Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best App for Storing recipes

Options
  • 29-06-2020 11:46pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭

OK so I'm at the stage where I'm very comfortable in a kitchen cooking up a variety of dishes, I can comfortably follow recipes and even make some minor changes and adjust dishes to my liking.

My only issue is after I tweak a dish to my liking, how to remember the recipe and store it somewhere that's easy accessible when I want to cook it again.

Being a techie I love using technology wherever possible so I'm looking for recommendations as to where I can store recipes and be able to use a tablet to retrieve them easily.

For those in the know technology wise, I've used Evernote and also created my own wiki page with links and photos integrated to design my own type of cook book of sorts, but backing it up online is a pain in the a*s so maybe there ready made apps out there that's are a better option. I've looked at a variety of apps but feedback for experienced users would be appreciated

Before anyone suggests writing them down in a notebook, my writing is like chicken scratchings and I even have trouble reading my own writing sometimes. :D

Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I just stick them on my Reading List, it's just takes two clicks. They're saved on iCloud and searchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I use paprika. I can import recipes from websites, edit them and make notes as well as attaching my own photo of the finished dish. It also has a Pantry and shopping list function.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I use CopyMeThat. I think it's only available on Android though.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    OBeing a techie I love using technology wherever possible so I'm looking for recommendations as to where I can store recipes and be able to use a tablet to retrieve them easily.

For those in the know technology wise, I've used Evernote and also created my own wiki page with links and photos integrated to design my own type of cook book of sorts, but backing it up online is a pain in the a*s so maybe there ready made apps out there that's are a better option. I've looked at a variety of apps but feedback for experienced users would be appreciated

I think :)

1) Your scheme with a wiki seems like a good solution. Why is it difficult to back up? Solve that, rather than change the scheme :)

2) Recipe apps always seem to be too structured. Work their way, or struggle.

3) What about a Wordpress blog? Public or private, your choice. Just post what you want, in the format you want. Searchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I just stick them on my Reading List, it's just takes two clicks. They're saved on iCloud and searchable.

I'd not heard of Reading List, but a search suggests it's a way of saving web pages when you're using the Edge browser.

I used to use Scrapbook with earlier versions of Firefox for the same job, but I don't know if it works with modern Firefox. The browser I'm using at the moment is Pale Moon, a fork of that earlier version of Firefox. An addon called Scrapbook X does that saving job on Pale Moon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

tangy wrote: »
    I'd not heard of Reading List, but a search suggests it's a way of saving web pages when you're using the Edge browser.

I used to use Scrapbook with earlier versions of Firefox for the same job, but I don't know if it works with modern Firefox. The browser I'm using at the moment is Pale Moon, a fork of that earlier version of Firefox. An addon called Scrapbook X does that saving job on Pale Moon.

There’s probably a proper tech word for Reading List but it’s just an alternative to Bookmarks in Safari on the iPhone. :rolleyes:

Advertisement