Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle Gallery - Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

No but because this a rolling role he will be back in power in two years time I believe

Suppose we just have to wait and see what Leo turns up in to events in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

Is there a Skoda in the fleet? Marked or unmarked? Besides the SDU superb and the Harcourt street black one, They’re are the only two I know off

PSU cork got 201 skoda unmarked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I seen an grey Superb the other day with somebody pulled over. Minimum lights on the back but the front was like an Xmas tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

I seen an grey Superb the other day with somebody pulled over. Minimum lights on the back but the front was like an Xmas tree.

DMR?

POGAN wrote: »
    DMR?

Yeah but the guard that had the car pulled over was in a shirt and tie. Not type of guard that looked like they were on patrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is there a Skoda in the fleet? Marked or unmarked? Besides the SDU superb and the Harcourt street black one, They’re are the only two I know off

Wicklow has a 2018 Kodiaq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

Yeah but the guard that had the car pulled over was in a shirt and tie. Not type of guard that looked like they were on patrol.

Task force probably, I’ve still yet to see one up front, I’m a big fan of the Skoda patrol cars so I hope they are rolled out on the regular to the regular also...

All they are missing is the hello kitty air freshener and the mortification will be complete.

All they are missing is the hello kitty air freshener and the mortification will be complete.

I think they actually look well. Small, but nice.

• Advertisement

I suppose since the height restrictions were lifted it will suit some of those very short Gardai.....

I would not like to be 6ft or more in one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

I think they may just be a stop-gap until a larger purchase is made? similar to the avensis back in 2011.

carzony wrote: »
    I think they may just be a stop-gap until a larger purchase is made? similar to the avensis back in 2011.

No it's just that it's replacement to the i30 which the 2014 ones are tired, very tired....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

No it's just that it's replacement to the i30 which the 2014 ones are tired, very tired....

Can't see Kona lasting 6 years.

carzony wrote: »
    Can't see Kona lasting 6 years.

They'll just throw money at them, can't be seen to be driving flash especially going into another recession

They'll just throw money at them, can't be seen to be driving flash especially going into another recession

That old chestnut, but this 'recession' is not like the financial crash.

I don't see PBP on the streets complaining about all those BMWs or Audis.

No I get that but it is one of the excuses.....

The cars aren't up to it imo.

Its shocking and laughable to see armed units/detectives using i40s.

They are struggling badly any time I see them driving at speed on call.

No I get that but it is one of the excuses.....

The cars aren't up to it imo.

Its shocking and laughable to see armed units/detectives using i40s.

They are struggling badly any time I see them driving at speed on call.

As someone who is a bit of a petrol head and has no issue paying the higher tax rate so I have something big under my arse I totally get it. A 201 reg plate is more important than the actual quality of what its stuck on to.

Hyundai was cheap, plain and simple.

On a side note, its nice to see the ERU in those Ford Rangers. Those landcruisers were getting on a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You'd think a decent Skoda would be okay though - even a VRS Octavia.

Fine - if a Hyundai was up to the job but if they are not buy the car that IS up to the job and grow a pair of balls and fight the case.

For example......

1) we are having to try and stop traveling gangs - need a better car then an i40 1.6 diesel.

2) having decent roadholding is important in emergency and dealing with crime scenarios. Also helps give Gardai on frontline a safer car in terms of active safety*.

3) we are finding the maintenance costs of the "cheap" Hyundai mount up.

4) we can get cars from manufacturers that will deliver the cars to us (BMW for example) fully ready for duty. This has the potential to be better then getting a firm in Ireland to retrofit the equipment to some crappy Hyundai.

5) Skoda can supply a wider range of cars then Hyundai but aren't a premium brand.

*The ability to avoid an accident because a car has better brakes and roadholding

Old diesel wrote: »
    You'd think a decent Skoda would be okay though - even a VRS Octavia.

Fine - if a Hyundai was up to the job but if they are not buy the car that IS up to the job and grow a pair of balls and fight the case.

For example......

1) we are having to try and stop traveling gangs - need a better car then an i40 1.6 diesel.

2) having decent roadholding is important in emergency and dealing with crime scenarios. Also helps give Gardai on frontline a safer car in terms of active safety*.

3) we are finding the maintenance costs of the "cheap" Hyundai mount up.

4) we can get cars from manufacturers that will deliver the cars to us (BMW for example) fully ready for duty. This has the potential to be better then getting a firm in Ireland to retrofit the equipment to some crappy Hyundai.

5) Skoda can supply a wider range of cars then Hyundai but aren't a premium brand.

*The ability to avoid an accident because a car has better brakes and roadholding

You’ve hit all points on the head.

I agree with that, especially regarding the retrofits to the Hyundai they are horrendous. They are treating a car which is has to travel at speed like a Lego block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Old diesel

You’ve hit all points on the head.

I agree with that, especially regarding the retrofits to the Hyundai they are horrendous. They are treating a car which is has to travel at speed like a Lego block.

Is that a Hyundai design issue - as in they are a particularly hard car to get the equipment fitted to.

Or is it an issue with whoever fits the stuff in Ireland.

I take it the whole Hyundai thing is decision makers just thinking "once it's got 4 wheels and an engine it's fine".

I know cars aren't the most important thing in the world but these Hyundais indicate to me as an outsider a culture of decision makers not fully supporting the frontline staff.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is that a Hyundai design issue - as in they are a particularly hard car to get the equipment fitted to.

Or is it an issue with whoever fits the stuff in Ireland.

I take it the whole Hyundai thing is decision makers just thinking "once it's got 4 wheels and an engine it's fine".

I know cars aren't the most important thing in the world but these Hyundais indicate to me as an outsider a culture of decision makers not fully supporting the frontline staff.

All frontline vehicles for AGS are standard family cars kitted out post sale. The right way to do it would be to receive them with factory fitted equipment. Some manufacturers offer this, most don't.

Family car. Add all the extra gear. Add more than your average family. Add their gear. That all adds up to handling like a hippo on chocolate skates.

Worst handling I'd say was the fiat Ulysses. Spelling off.

Worst handling I'd say was the fiat Ulysses. Spelling off.

I think they use to call that “duck” if I’m not mistaken lol

I think they use to call that “duck” if I’m not mistaken lol

Ship I would have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭kub

Family car. Add all the extra gear. Add more than your average family. Add their gear. That all adds up to handling like a hippo on chocolate skates.

Would a Kona be regarded as a family car ?

It strikes me as something a Nun would drive around in, dare i say it but i would not like to be in one in a collision.

I think there a fine looking car tbh. Swear it was a Lada the way some are going on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I think there a fine looking car tbh. Swear it was a Lada the way some are going on about it.

Looks don't come into it. It could be a brick as long as it's up to the job.

Too small and too slow to be a patrol car.

• Advertisement

Any word on what could be replacing the i40s as I believe there no longer in production ?

Advertisement