Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

You can fancy homemade ones up even more buy making them a little thinner and sandwiching 2 together on the day of eating with jam and or peanut butter and some banana slices !!!!! Om nom nom :pac: :pac: :pac:

I have a thing for PBBJ :D

Jesus...I'd be prone to that myself! Think I'll try one or two testers like that tonight.

That vase can be changed to by adding pretty much anything,raisins,dates and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

onlineweb wrote: »
    What section of road do you find unsettling?..
    The section of the R132 southbound between Blake's Cross and the old end of Turvey Avenue especially with a low sun shining on a wet road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Bit of a ripper last night. Got a nice bunch of semi domesticated animals out for 60km @35kph. I enjoyed it but Jesus, there was some serious pulling going on.
    "Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite"
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3670824749

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Went out for a nice 62km this morning including Malahide and Howth - Howth had a hat of fog/mist, which isn't unusual, but the easterly wind was blowing it across the bay and inland at Bayside, leading to unusual conditions:

https://youtu.be/VnnFJCKCwSo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Type 17 wrote: »
    Went out for a nice 62km this morning including Malahide and Howth - Howth had a hat of fog/mist, which isn't unusual, but the easterly wind was blowing it across the bay and inland at Bayside, leading to unusual conditions:

Looks like a scenic section (to one side)
    Nice to have a wall between walk/cycle-way and the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Yesterday evening I went out with the intention of a short, 30 min cycle. Ended up doing a 40 km, 1.5 hour cycle, presume this happens to often to everyone. Would have been longer if I didn't have a family at home.

A beautiful evening for a cycle, warm but not hot.

There's still many side roads close to me that I haven't every been down. It's always enjoyable to cycle a road you don't know.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/3670176932

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Is there a possibility that you are overly-sensitive or is there something about the way that you are cycling that is encouraging anti-cycling behaviour from motorists?

I'm not having a go at you - it's a genuine query but so many of your posts/threads are negative in nature. I cycle on averge about 400km per week, mostly in north Co Dublin and I rarely have close passes or altercations with motorists. There is one section of road I sometimes find a bit 'unsettling' but 99% of the time is cycling bliss.

Hi Wishbone.

I honestly don't think I'm being confrontational or deliberately trying to thwart traffic or annoy people.

I will take the lane when there is traffic on the other side to stop drivers squeezing by in the same lane as me. This is is when I might get beeped. Am I being selfish or am I wrong doing that? Any advice is appreciated.

Certain bus drivers and HGV drivers pull back in too early and the back of their vehicle comes close to my handlebars.

I fully admit I'm nervous as hell and it's worse after being squeezed a few days ago.
    Say no more about the R132. Lethal. Safe cycling. I'll give you a big wave if I see you :pac:

Hi Wishbone.

I honestly don't think I'm being confrontational or deliberately trying to thwart traffic or annoy people.

I will take the lane when there is traffic on the other side to stop drivers squeezing by in the same lane as me. This is is when I might get beeped. Am I being selfish or am I wrong doing that? Any advice is appreciated.

Certain bus drivers and HGV drivers pull back in too early and the back of their vehicle comes close to my handlebars.

I fully admit I'm nervous as hell and it's worse after being squeezed a few days ago.
    Say no more about the R132. Lethal. Safe cycling. I'll give you a big wave if I see you :pac:

I always take the road if the surface is not good on the inside or there is a danger of being squeezed. I'd rather be beeped at than be mince meat.

That being said, I do an awful lot of cycling on narrow country roads and I often wave on cars that are stuck behind me if I can see that the road ahead is clear. I often get a polite toot to say thanks you and I like to think I'm doing my bit for cyclist-driver relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Great, quality video. Where you using a Go Pro mounted to your helmet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

onlineweb wrote: »
    Great, quality video. Where you using a Go Pro mounted to your helmet?

No, just holding a phone with one hand - wouldn't dream of doing it on a road, or if there were more people on the pathway, but it was a quiet segment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

No, just holding a phone with one hand - wouldn't dream of doing it on a road, or if there were more people on the pathway, but it was a quiet segment.

Cool, makes me want to get a Go-Pro and record my cycling trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭.red.

I got a fright when you turned the camera to the left, I thought you were gone over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

82km today.

There was some heavy fog around Clontarf this morning.

My feet are in bits this evening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

went out over howth a couple of times. a weird wannabe squall blew up at one point, wind shifted very quickly (from SSW to SE) and built up a good bit of speed.
    i decided to go up the scenic route first while my legs were fresh and see how i'd fare on the TT segment, and posted my slowest time on it yet.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Legs were tired yesterday and today (did a 5k run on Wed am and almost 80km spin that evening and I'm still aching :().
    Crappy day working from home so hopped on this evening and went out for about 60km.
    Several close passes with one of them the driver flashed his hazards after to acknowledge it or something. I soon caught up with him as he was caught in traffic at a t-junction :rolleyes: and he apologised and acknowledged his mistake. I told him to go easy and it was a non aggressive end to it. Thankfully there was none of the usual "you're blocking the road" crap as I really wasn't up to it.

https://strava.app.link/mOFZfx0LD7

Does anyone know what average power means and Watts? Like my Watts are usually around 120? Is that good or bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Took a day off yesterday, for the last of the fine weather. Left my COVID hidey-hole near Laragh, and headed south to the sun. Rathdrum, Avoca, Wooden-bridge, then some savage ramp off to the right plus some real backroads to Coolgreany. Down through Camolin and almost into Ferns, which was avoided via one of the worst-surfaced boreens I've ever been one.

Hit the coast near Ballygarrett, headed up to Courttown. Swung by Revolve bike shop in Gorey, who gave me a bit of free advice on my bottom bracket, which I was being paranoid about. Out to Ballymoney and around the 'other' Tara Hill and up to Arklow. Home stretch along Brittas Bay (jammed!! on a Thursday!), Beehive and Deputy's pass. 155 overall, easy enough for a ride of that length.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/208139334

Tip: index your front derailleur before you leave the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,575 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Omega28 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what average power means and Watts? Like my Watts are usually around 120? Is that good or bad?

just an estimate of your horsepower. 120 is quite respectable

Respectable indeed. Google what pros average over 4 hours, then what they do in a sprint, then what those who run or swim at top levels output !!!!! Eye watering numbers.

I'm getting some insane wattage numbers and I'm not sure what my 120 Watts actually means now and if that's decent for an average rider or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

brownian wrote: »
    Took a day off yesterday, for the last of the fine weather. Left my COVID hidey-hole near Laragh, and headed south to the sun. Rathdrum, Avoca, Wooden-bridge, then some savage ramp off to the right plus some real backroads to Coolgreany. Down through Camolin and almost into Ferns, which was avoided via one of the worst-surfaced boreens I've ever been one.

Hit the coast near Ballygarrett, headed up to Courttown. Swung by Revolve bike shop in Gorey, who gave me a bit of free advice on my bottom bracket, which I was being paranoid about. Out to Ballymoney and around the 'other' Tara Hill and up to Arklow. Home stretch along Brittas Bay (jammed!! on a Thursday!), Beehive and Deputy's pass. 155 overall, easy enough for a ride of that length.

Im very familiar with your route , the road from Ferns to The Harrow, Boolavogue is a draggy one and then on to Ballyedmund, when you headed over towards Ballygarrett you cycled to a
    T junction and a left turn onto the Killenagh to Kilmuckridge road , you thrn cycled right past my house before turning right for Ballygarrett. All those back roads are heavy surfaces. Same with the coast road around Tara hill to Arklow, they remind me of the lakes spin in Blessington! That was a decent spin you did, i still use that Red Hoy jacket i bought off you, still decent in nick and comfortable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

brownian wrote: »

Please see

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056740609/117

Anyone else have problems with a serious lag in this thread, regular occurrence with me :(

Still there, can't see last 10 hrs of posts ! Happens fairly often :(

Fixed now !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cycled with the young lad yesterday from South Dublin to Ballygarret Wexford to his girlfriends house. I went as far as Gorey and got train home, while he did the extra 13kms.. 82km for me, 95 for him. Tough in the southerly breeze/wind. Probably should have gone inland after Wicklow instead of Brittas Bay route.
    Started off in very hot sunshine and finished in gilet and arm warmers.
    Train home was a nice bit of luxury at the end and only 10 euro!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out on a club spin this morning. Played a chance of the rain being as forecasted (e.g. 0.3mm per hour) so was just in a jersey (left my rain gear at home).
    The intention was to head to Tara but the weather turned (and it turned bad!) so we turned towards home.
    Got drenched with the lashing rain.
    I actually lost count if the number of cars that overtook the group with oncoming traffic. :rolleyes:

Must get myself a lightweight rain jacket though!
    https://strava.app.link/6W8DzrrZE7

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

2 hours at 3.5watts per kilo and absolutely dead . Trying to gauge what I can hold for a half Ironman power wise.
    Ftp is 4w/kilo
    I've done 1 hour rides holding 4
    2 hour ride today was first try and managed 3.5
    Is there any way to guesstimate w/kg you can hold for a 3 hour ride based off FTP?
    I've never ridden 3 hours TT and I don't fancy it .
    I'm guessing around 3w/kilo for 3 hours based off 1 to 2 hour drop off . Anyone any experience of that ? Thanks

2 hours at 3.5watts per kilo and absolutely dead . Trying to gauge what I can hold for a half Ironman power wise.
    Ftp is 4w/kilo
    I've done 1 hour rides holding 4
    2 hour ride today was first try and managed 3.5
    Is there any way to guesstimate w/kg you can hold for a 3 hour ride based off FTP?
    I've never ridden 3 hours TT and I don't fancy it .
    I'm guessing around 3w/kilo for 3 hours based off 1 to 2 hour drop off . Anyone any experience of that ? Thanks

85km today and my Watts are improving

Can anyone explain the whole Watts and FTP to me in layman's terms?

Is 129 Watts decent? Does it show anything about my fitness?

• Advertisement

Omega28 wrote: »
    85km today and my Watts are improving

Can anyone explain the whole Watts and FTP to me in layman's terms?

Is 129 Watts decent? Does it show anything about my fitness?

FTP is the max watts you can push for an hour. Watts are power your pushing through the pedals. Watts are meaningless without rider weight as heavier rides can push higher watts.
    Watts per kilo are more relevant , divide your watts by your wright in kilo's.

129 watts , some people will be happy with that some not so , its only relevant to yourself. Just try improve against your previous best. Everyones opinion on whether its decent will vary. There are scales somewhere which show how you compare to pro riders and recreational riders based on watts per kilo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement