Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smithwicks Availability

• 17-06-2020 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

As the title suggests I am wondering if anyone has had any issues trying to find Smithwicks?
    My local tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Supervalu and off licence have not had any in stock for around 2/3 weeks.
    Staff in the off licence told me that the brewery had been shut for covid so they had not had any more deliveries and all the stock that had been brewed has now been sold.
    Has anyone come across it in the last week in South Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,843 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

No sign of it north of the Liffey either I'm afraid :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two weeks ago now, but saw it in a couple of Lidl in the D24 area no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

I was in Dunnes in Cork City this afternoon and they had a couple of bottles on the shelves as I recall it.

FYI the cans of Red Ale are showing as back in stock on Tesco website, at least for Clare Hall which covers northside deliveries.
    It's the 8 X 500Ml Can pack for €14.50

No sign of the individual cans or bottles for the rest of the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

srfc d16 wrote: »
    As the title suggests I am wondering if anyone has had any issues trying to find Smithwicks?
    My local tesco, Dunnes, Lidl, Supervalu and off licence have not had any in stock for around 2/3 weeks.
    Staff in the off licence told me that the brewery had been shut for covid so they had not had any more deliveries and all the stock that had been brewed has now been sold.
    Has anyone come across it in the last week in South Dublin?

Where abouts are you? I've seen it in a few Supervalu branches, in bottles at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I have seen it in Tesco northside in the past week.

Do you think there's a shortage OP.
    Maybe people have taken it up.

It is Diageo so there shouldn't be a shortage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

imme wrote: »

Depends entirely where Diageo is directing capacity. I would imagine in-home consumption has gone up and if they are short of canning capacity you'd think they'd focus on keeping the marquee brands (Guinness, Hop House, Rockshore) in stock currently

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

L1011 wrote: »
    Depends entirely where Diageo is directing capacity. I would imagine in-home consumption has gone up and if they are short of canning capacity you'd think they'd focus on keeping the marquee brands (Guinness, Hop House, Rockshore) in stock currently

If it was always less than c. 5% of the home market I can't see that that would be much of a challenge to keep some Smithwicks knocking about.

It was sold out in 4 different places I looked in last few weeks - Tesco & Supervalu stores.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it was always less than c. 5% of the home market I can't see that that would be much of a challenge to keep some Smithwicks knocking about.

It also means it's the obvious thing to drop if you're short on capacity. Changing over line takes time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭srfc d16

I have seen it in Tesco northside in the past week.

Do you think there's a shortage OP.
    Maybe people have taken it up.

I saw some bottles in O'Briens over the weekend but no cans. The staff in O'Briens told me that they had not had a delivery of cans for over a month. Dunnes told me they hadn't received either cans or bottles in 6 weeks.
    Most likely they are focusing on bigger sellers for the time being

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

:)It's back in the west. Bought a few cans last week at the local supermarket, which didn't have it for a couple of months, and had a couple of draught pints of it with my meal today.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭srfc d16

Got some at the weekend so looks like we are back to normal now.

Advertisement