Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Head Scoop

• 18-05-2020 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Anyone have advice on various brands of head scoops,
    Anyone have the "dual scoop" that connachtagri.ie have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Got the Barrett's version few weeks back & used it last week bolousing cows & hiefers. It's a great job & delighted with it. Cheaper than the rest too.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

Got the Barrett's version few weeks back & used it last week bolousing cows & hiefers. It's a great job & delighted with it. Cheaper than the rest too.

Would agree. Barretts the best and a nice guy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Third for Barretts, they have a new design handle that you swing down to lock scoop in front of headgate, rather than dropping in a pin, much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 srhm

Good response for the Barrett one, thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Where did you guys get the Barrets one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

squinn2912 wrote: »
    Where did you guys get the Barrets one?

https://www.nbe.ie/

There's a phone no on the website.

List of stockists

https://www.nbe.ie/stockists-of-our-products/

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Had a barret head scoop here, got rid of it for a gibney with a hand winch.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭nhg

Have a Nugent here with a few years, great job

Are any of them easy release? I tried one of those Nugent ones in a yard yesterday with my father applying weight, I near broke my finger off!

Barrett’s scoop arrived today lads but with it a pile of confusion for me! How high up do you bolt it onto the crush and how do you work the quick release? Any photos would be a great help. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Farmer Dan

Theres a video on his website about fitting it.

Farmer Dan wrote: »
    Theres a video on his website about fitting it.

Would you link that? I can’t find it on the we site. Thanks

Would you link that? I can’t find it on the we site. Thanks

https://www.nbe.ie/animal-handling-equipment/our-products-in-use/

2nd video down.

See it now thank you. I didn’t get the bracket with it I should have

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

One of the best purchases you will ever make. Let the cow do the work when you are pushing the scoop up so you don't strain your back or arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

I also have a barrets type best money spent, the day I bought it thinking have I just wasted the money to buy a pallet of fertiliser

Thanks lads. See the bar on the right that swings? What’s it for? Have it half set up. I think the pin on the left should be a pin rather than a bolt too... getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Thanks lads. See the bar on the right that swings? What’s it for? Have it half set up. I think the pin on the left should be a pin rather than a bolt too... getting there

That locks the scoop closed. It's a great job when alls done

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Westernrock

I could be wrong but is there any chance you have it upside down or something? Doesn’t seem quite right for some reason 🀔

I could be wrong but is there any chance you have it upside down or something? Doesn’t seem quite right for some reason 🀔

That’s what I’m wondering was something put on back to front or something? Driving me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭lab man

That's not right anyway for sure, pm me yer number I'll send u a pic of mine in the morn or a vid if it's better for u it took good while for me to figure the set up right too

Might be some help to you.....

Might be some help to you.....

Thank you! I’ll get another study at it tomorrow but something is definitely wrong way round

Well do I get the not a moron certificate now?!

Well do I get the not a moron certificate now?!

Good job, can you put up a picture of your head gate? I think they are the best head gate around, far better than the automatic or semi automatic!!

Good job, can you put up a picture of your head gate? I think they are the best head gate around, far better than the automatic or semi automatic!!

Yea no bother. It’s about a fair long time now I’m not even sure of the make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,199 ✭✭✭tanko

It looks like a Morris head gate.

Yep I’d say a Morris, we had one at home place on a portable weigh bridge must be there 25 years and still works perfect! I come across a lot of different head gates with work and none come close to this type. Once you get the timing to catching them it’s so simple and you can catch cattle with horns etc. Find it near impossible to get cattle into some of the automatic/semi automatic head gates for skulling/IV injections.

Yep I’d say a Morris, we had one at home place on a portable weigh bridge must be there 25 years and still works perfect! I come across a lot of different head gates with work and none come close to this type. Once you get the timing to catching them it’s so simple and you can catch cattle with horns etc. Find it near impossible to get cattle into some of the automatic/semi automatic head gates for skulling/IV injections.

Yano what lads you’re right it is! That one is up 20 years and it’s a great job. Odd time one will get the head caught if the gate is closed on either side but that’s not the animal’s fault! Ones with horns aren’t easy but this backing bar should improve that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Sillycave

nhg wrote: »
    Have a Nugent here with a few years, great job

How do u find that crush gate? What type is it?
    Going to be buying one and that looks like the one I looked at in the ploughing last year but can’t remember the make or price

Advertisement