Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free WiFi hotspots around city centre for Zoom event?

Options
  • 29-06-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi, I will have an 8h Zoom class over two days and I have limited internet at home as I imagine 8h would take about 8gb if not more. Normally I would use library for free wifi but they are still closed to public. Any suggestions on that?
    Also my laptop won't make 4h on battery so I would need to plug it in so can't really use on street. Thanks in advance for any tips

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

I believe shopping Centres agreed to turn off their public wifi to limit people congregating..... public libraries are open for collection but not sure if you can go in yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pubs would have to move you on after 1hr 45mins so not really an option for an 8 hour class.

For comfort Id say check into a hotel and do it from the room. Or seek a hotel with meeting rooms. Or hot desks in enterprise centers.

If money is an issue then maybe Dublin airport though check if its possible to use their wifi beyond a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Get a hotdesk some where. Relying on public wifi for business of this sort is not a good idea. One glitch and your credibility gets a hit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Arrangement with an AirBnB host? Hotel easier option though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

The Alex hotel has a decent open co-working space, you just pick a spot and off you go, no need to book. Not great if you need to contribute to the class though, as there's no privacy, and I'm not sure if they have altered their set up due to social distancing/guests only. They have a coffee shop beside that area so I'm sure if you patronise that a few times during the day they won't pay too much attention to you ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Are any Starbucks open? They have free wifi and I don't think they even ask to you buy anything anymore after certain incidents in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭baamus

Appreciate your suggestions some good ideas here, thank you all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Most ISPs have suspended the limits during Covid. You should check before you trek off somewhere, yours probably has.

Advertisement