Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will we fly again? II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,236 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Stobart to restart international Aer Lingus Regional flights from mid July on a phased basis.

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/91893-stobart-air-to-resume-intl-aer-lingus-regional-ops-in-3q20

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭anplaya27

Does anyone think there will be flights to USA in Aug? Will be staying with friends so dont have to worry about accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Who in their right mind is going to give a country a $3000 deposit?

Sounds like they're trying to deter tourists from coming. Or else they really can't foot the bill themselves anymore.

I do feel sorry for all the Cambodian people working in the tourism sector, this will be devastating to them.

List of costs here quoted from the local media:
    According to the ministry statement, to take the required Covid-19 test, an arriving foreigner must pay at least $165, including $100 for the test, $5 for transportation from the airport to the testing center, $30 per day for accommodation at a hotel or designated facility while awaiting test results and $30 for three meals per day.

Covid-19 test results usually take about 24 hours to process, the ministry has said.

If an arriving foreigner tests negative for Covid-19, but is placed in quarantine for 14 days because at least one person on their flight tested positive, they will need to pay at least $1,086 during the two-week quarantine period. Additional quarantine service fees include $15 for laundry, $6 per day for doctors and $3 per day for security.

If an arriving foreigner tests positive for Covid-19 and requires treatment at a state hospital, they will pay at least $330 for one day in the hospital. Fees include $30 per day for hospital accommodation and $150 per day for hospital treatment and medicine.

If a foreigner wishes to receive a Covid-19 health certificate, they will pay $130 for the test and certificate fee.

While Cambodia has reported no Covid-19-related deaths, the ministry noted that cremation costs $1,500.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50732611/foreigners-to-be-charged-for-c-19-quarantine-tests/?fbclid=IwAR0li-PR_zcJxh59_UcniiKyvRKhnxu2Ho7hvbeNgwVh6sk90jJ8gZp-HTY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Does anyone think there will be flights to USA in Aug? Will be staying with friends so dont have to worry about accommodation.

Immigration is a bigger issue than flights tbh. There is talk of lifting the ban on non US citizens/residents but it hasn't happened yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Donie75 wrote: »
    I'm looking to fly to the UK for a few days. There are no self-isolation/quarantine requirements flying to the UK but flying back to Ireland there are. The Irish regulations are up for review on the 18th of June. Any word if they are likely to be relaxed?

im waiting on this too, ive a flight booked next weekend to the UK but nothing booked back yet, you would hope they would do away with this ridiculous self isolate upon arrival back to Dublin otherwise ill have to get a nightmare overnight ferry from Birkenhead to Belfast then coach to Dublin.

• Advertisement

The way things are going id be very surprised if they didn't do away with this stupid self isolate rule upon arrival back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Why wouldnt you go to the US?I have no problem going over.Relatives live over there and they said everything is getting back to some sort of normality slowly.As i said i am not going until December so hopefully everything is opened back up by then.Cant wait to go over.Getting away to the warm weather for a few weeks :)

The spread is uncontrolled as states put the economy over people’s health

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gael23 wrote: »
    The spread is uncontrolled as states put the economy over people’s health

I go there couple of times a year to family, i don’t think i’d chance it until at least next spring and it depends how things are then,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I go there couple of times a year to family, i don’t think i’d chance it until at least next spring and it depends how things are then,

As much as I’m all for reopening European borders, a level of caution is likely necessary for the US for the rest of the year. No doubt the virus is going to spread like wild fire and god knows what the government will do with publishing figures when it does get out of hand. The second wave in some states as the US media calls it, is not a second wave. The first wave never went away

On top of that the political landscape Is going to get very interesting between now and after the election in November. Trump isn’t going to go without a fight and who knows what will happen when his number is up.

I travel to the US many times a year, it broke my heart leaving there in March. Granted I’d still get on a plane to go this year but it would only be if I deemed it necessary.

Not scaremongering. Just a sense of caution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Due to go with girlfriend 1st - 6th December New York for the Christmas rush.

Although it mightn’t be so magical If temperatures continue to rise with the tension like they have :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

faceman wrote: »
    As much as I’m all for reopening European borders, a level of caution is likely necessary for the US for the rest of the year. No doubt the virus is going to spread like wild fire and god knows what the government will do with publishing figures when it does get out of hand. The second wave in some states as the US media calls it, is not a second wave. The first wave never went away

On top of that the political landscape Is going to get very interesting between now and after the election in November. Trump isn’t going to go without a fight and who knows what will happen when his number is up.

I travel to the US many times a year, it broke my heart leaving there in March. Granted I’d still get on a plane to go this year but it would only be if I deemed it necessary.

Not scaremongering. Just a sense of caution.

Maybe mid 2021 holiday flights from Ireland will be possible to US, no way on Earth it will happen in 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Maybe mid 2021 holiday flights from Ireland will be possible to US, no way on Earth it will happen in 2020.
    I’ll be aiming for March/April, we’ll have to wait and see. No one on boards has the expertise to predict when hence why i said it’s an aim. Like Faceman i’m sure , as soon as it’s safe i’ll probably be on the first flight out of here ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Australia has announced it will not reopen its borders to foreign travel until next year

That's pretty huge news for Irish considering our links with the country

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

What is the story with Greece? are (Irish) we allowed to enter from July 1st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

NotMOL wrote: »
    What is the story with Greece? are (Irish) we allowed to enter from July 1st?
    Greece is already open.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NotMOL

Greece is already open.

Are they opened for Irish yet? I last checked a few days ago but Ireland wasn't included

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm due to fly to Boston the first week in October, to see Boston, Salem and Martha's Vineyard.

Id love a concrete answer one way or another if we'll be able to travel. We don't really want to go if we can't do everything we wanted to and if it isn't safe.

I'm assuming we won't be going but I hate the air of uncertainty. I'm OK with losing the money paid but it's still 4 months away so who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Id love a concrete answer one way or another if we'll be able to travel. We don't really want to go if we can't do everything we wanted to and if it isn't safe.

Trump has to open the borders to tourists first. That's a decision that could happen or not at any time between now and the US Election in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Caranica wrote: »
    Trump has to open the borders to tourists first. That's a decision that could happen or not at any time between now and the US Election in November.

True.I almost hope he doesn't reopen before October and that will be the decision taken out of our hands!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

True.I almost hope he doesn't reopen before October and that will be the decision taken out of our hands!

If you’re ok with losing the money, then just don’t go. If you weren’t, and you wanted a refund, that’s a bit more out of your hands.

• Advertisement

"Mutual and reciprocal" is the new buzz phrase to go along with SOP and RMCO

"Malaysia is in the "very early" stages of discussion on the implementation of a 'travel bubble' with six countries which have successfully contained the Covid-19 outbreak.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the six countries were Singapore, Brunei, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and South Korea.

"We need to finalise the standard operating procedures (SOPs) and reach an agreement with the countries on several matters, which has to be mutual and reciprocal."

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/06/6…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Looking at flights for Norway in July 2021, but now I see the cases are surging again in Europe, I wonder will we be just in the same ****heap we are in now in another year ???

What a mess...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Looking at flights for Norway in July 2021, but now I see the cases are surging again in Europe, I wonder will we be just in the same ****heap we are in now in another year ???

What a mess...

Cases aren’t surging again in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,516 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

TomSweeney wrote: »
    Looking at flights for Norway in July 2021, but now I see the cases are surging again in Europe, I wonder will we be just in the same ****heap we are in now in another year ???.

12 months away.. I hear there's a second wave coming by then...be careful!

faceman wrote: »
    Cases aren’t surging again in Europe

Ok, fair enough, but exponential etc...

I am in 2 minds here, flights now with SAS are good, but would I just be wasting my money - perhaps no refunds with booking now ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Are the naysayers and begrudgers on here going to spontaneously combust into flames when all their efforts to deter people from flying abroad go down the sh*tter in the next few weeks :D:D

A picture posted of a view out onto the wing of the plane would suffice on this thread to finish them off nicely I imagine.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Are the naysayers and begrudgers on here going to spontaneously combust into flames when all their efforts to deter people from flying abroad go down the sh*tter in the next few weeks :D:D

A picture posted of a view out onto the wing of the plane would suffice on this thread to finish them off nicely I imagine.

I want things to get back to normal I really do, but cases are starting to rise in Europe again, and exponential growth is key here.

There is a sense of inevitability to it ...

CBear1993 wrote: »

ha well said :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭theoldbreed

I don't normally go onto The Journal, just had a quick look at the comments under an article about air bridges...my God you'd swear anyone choosing to go is some sort of terrorist. If I do go abroad I will be keeping it very quiet. I don't understand why they would have an issue with travel to countries where there's an air bridge though.

Advertisement