Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Housing solution

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

I wouldn't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Lyan

Knowing the government and politicians, the apartments would likely be considered below standards of regulation and shut down after moving everyone in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No doubt the people on the list would turn down the accommodation for good reasons like no space for trampoline.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Good idea, until all the sh!t and the rubbish clogs up the liffey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

And then sink it.

• Advertisement

Your Face wrote: »
    And then sink it.

Rent increase - who here wouldn’t pay extra to live under the sea?

Rent increase - who here wouldn’t pay extra to live under the sea?

Can it please be next to the octopuses garden.

Kylta wrote: »
    Can it please be next to the octopuses garden.

Yes, but you know what they say - ‘location, location, location’. Proximity to the octopuses garden will push the rent up further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Personal responsibility would be a good place to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Why can't we build a whopper sky scraper in Dublin, Cork and Galway. 100 storeys tall.
    Apartments in them will be available to all with rent payable calculated with an open transparent formula.

They will be available for homeless, for brain surgeons, for students or for tech workers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Does nobody else think living on a cruise ship could be cool?

Yes, but you know what they say - ‘location, location, location’. Proximity to the octopuses garden will push the rent up further.

I suppose if they scuttled the yellow submarine I could live in that, and maybe iciuld seduce a few octopus to play in my new plastic garden. I could collect all the plastic the cruise dwellers dump in the water
    And make an entrance gate out plastic pepsi max bottles, and I could charge fish and folks into it. Hey I could be the first underwater entrepreneur. I think I just lost the run of myself there

Kylta wrote: »
    I suppose if they scuttled the yellow submarine I could live in that, and maybe iciuld seduce a few octopus to play in my new plastic garden. I could collect all the plastic the cruise dwellers dump in the water
    And make an entrance gate out plastic pepsi max bottles, and I could charge fish and folks into it. Hey I could be the first underwater entrepreneur. I think I just lost the run of myself there

I think Mr. Krabs would argue that he was the first underground entrepreneur. The rest seems okay.

At long last a thread about housing that hasn't been done before!! Well done OP! I think your idea is utterly daft but your thread is great

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Notmything

We could even put the least desirable elements of society on it and let it sail off into the sunset.

Housed and a free holiday, how could they complain.

I hear the Irish navy needs target practice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I've a better idea, get the Torys and their new friends to build more houses, can't believe no one thought of this before, I'll accept my medal and cake in Miggledys house after the covid has died down, thank you so much for your nice words

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭endacl

RWCNT wrote: »
    Does nobody else think living on a cruise ship could be cool?

No. I've been on a cruise ship. Grand for a week, but the rooms aren't that big. It'd basically be shared accomodation with thousands. Most of the rooms wouldn't even have a window. Fcuk that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a free society, 'cept there ain't nothing free cos there's no guarantees, you know? You're on your own, it's the law of the jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭worded

Will there be a duty free shop on board?

If so I’m in, take my money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Governments have no interest in solving the housing problem, it would cause values to drop and many people who are a lot more influential than the homeless would be very unhappy with that.
    What ever happened to the modular house idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,174 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I posted half jokingly, but I wasn't thinking of dumping homeless people, I was thinking of running two or three cabins together into an apartment, making them desirable with ready social areas, gyms, shops etc. Those enormous cruise ships are built like blocks of flats anyway with windows and balconies.

looksee wrote: »
    I have just solved Dublin's housing problem. There are reports of cruise ships - vast floating blocks of apartments/hotels - being scrapped as there is no sale for cruise ships in the current climate.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cruise-industry-downsizing-begins-with-first-sale-of-a-ship-for-scrap.

One cruise ship - couple of thousand apartments - in Dublin Docklands it would look very much part of the scenery!

Hmmmmm. Is it next to mammy? Or mammys grave? Is there room for a trampoline or a pony? If not, then I’ll stay in this B&B until I get what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I have just solved Dublin's housing problem. There are reports of cruise ships - vast floating blocks of apartments/hotels - being scrapped as there is no sale for cruise ships in the current climate.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/cruise-industry-downsizing-begins-with-first-sale-of-a-ship-for-scrap.

One cruise ship - couple of thousand apartments - in Dublin Docklands it would look very much part of the scenery!

Kitchens?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Seasickness tabs on the menu. But I like that idea. The Greenies might come on board (ha ha) in order to reduce the environmental impact of cruise ships traversing the globe too. And help solve the homeless issue at the same time.

Where will they berth though? God forbid it would be anywhere near certain places. Wink!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

They can all get ****ed man I’ll tell ya.

5 to 1, baby. One in 5..

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Notmything wrote: »
    We could even put the least desirable elements of society on it and let it sail off into the sunset.

Housed and a free holiday, how could they complain.

I hear the Irish navy needs target practice

Call it the Fletcher Memorial Ship

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I posted half jokingly, but I wasn't thinking of dumping homeless people, I was thinking of running two or three cabins together into an apartment, making them desirable with ready social areas, gyms, shops etc. Those enormous cruise ships are built like blocks of flats anyway with windows and balconies.

Use the cruise ships for holiday lets. Let city residents live in the apartments that were being used for Air BnB.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Chinasea wrote: »
    Personal responsibility would be a good place to start.

You think someone who cant afford accommodation is
    not a person capable of being responsible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

endacl wrote: »
    No. I've been on a cruise ship. Grand for a week, but the rooms aren't that big. It'd basically be shared accomodation with thousands. Most of the rooms wouldn't even have a window. Fcuk that.

Ditto! not to mention that the corridors between the rooms on either side are just wide enough for two polite people to pass! Two ignorant fcukers and you have a serious traffic jam;)

Advertisement