed from a direct flight to a stopover in Toronto, then that was changed to be 15 minutes earlier, and most recently it was changed to be 24 hours earlier. Anyhow, it's still not cancelled. I'm hoping they will cancel it in the next few days, and hoping they're not going down the 'but the flight was there and you never turned up' route. PTSB advised me to wait to see what they do with that flight, and then they'll kick off the chargeback process, either for not supplying a service if they cancel both flights, or for not providing the service as described if they only cancel one and move the other one around. It's only a few more days, so I'm happy to wait to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

A little bit of a positive step for me.

I got in touch with PTSB and they were very helpful, and said I'll be able to apply for chargeback. When I told them that I'd been told by PTSB a couple of months ago that they didn't do chargeback on flights, they explained that a few months ago they halted chargebacks until they knew what was going on with the whole situation, but now they're definitely doing them. I don't know how true that all is, but at least they're happy to kick one off for me.

The only issue is my return flight still hasn't been cancelled yet! It was meant to be this coming Monday. It was changed from a direct flight to a stopover in Toronto, then that was changed to be 15 minutes earlier, and most recently it was changed to be 24 hours earlier. Anyhow, it's still not cancelled. I'm hoping they will cancel it in the next few days, and hoping they're not going down the 'but the flight was there and you never turned up' route. PTSB advised me to wait to see what they do with that flight, and then they'll kick off the chargeback process, either for not supplying a service if they cancel both flights, or for not providing the service as described if they only cancel one and move the other one around. It's only a few more days, so I'm happy to wait to see what happens.

Check the T+C for the airline, usually if the flight time is changed by more than a few hours, you can cancel and get a refund. With Ryanair it's 2 or 3 hours something like that. Might be the get out you're looking for.
    I just had a look at aer lingus and their policy allows you cancel and get a refund if the flight time changes by more than 2 hours.

gerard2210 wrote: »
    Check the T+C for the airline, usually if the flight time is changed by more than a few hours, you can cancel and get a refund. With Ryanair it's 2 or 3 hours something like that. Might be the get out you're looking for.
    I just had a look at aer lingus and their policy allows you cancel and get a refund if the flight time changes by more then 2 hours.

Yeah, am pretty certain I'd 'normally' be entitled to a refund with a 24 hour change, just like I'd 'normally' be entitled to a refund with a flight being cancelled. But Air Canada's stance seems to be 'this is all due to Covid-19, so no refunds, only vouchers'. I'm not expecting any progress with Air Canada for my refund, chargeback or travel insurance are my best bets I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

My flight was cancelled in March, April 10th flight.

Will give them another week before I go the chargeback route with TSB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭paddy19

Yeah, am pretty certain I'd 'normally' be entitled to a refund with a 24 hour change, just like I'd 'normally' be entitled to a refund with a flight being cancelled. But Air Canada's stance seems to be 'this is all due to Covid-19, so no refunds, only vouchers'. I'm not expecting any progress with Air Canada for my refund, chargeback or travel insurance are my best bets I think.

You defo entitled to a cash refund under 261 which Air Canada agree applies on their web site but getting the money is a different story.

Chargeback is your best bet.
    Travel insurance is last of last resorts.
    They won't want pay up if you can get a voucher.

Advertisement