Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

game chair

• 28-06-2020 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭

Are gaming chairs like X Rocker suitable for people of all sizes?

My daughter is 5'3". Should I look at chairs made for specifically for teenagers or does it matter?

Some come with a pillow for the neck but designed for adults an they be adjusted?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I think all those gaming chairs are daft. Why would you want to sit in a race car chair for hours on end? They're hard and designed to keep you not comfortable so you'll stay alert. I cringe when I see all these streamers using them.

Best gaming chair is the most comfy chair in your house, end of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Rob2D wrote: »
    I think all those gaming chairs are daft. Why would you want to sit in a race car chair for hours on end? They're hard and designed to keep you not comfortable so you'll stay alert. I cringe when I see all these streamers using them.

I was concerned that they would be too comfortable and lead to too much time on games.

I'm not bringing the couch upstairs :P

In that case I'll ask the question differently.

I'm looking for ideas for a bedroom chair for watching movies and playing xBox.

It cannot be very big and must be easy to move around the room.

Bean bags are not an option as it also needs to be chair for doing homework at a desk.

I appreciate the input but why did you feel compelled to be narky about it.

Why not just be nice and say "those chais are daft, not designed for comfort, etc"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

I appreciate the input but why did you feel compelled to be narky about it.

When they stop feeling compelled to sell stupid chairs then maybe I'll feel compelled to stop being "narky" about it.

• Advertisement

When they stop feeling compelled to sell stupid chairs then maybe I'll feel compelled to stop being "narky" about it.

You are clearly in a bad mood today for some reason but can you please go and vent in elsewhere.

Stop upsetting yourself one trivialities like chairs. Gt a grip lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

"Gaming chairs" are a gimmick.

Get yourself either a) the most comfortable chair in your house or b) a comfortable office chair.

I personally use this: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-grey-30261152/

Plenty of others do too. It's a solid, comfortable chair that will last you years and won't break the bank. Whatever you do, don't feel the need to go out and spend 700+ on a "gaming chair" that some Twitch streamer is paid to endorse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They are comfy, highly adjustable and great for posture and built to last.

Most office chairs are thrown together, terrible for posture and fall apart in no time.

I was worried at the time it would be a big waste of money, but its more than earned its money. And is the best chair I've ever owned to be honest.

Now i do my gaming around a PC/Desk, so if you're getting one for someone who doesnt sit at a desk and will just be sitting back from a TV, it might be a waste.

EDIT:

Also to add, there appear to be a lot of different companies cashing in on the "gaming chair" bandwagon, so not sure how good they are, mines a DX Racer which is solid. So id do some research into the brand you plan on buying to make sure they aint just thrown together to cash in on parents..

"Gaming chairs" are a gimmick.

Get yourself either a) the most comfortable chair in your house or b) a comfortable office chair.

I personally use this: https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/markus-office-chair-vissle-dark-grey-30261152/

Plenty of others do too. It's a solid, comfortable chair that will last you years and won't break the bank. Whatever you do, don't feel the need to go out and spend 700+ on a "gaming chair" that some Twitch streamer is paid to endorse.

There was no question of that kind of money and I don't know what twitch is.

I just assumed the chairs were designed for comfort and as I post later any thoughts on comfortable chairs are welcome.

nix wrote: »

Most office chairs are thrown together, terrible for posture and fall apart in no time.

I was worried at the time it would be a big waste of money, but its more than earned its money. And is the best chair I've ever owned to be honest.

Now i do my gaming around a PC/Desk, so if you're getting one for someone who doesnt sit at a desk and will just be sitting back from a TV, it might be a waste.

EDIT:

Also to add, there appear to be a lot of different companies cashing in on the "gaming chair" bandwagon, so not sure how good they are, mines a DX Racer which is solid. So id do some research into the brand you plan on buying to make sure they aint just thrown together to cash in on parents..

There would be more movie watching and reading than gameplay but it needs to be easy to move to make way for the pull down bed.

A separate folding office chair for the homework would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I just assumed the chairs were designed for comfort and as I post later any thoughts on comfortable chairs are welcome.

Well I linked you one that I use (and I know a good few others on boards use) there that's comfortable.

Well I linked you one that I use (and I know a good few others on boards use) there that's comfortable.

Sorry I did mean to thank you for that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

This is a quality chair;

6be2c15c3abdf2d4997e419dd2ec6687.jpg

nix wrote: »

EDIT:

those dx ones look just like office chairs tbh except with a garish paint job

https://www.dxracer.com/us/en-us/?

M09Zwzp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Well they can come in all sorts of colour schemes, that one in your post wasnt out when i got mine, i prob would have hung on if i had known :pac:

But eh, they're more customizable than your average office chair, the arms height can be adjusted, i think on some modes they can be rotated, which id like and the back can recline all the way back, which helps comfort. You can set the angle to the exact one you want, you dont have to lean into it.. I used to be twisting and turning constantly in my old office chairs trying to get comfortable sometimes.. And a set arm height was a pain in the arse for keyboard/mouse users...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I got one of those gaming looking chairs as a gift. Actually trying to sell it now because I can't get the arm rests correct with how I'm trying to reorganise my desk ergonomics. If I manage to sell it I'm going for a fairly standard office chair from a local supplier that showed me I can adjust the arms or just outright take them off if I want.

BeerWolf wrote: »
    This is a quality chair;

6be2c15c3abdf2d4997e419dd2ec6687.jpg

Do you know if that is still available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭brady12

wheres my bes hope getting one that i wont get screwed on customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

best advice is don't get one and get yourself a decent office chair

Advertisement