Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Perfect Saturday afternoon film?

Options
  • 27-06-2020 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭

So what is your perfect Saturday/Sunday afternoon movie to watch when chilling at home?
    It's gotta be Jurassic Park....what a cracker of a film it has aged insanely well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

gmisk wrote: »
    So what is your perfect Saturday/Sunday afternoon movie to watch when chilling at home?
    It's gotta be Jurassic Park....what a cracker of a film it has aged insanely well

Any Disney film, or 80s classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All know it's Where Eagles Dare! or Kelly's Heroes or Escape to Victory.

The Bridge on the River Kwai. In fact, any of Lean's epics could qualify.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The Great Escape

Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back

Dr. Zhivago

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

A Back to the Future / Goonies double header. Cannot bloody wait til my kids are old enough to watch them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

With sport off weekend afternoons seem to be taken up by epics. Alas, I've not actually sat down and stayed glued to any, though I should.

A few weeks ago I missed Empire of the Sun and wasn't aware it features a young Christian Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

• Registered Users Posts: 18,905 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Where Eagles Dare.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,730 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

any Connery or Moore Bond movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Ice Station Zebra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Zulu

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The Longest Day

I would like Hanks and Speilberg to remake that shot for shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Fellowship of the Ring for sure.

It's aged so incredibly well, the effects area great and the acting is superb. Can happily just pop it on and enjoy it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

One of those early/mid 1970s disaster flicks that were big in vogue at the time - like Towering Inferno, Earthquake or The Posiedon Adventure.

Jaws (the 1975 original) on a Sunday evening. Or Escape To Victory, The Getaway, Coma, The Andromeda Strain, one of the Pink Panther films...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Who can forget Lisolette's fall to her death in 1974's The Towering Inferno?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Any of the shreks

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Has to be a classic war movie - Tora! Tora! Tora!, The Great Escape or The Dambusters.

Mosquito Squadron, Battle of Britain

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Cool runnings

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭maccydoodies

Labyrinth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Forest Gump

Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

If you mean a family show, it's got to be Willy Wonka, the Gene Wilder version. Great story, great tunes, great gags.
    If you're talking about an older audience (but no profanity/blood/gun fights), my favourites would be: A Few Good Men, The Fugitive or In The Line Of Fire. Great plot, great script, great acting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

War horse, Avatar or Men in Black

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Anything with Doug McClure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Laurence of Arabia. Although I've never actually seen the whole thing. I'm going to watch all of it some day soon, or maybe split it in two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

It seemed a legal requirement to put on 633 Squadron on a Saturday afternoon a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Try 'The Blue Max'.

Epic WW1 air drama, filmed in Ireland in 1965, starring James Mason, George Peppard and Ursula Andress.

It features real action flying of replica WW1 aircraft and was one of four 'flying films' made in Ireland between 1965 and 1970, where the Irish Army Air Corps provided pilots and technical support. All done without CGI, including the much acclaimed flight scene where civilian film pilot Derek Piggott flew under the narrow span of a railway viaduct bridge in Fermoy, with just four feet of clearance on each wing side.

The era of the Irish Flying Flims came to a tragic end following some fatal accidents including in August 1970 when five people were killed in a mid air crash over Wicklow Harbour when a filming helicopter and a replica WWI aircraft collided while undertaking a sequence for the film 'Zeppelin' - 50 years ago,next month.

https://wicklownews.net/2020/05/cllr-paul-obrien-is-looking-for-your-help/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n809LrgLldM
    http://www.cowshedmedia.ie/the-flying-films

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I like those "nice" films are what I look for. Examples being The Dish, Eddie free Eagle, the fastest little Indian. Basically good stories well told, I'm not looking for deep thinkers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Back to the future trilogy.

Advertisement