Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

We know that long distances are often travelled between events on New Year’s Day, which potentially puts road users at risk, and that making the start time for the second event is only achievable by quicker participants in some places.

We also see that very often there is a funneling effect at the second event. With more participants than usual on 1 January but with fewer events to go to as some events choose not to host an additional event, the result is significantly higher attendances at many events (sometimes 5-6 times a typical average attendance), which puts pressure on the volunteer team, has caused issues of late with landowners, and creates much busier car parks, cafes and paths. This is compounded by some events taking place later in the morning than usual, resulting in more congestion and conflict with other park users.

Were these really issues that were happening? Never heard of them myself.
    Perhaps they happened in other countries and parkrun issued a global response.
    Seems a bit excessive to me. Surely other measures could have been tried first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Be good if they had one on Paddy’s day instead.

It is a shame though. Did it twice and loved it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Really only a major issue in the UK, and then only certain areas. Definitely something that caused issues at some events and caused other events to decide it best not to bother holding an event to avoid the hassle. Takes some organisation on a quite wide regional basis to avoid the worst congestion and potential clashes with large numbers heading from several events and converging on a single other event.

I think its a shame for other countries that they don't get to have the doubles. For example 2020 was only the second time it had been possible in the US and the first time there was more than one option for a double. Was a good way to create some excitement around the small community event of parkrun that is a very different beast than it is in the UK/ Aus/ SA and Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Stormont had repeatedly gotten about 800 and Orangefield 500 for new years day, thats a huge uptick for both - the event teams were expecting that though...

I suspect its more about the people racing between runs and the risk of someone causing and accident and killing themselves or someone else. Numbers can be managed to an extent, but the bad press from a fatality from someone trying to push the distance between their double would be massive.

I do remember last year someone managed to get from South Dublin to Waterford or somewhere like that - and there were a few more equally unlikely pairings in the UK...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Someone even managed the Auckland to Vancover double this year for New Year. Had been done a couple of other times but not as a legitimate double.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I can understand their decision. A NYDD was not something I had heard of until the last 2-3 years. I think before then it wasn't really possible where we live. They were good fun but we were conscious about staying up too late or drinking too much the night before in terms of being safely able to drive that morning or even being able to run! My local parkrun doesn't go ahead on NYD as the grounds it uses are closed so it was a bit of fun and parkrun tourism for my local parkrunners. I felt bad that we couldn't stay on for chat at the first parkrun location as we had to get on the road to travel to the second. I have seen dangerous driving going from one parkrun location to the next one - my husband spoke to the driver after, I think he also let the run director of the second parkrun know. I wouldn't have liked parkrun to get reported or blamed for dangerous driving or worse an accident on NYD because of the doubling up of events.

BeardySi wrote: »
    There was an intereview with Tom Williams on one of my podcasts the other day discussing NZ reopening - it may have been Free Weekly Timed, but I can't remember - he repeatedly referred to Island of Ireland as opposed to RoI and NI parkruns.

Food for thought.
    robinph wrote: »
    It was on Free Weekly Timed as I just got round to listening to it last night and the same thing stuck out to me. Laying the groundwork for Eng/ Sco/ Wal tourists not getting their knickers in a twist too much when parkruns in NI return before theirs do...although most of the listeners won't know the difference between Ireland/ Northern Ireland/ island of Ireland.

I wouldn't mind actually listening back to that piece of the podcast again, I was listening to it while out for my (not)parkrun on Saturday so concentration might not have been 100%! The impression I got from it was that they feel Ireland is in a favourable position to restart sooner rather than later but that parkrun HQ won't restart parkrun in the Republic until the UK is also safe and ready.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind actually listening back to that piece of the podcast again, I was listening to it while out for my (not)parkrun on Saturday so concentration might not have been 100%! The impression I got from it was that they feel Ireland is in a favourable position to restart sooner rather than later but that parkrun HQ won't restart parkrun in the Republic until the UK is also safe and ready.

It's hard to read them at the moment. There are good reasons for opening NI and Ireland at the same time, and there are good reasons for not doing so whilst there is the chance of a mass importation of runners from GB heading over via Ryan Jet.

But while it sounded like they were thinking of ways to deal with that, the idea of Cape Pembroke (Falklands), Guernsey, Jersey, Bressay (Shetland) or Nobels (Isle of Man) events opening up wasn't considered at all likely despite it being relatively difficult to get to those locations cheaply, quickly or in big numbers and they are part of the UK region so don't dare consider to have separate parts of the UK opening at different times.

But while it sounded like they were thinking of ways to deal with that, the idea of Cape Pembroke (Falklands), Guernsey, Jersey, Bressay (Shetland) or Nobels (Isle of Man) events opening up wasn't considered at all likely despite it being relatively difficult to get to those locations cheaply, quickly or in big numbers and they are part of the UK region so don't dare consider to have separate parts of the UK opening at different times.

I think there would be uproar with UK parkrun diehards if certain regions of the UK restarted before others.

I think there would be uproar with UK parkrun diehards if certain regions of the UK restarted before others.

Despite there being a general lack of knowledge about where Dublin and Belfast are I think it would be an easier sell to those parkrun fanatics if they started The Falklands event without the rest of the UK than if any Belfast or even Dublin events started without them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Another parkrun update from Tom Williams. Doesn't really say anything."we know that reopening our events (or keeping them closed) at a given time will be controversial in the eyes of some members of our community. Not because they’re wrong and we’re right, but because with a global family numbering seven million people there will be healthy differences of opinion".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

A global family and a global pandemic that is not yet under control. It’s not a great place to be for TW or anyone else in parkrun HQ. The ‘brand’ will be OK without rushing into anything. People can still get out and run in groups with their friends.

Anyone wanting to see a parkrun actually happening, a real one, not a (not) parkrun, not a freedom run, not a virtual run but an actual genuine parkrun... then tune into this page at 8:15pm tonight and see Pegasus parkrun in New Zealand happening:

https://www.facebook.com/WithMeNowPodcast/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

A new parkrun seems to be starting in Achill, Co. Mayo on the greenway. An out and back course. I guess nothing will happen until Covid restrictions are lifted but it should be a popular one especially around the summer.
    https://www.parkrun.ie/achillgreenway/

The surface looks like it is tarred.

Looking now there seems to be a couple of others coming on stream too.
    Youghal and Grand Canal Way Parkrun in Tullamore.
    https://www.parkrun.ie/pobalscoilnatrionoide/
    https://www.parkrun.ie/thegrandcanalway/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Great to hear about Tullamore. I always wondered why the canal was not utilised more. Edenderry could easily manage a parkrun on their section too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Looking at streetview on google maps the Achill Island Greenway Parkrun will be one of the nicest parkruns in Ireland during the summer but one of the most depressing windy exposed ones on a wet day. It's very exposed on the edge of the Atlantic.

519185.jpg

519186.jpg

Latest update from parkrun UK.

https://blog.parkrun.com/uk/2020/07/28/covid-19-coronavirus-update-28-july/

Obviously they are talking about UK road running recommendations but as I can't see Ireland starting without NI it's good to see them finally acknowledge that waiting until the whole of the UK can start at the same time isn't all that sensible. Signs that they might bring some events back in some areas before others which is fantastic.

Obviously they are talking about UK road running recommendations but as I can't see Ireland starting without NI it's good to see them finally acknowledge that waiting until the whole of the UK can start at the same time isn't all that sensible. Signs that they might bring some events back in some areas before others which is fantastic.

Great news alright, although surely a lot of bureaucracy to come through??
    We are in a predicament here if we need to stay in phase 3 with the 200 people outdoors though.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Great news alright, although surely a lot of bureaucracy to come through??
    We are in a predicament here if we need to stay in phase 3 with the 200 people outdoors though.

With a pandemic I'm sure it'll be important that we put the interests of society and people's safety first. I'd struggle to see 100 people grouping for a 5k run with all that goes with the exertion, perspiring and breathing.
    I'd also be concerned that people would travel far if they saw a parkrun scheduled. How do you control numbers?
    You could limit it to people's home parkrun, but could one just change their home designation to one that's scheduled?

lanod2407 wrote: »
    With a pandemic I'm sure it'll be important that we put the interests of society and people's safety first. I'd struggle to see 100 people grouping for a 5k run with all that goes with the exertion, perspiring and breathing.
    I'd also be concerned that people would travel far if they saw a parkrun scheduled. How do you control numbers?
    You could limit it to people's home parkrun, but could one just change their home designation to one that's scheduled?

There are issues around the restarting of parkrun, but exertion and sweating are not ones that anyone should be concerned about any more than they were previously.

Controlling numbers is a concern and why they have diverted from their previous stance of each country only starting back up at the same time. But what the restart in New Zealand showed was that despite people on social media being desperate to get back parkrunning again the number of people actually turning up has just been the same as were turning up before the lockdown. What they need to make sure doesn't happen is that only one event re-opens in Dublin for example, or only events just outside of Dublin for some reason as you then do get a large number of parkrunners travelling. They also need NI and Ireland to start at the same time, and both governments to be behind it, as it will be a big bit of publicity and they need it not to go wrong or for only one area be restarting whilst the other is locked down.

Nobody really cares if England/ Wales/ Scotland start at a different pace to Ireland/ NI though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Ceepo

lanod2407 wrote: »

While taking the point that 100 or so people might be on the start line. The rest is a mute point.
    In the vast majority of case people would be in far less proximity to each other after a few 100m that we see over the past 2 weeks playing some sports where there is actually physical contact.
    We see fied sports and cycling clubs up and down the country are able to get on with their sports, and yet we don't have races back on, save for 2 or 3 that I know of.

Regarding limiting the numbers turning up. Their are many ways this can be achieved. From online entry, to limitations on a radius can be from the event etc etc.
    If there's a will to hold an event then there's a way to hold it in a safe and responsible way..

Time people started coming up with solutions on how to get athletics back up and running (pun intended) instead of looking for reasons not too.......

Ceepo wrote: »
    While taking the point that 100 or so people might be on the start line. The rest is a mute point.
    In the vast majority of case people would be in far less proximity to each other after a few 100m that we see over the past 2 weeks playing some sports where there is actually physical contact.
    We see fied sports and cycling clubs up and down the country are able to get on with their sports, and yet we don't have races back on, save for 2 or 3 that I know of.

Regarding limiting the numbers turning up. Their are many ways this can be achieved. From online entry, to limitations on a radius can be from the event etc etc.
    If there's a will to hold an event then there's a way to hold it in a safe and responsible way..

Time people started coming up with solutions on how to get athletics back up and running (pun intended) instead of looking for reasons not too.......

Well said. Look at popupraces holding races again with social distancing, also IMRA make participants wear a mask for the start of their races. Practical ideas are what's needed to get events up and running again.

A parkrun podcast I listened to a while ago had hinted that Ireland was in a better position than the UK in terms of Covid handling but that they couldn't start back Ireland and not the UK due to the risk of numbers travelling. So if there are positive whispers of the UK parkruns returning, I'd imagine it will be UK/NI/Ire all returning together. That's also probably a lot of work for HQ to have such a large number events start back on the one morning.

Think parkrun will have been kicking themselves that they haven't been able to get up and running already, not that they could so far. The last couple of days media in the UK have been covering Boris Johnsons plans to make the nation healthier after he noticed that him being overweight wasn't the best for when he went into hospital with Covid...

...but that meant that cycling was being talked about in terms of being prescribed by GP's as a health intervention in the news and so parkrun which has been doing lots of work with GP surgeries for the last couple of years to get parkrun prescribed for people has missed out on the publicity there. parkrun did all the ground work with the concept of prescribing activity and then cycling comes along as takes it away from them.

A parkrun podcast I listened to a while ago had hinted that Ireland was in a better position than the UK in terms of Covid handling but that they couldn't start back Ireland and not the UK due to the risk of numbers travelling. So if there are positive whispers of the UK parkruns returning, I'd imagine it will be UK/NI/Ire all returning together. That's also probably a lot of work for HQ to have such a large number events start back on the one morning.

We definitely are in a better position to restart events given how well we have done in comparison to UK. However, Ireland has been much more conservative in re-opening country as opposed to UK and this may be reflected again here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Seannew1 wrote: »
    We definitely are in a better position to restart events given how well we have done in comparison to UK. However, Ireland has been much more conservative in re-opening country as opposed to UK and this may be reflected again here.

Both Ireland and UK are watching the increases in the virus in Europe. So I can't see parkrun happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

It just is not as simple as lets start parkrun up again. Times have changed

Each event will require a covid-19 officer hands up who wants to be that person for their local event

Temperature checks of participants 2 or 3 more volunteers at the start with extra equipment required

No bar code(no longer no time) but make yourself known to the RD so they can get your contact details. GDPR and submitting that info to HQ ? more work for an event team

Personally I miss my Saturday morning parkrun experience but the COVID19 requirements probably needed to run an event wlll be a far cry form the original ethos of friends turning up to run as timed 5K and have coffee afterwards.

ger664 wrote: »

Temperature checks of participants 2 or 3 more volunteers at the start with extra equipment required

No bar code(no longer no time) but make yourself known to the RD so they can get your contact details. GDPR and submitting that info to HQ ? more work for an event team

Do you think they will actually restart with those requirements still in place from the government?

parkrun can't control who lines up at their start lines, or who might join in or leave part way round. Can't see them taking responsibility for doing those checks as it would require them to have far more control over who is in the park space than they would want to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,841 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ger664 wrote: »
    It just is not as simple as lets start parkrun up again. Times have changed

Each event will require a covid-19 officer hands up who wants to be that person for their local event

Personally I miss my Saturday morning parkrun experience but the COVID19 requirements probably needed to run an event wlll be a far cry form the original ethos of friends turning up to run as timed 5K and have coffee afterwards.

They could do.what the gaa does. A website where you declared you taken your kids or your own temp.

For now we could load your own time up to the website. No need for barcode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

For now we could load your own time up to the website. No need for barcode.
    That currently exists with the not parkun (and previously with the freedom run) option. There's very low take up on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement