Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Trifle recipes

• 30-06-2020 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭

Doing some planning for the xmas dinner :o
    I realised we had never done a trifle for desert.

In fact I haven't had it for years.

I was wondering if anyone has any interesting recipes the more boozy the better :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Planning Christmas dinner?!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Planning Christmas dinner?!!!?

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail :D

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

My mother used to make this posh trifle with sherry, sponges, custard and cream. It wasn't half as good as the one my friend's mother made with jelly, two blancmanges, tinned fruit and some sort of artificial cream. Now that's a recipe for Christmas :)

There's a thread on the Christmas forum called Christmas baking/cooking. That might be a good place to check/ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'm surprised at how many people make a face when I mention trifle but I've changed a few people's minds and it's the traditional Christmas dessert in Chez Seamaí. My one is made in individual glasses and involves layer of sherry soaked madeira cake, raspberries, some raspberry jam, custard, no jelly, topped with cream, toasted almonds and chocolate curls.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm surprised at how many people make a face when I mention trifle but I've changed a few people's minds and it's the traditional Christmas dessert in Chez Seamaí. My one is made in individual glasses and involves layer of sherry soaked madeira cake, raspberries, some raspberry jam, custard, no jelly, topped with cream, toasted almonds and chocolate curls.

That sounds amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Trifle has always been the Christmas Day dessert in our household - raspberry jelly, gateaux raspberry swiss roll (!) doused in whiskey/sherry/brandy (whatever you have!), topped with tinned fruit cocktail and birds custard and lashings of cream - divine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My aunt makes sherry trifle for family get togethers. She does not drink and therefore has no idea how much sherry to put in. We can’t let children have any and it’s inadvisable to let it come near a naked flame. I love the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Sherry trifle is my mother's specialty, and her siblings always request it from her. I wouldn't be as mad on it as they are but it has definitely grown on me over the years!

It more or less includes sherry soaked madeira, strawberry jelly, and fruit cocktail topped with cream, a layer of banana and chocolate flake.

Tig98 wrote: »
    Sherry trifle is my mother's specialty, and her siblings always request it from her. I wouldn't be as mad on it as they are but it has definitely grown on me over the years!

It more or less includes sherry soaked madeira, strawberry jelly, and fruit cocktail topped with cream, a layer of banana and chocolate flake.

Mother of god.

That sounds right up my street!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭phormium

I make two different ones each Christmas, one with jelly/sponge/fruit raspberries/strawberries, custard and cream and then one with sponge soaked with a mix of dry sherry and fruit juice, fruit peaches/pears, squished down to a flat layer then holes poked every inch or so and very thin custard poured over, loads of lovely softly whipped cream.

Second sherry trifle was also my mother's way of doing it and we used that recipe in a catering capacity for weddings etc for many years, very popular. I'm a non drinker too but love lots of alcohol in my desserts :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

The last few years I've made a ginger and orange trifle.

Ginger sponge, dotted with chopped stem ginger, drizzle of ginger syrup. Good splash of Cointreau, and Amaretto if you have it, into the sponge. Topped with canned mandarins and a layer of orange jelly.

Allow to set and top with fresh custard, whipped cream and chocolate flake or curls.

Extremely delicious, deceivingly light, and very popular with adults and children.

I think a few trial runs might be in order :D:D

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I make mine from scratch, and it's a pretty big hit in the house. The only rule is that there should be some left for breakfast on the 26th.

Raspberry Trifle
    Jelly:
    5 leaves Gelatine · Juice of half a lemon
    · 400g Raspberries
    · 150 ml juice
    · 70g Golden Caster Sugar

Custard:
    50g caster sugar · 50g cornflour
    · 1 tsp vanilla extract
    · 2 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
    · 300ml milk
    · 1 gelatine leaf
    · 300ml whipping cream

Topping:

250g mascarpone · 250g cream
    · 2 tablespoons icing sugar
    · Flaked toasted almonds to decorate

Soak Gelatine leaves in a small amount of water to soften.
    Put 250g Raspberries with sugar in 150 ml juice and simmer until fruit is soft. Sieve out the seeds and stir in lemon. Top up with cold water to 300ml, add softened gelatine leaves. Remove from heat to fully cool but not set.
    Arrange the rest of the raspberries in the bottom of a serving bowl. Pour cooled jelly over them and refrigerate overnight.

Tip the caster sugar, cornflour and vanilla into a mixing bowl and add the eggs and egg yolk. Whisk with a hand whisk until smooth and blended.
    Pour the milk and cream into a pan and heat gently until hot, but do not boil. Pour this over the egg mixture and immediately whisk until blended. Wash the pan to remove any scum from the milk and pour the custard back into the clean pan. Heat gently, stirring constantly until thickened. Don’t panic if the custard starts to look lumpy as it thickens, just continue to heat and whisk until the custard is thick and smooth. Add in gelatine leaf and whisk until dissolved. Pour into a jug and cover the surface of the custard with cling film to prevent a skin from forming. When cooled down, spoon over the set jelly mixture. Refrigerate overnight.

Whisk mascarpone and cream together with the icing sugar until soft peaks form. Spoon it over custard, sprinkle toasted almond flakes on top and serve.

That looks stunning. Would love to try it.

Why no sponge in the base? I love a spongy base.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

That looks stunning. Would love to try it.

Why no sponge in the base? I love a spongy base.

That's just personal preference because I hate a spongy base, but there's no reason why you couldn't add one.

Similarly with the raspberry, I think a tart fruit flavour balances the sweetness of the cream/custard but a sherry kick or another zingy fruit could work really well too. Because you've the base recipe there's the potential for flavoured custard like chocolate/ christmas spices/ caramel/ orange rather than the standard vanilla, and pick a complimentary jelly to pair with the custard - just check as there's some fruits that prevent setting.

I'm tempted to make a chocolate orange trifle now...

The last few years I've made a ginger and orange trifle.

Ginger sponge, dotted with chopped stem ginger, drizzle of ginger syrup. Good splash of Cointreau, and Amaretto if you have it, into the sponge. Topped with canned mandarins and a layer of orange jelly.

Allow to set and top with fresh custard, whipped cream and chocolate flake or curls.

Extremely delicious, deceivingly light, and very popular with adults and children.

I really like the sound of that. Except I'd be really tempted to try a chocolate custard with it. I may need a few test runs...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

It is a great honour in my mam's house to be allowed to pour the sherry into the trifle. You are judged harshly by the family on distribution and strength. I always make it too strong (on purpose) and my mam makes it too weak. We can never seem to get it right. :) But it's always devoured in our house and it's the cheapest, easiest desert to make.
    She uses a pre-made flan as the sponge base, ripped up into pieces and doused with sherry. Layer of tinned fruit cocktail all mixed in with raspberry jelly and left to set in the fridge. Topped with fresh whipped cream and the obligatory dusting of sprinkles. Can't do without the sprinkles!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Saw a WhatsForTea video the other the other day where she cuts discs from a Madeira cake to use as trifle sponges.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWFOC5QqRzY

God I love trifle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement