Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric scooters on footpaths

Options
  • 30-06-2020 9:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

I'm seeing this several times a day now around the city centre and they're always going at top speed, even weaving in and out of pedestrians. If any of them are reading this, please note-you're getting clotheslined if you come towards me like that again. Selfish pricks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,150 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

sabat wrote: »
    I'm seeing this several times a day now around the city centre and they're always going at top speed, even weaving in and out of pedestrians. If any of them are reading this, please note-you're getting clotheslined if you come towards me like that again. Selfish pricks.

Which city?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

To be fair, you cant expect them to go on the road can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,799 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Which city?

The only city that matters..

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

07Lapierre wrote: »
    To be fair, you cant expect them to go on the road can you?

My understanding is that they shouldn't be used anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,434 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Scooters should be used, but aren't legal (which I expect to change this year).

Cyclists are also required to have lights and helmets and not cycle on paths.

I've said this before. You get idiot scooter drivers. You get idiot cyclists. You get idiot motorists.

Also OP, I've seen people going around clotheslining people on footpaths.

Guess which of the above is the worst thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

They were made legal in the UK today ,
    Owners must be over 16 and hold either a provisional /full,car bike ,moped license and wear a helmet,

Expect us to follow suit

Tarabuses wrote: »
    My understanding is that they shouldn't be used anywhere.

Yep..private property only. Crazy really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

The only city that matters..

Must be Kilkenny then

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

antodeco wrote: »
    ...Cyclists are also required to have lights and helmets...
    You could do with studying the road traffic regulations. There is no legal requirement for a cyclist to wear a helmet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I've said this before. You get idiot scooter drivers. You get idiot cyclists. You get idiot motorists.

No, helmets are not a legal requirement.

No, as scooters are illegal then all scooter “drivers” are idiots for breaking the law.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most drivers break the law, ergo most drivers are idiots. do i win a prize?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

most drivers break the law, ergo most drivers are idiots. do i win a prize?

You can drive a car on a public road without breaking the law.
    You can not drive a scooter on a public road without breaking the law.

I hope this clears things up for you.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Gatling wrote: »
    Owners must be over 16 and hold either a provisional /full,car bike ,moped license and wear a helmet,

Expect us to follow suit

Not entirely true.

The age and licensing requirements are correct.

Rental e-scooter schemes are now legal from next weekend (July 4th). Privately-owned e-scooters remain illegal.

Helmets are recommended but not compulsory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

I think the scooters should be legal too for over 16s following some kind of safety instruction; I might even get one myself. What I'm talking about isn't scooter users acting idiotically-psychotically would be more appropriate, like they don't even understand that other people exist. They are flying along the footpaths on major pedestrian routes like Henry St and O'Connell St weaving in and out of people at full speed. It's got particularly noticeable just in the last 2 weeks-even after I posted this yesterday I saw several more. Inevitably some toddler or elderly person will get badly skulled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's an issue of enforcement. any of those examples you give could be easily prosecuted, and you just need people to be aware that they could get done for that activity, to curtail it significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Gatling wrote: »

Expect us to follow suit

They must also be hired from a licenced renter, ie you cannot use a privately owned one and the hire-licences haven’t been granted yet. It’s a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

You could do with studying the road traffic regulations. There is no legal requirement for a cyclist to wear a helmet.

And no requirement for lights the majority of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

No because they own the roads.everyone knows that.

And no requirement for lights the majority of the time

That's right. Lights are only required during the hours of darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

No because they own the roads.everyone knows that.

Here we go again.

Is there a cyclist version of Goodwin's Law?

Advertisement