Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

I rarely buy food in the cinema beyond the occasional hotdog. I wouldn't be opposed to buying some food as condition of ticket. It would have to be temporary tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Cork Omniplex have one film on their schedule from 3rd July on (Sonic). Maybe they're putting that Friday as their reopening, or could just be an error

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

titan18 wrote:
    Cork Omniplex have one film on their schedule from 3rd July on (Sonic). Maybe they're putting that Friday as their reopening, or could just be an error

Galway omniplex reopening on the 3rd..now showings announced yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Shannon Omniplex opening on the 3rd as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,293 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No mention of the reopening of the Ennis cinema yet on their website

• Advertisement

branie2 wrote: »
    No mention of the reopening of the Ennis cinema yet on their website

Ya, seems only certain ones first. Possibly maybe lack of staff in the place or not busy enough usually.

Be interesting to see what they'll show. I'm guessing Sonic as that was up already on the Cork one. It'll likely be 3 quiet weeks until Mulan anyway (although be shocked if that's not delayed)

Wonder what they'll do with the omnipass too, or Cineworld and their multipass.

It's hard to justify keeping it if there's no new films coming out. Tenet and Mulan if they stay justify it, but without those, there's nothing in July. August is rather empty too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

IMC Dun Laoghaire only has Andre Rieu: Masstricht Concert 2020 for the 1st & 2nd of August. No other films are listed there at the moment.

Odeon Cinema in Stillorgan, which is my local cinema, has a much more substantial list of films to offer when you book in advance.

A Star is Born
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    Calm with Horses
    Dirty Dancing (30th Anniversary)
    La La Land
    Little Women
    NT Live: Jack Absolute Flies Again
    Onward
    Sonic The Hedgehog

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

With C19 spiking again in the US, I wonder if some of the big films we're hoping to see here soon will be put on ice again. If American cinemas are forced to rethink their reopening, the studios will surely forego releasing blockbusters in the rest of the world weeks or months earlier than their most lucrative territories.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Not sure if it has been mentioned but looking like 20th of July before the lighthouse will reopen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

titan18 wrote: »

It's hard to justify keeping it if there's no new films coming out. Tenet and Mulan if they stay justify it, but without those, there's nothing in July. August is rather empty too.

I have a Cineworld Unlimited Card - they haven't charged the monthly membership for the last 3 months. It will be interesting to see what will happen in July. I reckon the Dublin Cineworld might have to follow guidelines from/align with the UK Cineworlds?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,968 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do you know what date Tenet is due to be released?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    With C19 spiking again in the US, I wonder if some of the big films we're hoping to see here soon will be put on ice again. If American cinemas are forced to rethink their reopening, the studios will surely forego releasing blockbusters in the rest of the world weeks or months earlier than their most lucrative territories.

That seems very relevant here. The charts for reinfection in the US are looking scary and even with our own bump it doesn't compare with the States' spike. As you say, it's fair speculation studios push back release again if things get very bad. But then there was such resistance from the first lockdown, including from the president, I'd also wonder if there's even appetite to reverse the reopening. So my own bet is we won't see anything in July, least of all Tenet. I hope I'm wrong, cos being right means America is in trouble.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And looks like the answer to the above wondering is "yes", as Tenet has been pushed back again to the end of July; if America truly has dropped off a cliff then I'd imagine that date will change yet again...

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-release-date-delayed-again-christopher-nolan-1234690272/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭tscul32

My local is opening next week with lots of older blockbusters, a good mix of family and others. At the moment you can book any seats, I'd imagine that as soon as a group of seats is booked, they block out the seats either side, in front and behind. Be interesting to see. Means they're better off getting bigger groups.
    Still won't be going near it for a while, let someone else be the guinea pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I wonder why nobody looks at China and what's happening there. They are ahead of EU by 2 months.

Cinemas/theaters have the worst possible arrangement for spread. In China they opened the cinemas in March and then immediately closed them because people were getting infected.

The whole thing appears to be about managing surge capacity in hospitals, which is something they can't cope with well. They say we need to reach 60% of saturation for this pandemic to be over.

I think this 'reopening' thing is more nuanced than what the media makes it look like. Some businesses can go pretty much back to normal, some will stay closed for a long time.

My prediction is that there will be clusters of infections breaking out at these venues opening early and they are just shooting themselves in the foot.

If cinemas open, without some tentpole films, they will haemorrhage money, and no studio is going to release their big films to near empty screens

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭El Duda

Apparently in England we are getting The Dark Knight trilogy and Empire strikes back.

All films I can watch at home in 4K HDR. Utterly pointless and not at all worth any risk.

Omniplex posted there films

Joker, Peter Rabbit, Sonic, Onward, 1917, The Conjuring, The Greatest Showman, The Lego Movie and Spiderman Homecoming.

It's a list of films that makes me not want to go. I'd have taken TDK trilogy and Empire Strikes Back.

pixelburp wrote: »
    And looks like the answer to the above wondering is "yes", as Tenet has been pushed back again to the end of July; if America truly has dropped off a cliff then I'd imagine that date will change yet again...

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-office/tenet-release-date-delayed-again-christopher-nolan-1234690272/

Mulan pushed as well, and Bill and Ted.

So now nothing really until Tenet, then Mulan a week later and Bill and Ted the week after for new releases.

Id still be surprised those film's release then too with the US situation.

• Advertisement

Mulan pushed as well, and Bill and Ted.

So now nothing really until Tenet, then Mulan a week later and Bill and Ted the week after for new releases.

Id still be surprised those film's release then too with the US situation.

At this rate, with the US spiralling, studios would be best just shoving everything back to Christmas. We've already had flare ups even in Germany so clearly the situation is way too fluid

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

As much as I love the cinema I don't think I'll be going for a good while yet.

Id go if it was a new release. I'm not sure i can justify going to see films I can just watch at home anyway. Maybe if I was really bored and knew it'd be empty (which I reckon it will) or if there's no out on the omnipass as if I'm still paying for it, might as well use it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Omniplex posted there films

Joker, Peter Rabbit, Sonic, Onward, 1917, The Conjuring, The Greatest Showman, The Lego Movie and Spiderman Homecoming.

It's a list of films that makes me not want to go. I'd have taken TDK trilogy and Empire Strikes Back.

Arc Cinema in Drogheda also reopening, showing older releases like A Star Is Born, The Greatest Showman and Guardians of the Galaxy 2.
    I want to go to the cinema, but between work and watching the 3 seasons of Dark TV series I will probably wait until the weekend to see how things will develop.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

I'm surprised there's no uproar about masks like with AMC. Are these cinemas requiring face coverings or not? Can you sue them if you get sick?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,642 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The same here
    I love the cinema and with the right film it can be great but I will not be risking any time soon. Just far to risky. Most of the films that I wanted to see will not even be out now until Christmas so hopefully we will be on top of the virus by then and it will be mostly gone.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Love the cinema but would not risk it again until a new movie really draws me in.

I am looking at the film release calendar and the first movie on it that appeals to me is: The French Dispatch by Wes Anderson (scheduled out in UK on 16 Oct).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

If nobody had invented cinema, you wouldnt do it today unless for novelty value like like the occasional summer drive in or perhaps some kind of festival where its more of an event. While it wont go away soon, it might one of those things when you look back in 10 years and see that 2019 was a hard peak?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

silverharp wrote: »
    If nobody had invented cinema, you wouldnt do it today unless for novelty value like like the occasional summer drive in or perhaps some kind of festival where its more of an event. While it wont go away soon, it might one of those things when you look back in 10 years and see that 2019 was a hard peak?

People have been saying that since the 80s when VHS and Betamax came out but cinemas when on to be come even more popular.

Cinema will always be popular, big screen sound, atmosphere and reaction of an audience.

It's just something you can't get at home in the same way and I think it will be around for a long time yet.

• Advertisement

What I think might happen, and the way Blockbusters have been going it has arguably already begun, is that "cinema" becomes a glorified theme park ride. In that one doesn't go because that's the only place to enjoy a modestly budgeted feature film - clearly Amazon and Netflix are hoovering up that space - rather it's where you go for a brain-off cavalcade of outsized superficial stimuli. And because of the sway studios already hold over cinema chains, smaller movies are being squeezed out anyway - witness Disney effectively strong-arming chains by demanding a larger cut of screenings, forcing cinemas to put on more showings.

The modern blockbuster is loud, bombastic and best enjoyed on a large canvas, and often you'll struggle to find anything "smaller" at the movies. To use a tenuous analogy: the car didn't cause the extinction of the horse; rather the animal became a niche hobby with a small, but profitable industry behind it.

Advertisement