Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

EUROVISION SONG CONTEST: The Story Of Fire Saga

Options
  • 12-06-2020 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭

When aspiring musicians Lars (Will Ferrell) and Sigrit (Rachel McAdams) are given the opportunity of a lifetime to represent their country at the world’s biggest song competition, they finally have a chance to prove that any dream worth having is a dream worth fighting for.

like Will Ferrell and its great to see Rachel McAdams doing comedy but its seems a little forced. Graham Norton is in it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

As a pretty hardcore Eurovision fan, I'm looking forward to this. Hope they don't take the piss *too* much though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

As a pretty hardcore Eurovision fan, I'm looking forward to this. Hope they don't take the piss *too* much though :p

Is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is Jedward or Dustin in for any cameos?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭touts

Saw the Trailer on Netflix. If that's the best bits then I'll give it a miss. It looks like something dragged out of the bin in a 90s cutting room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭p to the e

It makes "Holmes and Watson" look funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I saw the trailer minus the sound; only got to watch it properly this morning. As I watched that first time I had thought: hmmm, Ferrell's going to be pulling a comedy Scandinavian accent, the jokes amounting to people declaring what's happening, or "hey, these guys are so krazee & weird!". I hate being right :D

Said it in the Netflix thread, but this entire premise feels redundant: the Eurovision long ago reckoned with its outsized, camp and farcical nature. It practically revels in it, a big communal guilty pleasure. A film being silly with that inherent silliness doesn't make sense IMO. What's the joke here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

pixelburp wrote: »
    Said it in the Netflix thread, but this entire premise feels redundant: the Eurovision long ago reckoned with its outsized, camp and farcical nature. It practically revels in it, a big communal guilty pleasure. A film being silly with that inherent silliness doesn't make sense IMO. What's the joke here?

Agreed - the Eurovision is beyond satire or being pocked fun at. If they were going to make a movie about it they should have gone the opposite direction and made it ultra sincere. However, perhaps most American viewers aren't that familiar with it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just because the Eurovision doesn't take it self seriously doesn't mean the affected Eurotrash accent isn't hilarious to listen to for two hours.

The trailer doesn't promise much if that's the greatest hits, but I'd watch it just for Dan Stevens who can do no wrong in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Agreed - the Eurovision is beyond satire or being pocked fun at. If they were going to make a movie about it they should have gone the opposite direction and made it ultra sincere. However, perhaps most American viewers aren't that familiar with it

As another hardcore ESC fan, (I think it might have something to to do with my parents watching Gigliola Cinquetti win in 1964 outside a TV store on Patrick St in Cork while my mum was pregnant with me) I have huge reservations about letting Americans within an asses roar of the contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I want to see a version where America is invited and we follow Christian Bale playing Bob Dylan. Wanting to be the first person to win Grammy, Oscar, Nobel Prize AND Eurovision. The whole movie is played deadpan about his serious work on trying to write a song that unites the world.... EVEN Trump America :) ** only for the very last scene to be him arriving at the contest and seeing what it is. Seeing him turn to the cameraman and go "What the fu......." Crash cut to black screen where a title card fades in:

America came 3rd after Greece with "La la la la everyone loves, let's go" and Ukraine's "I am fire lion. Hear me roar". The Whitehouse has stated that they will no longer fund the failing Eurovision Song Contest.

** We all know that this is pointless as Bill and Ted have already written/will write this...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,754 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The accents were dodgy, the songs were cheesy (some good ones though if you like Eurovision). But it had heart, some good jokes, Ferrell and McAdams are great together, was good craic and I enjoyed every minute of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

We watched it last night too. I found it a bit dull for the first 30 mins but it picked up and I really enjoyed it by the end. McAdams was excellent and was used well. Dan Stevens was very good too, and Will Ferrell wasn’t too OTT. Definitely worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I really enjoyed it. Liked the song along and Ja Ja Ding Dong in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Will Ferral deserves to be shot with a cannon full of his own shyte, about as funny (to me) as childhood cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The accents were dodgy, the songs were cheesy (some good ones though if you like Eurovision). But it had heart, some good jokes, Ferrell and McAdams are great together, was good craic and I enjoyed every minute of it :D

I think you summed it up perfectly.

Not a film to be taken seriously. It's harmless and easy viewing with a decent number of laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Darc19 wrote: »
    I think you summed it up perfectly.

Not a film to be taken seriously. It's harmless and easy viewing with a decent number of laughs
    I am a huge eurovision song contest fan. It's kind of beyond parody.

It was silly fun I enjoyed it but it was far too long. Not exactly a laugh riot by any means but quite a few giggles. Geography of Europe was not a strong point... Dan Stevens and Rachel McAdams (Molly Sanden what a voice) were both excellent I thought.
    Some of the songs were spot on tbh, I thought running with the wolves was a bit of a tune lol.
    Would have loved a full version of volcano man!
    Sweden would come up with something better in real life though :).

I will say it was hugely distracting as half the cast were in trapped (which is excellent).
    6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

What films was Will Ferrell genuinely funny in...?

Anchorman
    Wedding Crashers
    And really funny in Old School.

Is that about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Anchorman
    Wedding Crashers

Is that about it?
    Elf
    Zoolander
    Blades of Glory

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

gmisk wrote: »
    Elf
    Zoolander
    Blades of Glory

The Other Guys is brilliant.

It had potential but it was really poor, second half was a bit of improvement and seemed to be where more of the proper laughs were.

Brosnan, and Dan Stevens were brilliant.

Rachel McAdams is just gorgeous.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Will Ferrell is a talented funny guy but I think prone to laziness, for want of a better word. Like a lot of super popular Hollywood comedy stars he has a schtick and sometimes ploughs it into the ground; there's a lot of stuff I've watched that just feels like he's in second gear, giving the script just enough to get a chuckle or two. I always thought The Other Guys was that second gear, compared with something like Anchorman.

I don't blame Ferrell for this I might add, just feels part of mainstream Hollywood comedy. There's a style that's bank, and the studios knock it out without necessarily putting on constraints or asking much of its stars. Melissa McCarthy made a career out of never getting out of that second gear or trying too hard. Both comedians also showing great depth when given the latitude to star in more dramedy or full drama vehicles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Elf
    Zoolander
    Blades of Glory

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

Anchorman
    Wedding Crashers

Is that about it?
    eh, old school , Frank the Tank

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Elf
    Zoolander
    Blades of Glory

I think Step Brothers and Talladega Nights are good too. I think he starts getting lazy then. The other guys and The Campaign have moments but not as good as the mid to late 00s stuff and then it's a lot of meh to crap stuff after that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I enjoyed it a lot too. A bit slow at the start but got going after the wheel incident. McAdams in particular was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought the movie was nearly over when the voting came in. Then I realised it was only the semi finals!!
    Enjoyable movie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Went in with really low expectations and must admit I enjoyed it. Maybe a bit long but there are a few laughs in there. A big cheese-fest as expected given the subject matter. At one point I feared they were going to directly/completely rip off the Fr. Ted episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

theteal wrote: »
    Went in with really low expectations and must admit I enjoyed it. Maybe a bit long but there are a few laughs in there. A big cheese-fest as expected given the subject matter. At one point I feared they were going to directly/completely rip off the Fr. Ted episode

I had exactly the same fear when the bank guy was talking early on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Beersmith

eh, old school , Frank the Tank

Eh they said old school

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Overall, daftly enjoyable in a similar sense to Eurovision itself, though personally I think it would have benefitted from losing around 30 mins and ditching the accents.

Dan Stevens was an unexpected MVP - he's great in Legion but he put in a completely different (yet hugely entertaining) turn here. I was also pleasantly surprised at the pop song medley actually being pretty decent, as well as a couple of the faux competition songs (in a cheesy Eurovision way).

For context, I would say I only really rate Ferrell in the likes of Elf or Zoolander - I found Talladega Nights and Blades Of Glory way too dragged out with frequent stretches of "yes, I see what you're doing, but it's not funny and neither are the fifteen variations on the same joke that you've decided to do".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I enjoyed it, not overly funny it had its moments. Pretty harmless film. Cheesy music, exactly what you want from Eurovision. Nice to see a few familiar Eurovision faces making an appearance

Advertisement