Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Thanks. I might check Adverts and see if there's any sneaky bargains

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Omega28 wrote: »
    Thanks. I might check Adverts and see if there's any sneaky bargains
    Before you buy used check the likes of bike24, CRC, CSS and so on for new ones as you may get a bargain.
    I've a Garmin Edge 520 Plus which I picked up from CSS under some deal they had a while back.

The Wahoo element bolt is £185 on Amazon.

I’ve had mine for a year now and it is superb. It’s worth getting the cadence and speed sensors as well.

85km today

Not very fast but I've only been doing this since the start of Lockdown

Nothing wrong with 85k at that speed. Any day you get out for three hours plus on the bike is a good day. Fair play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,600 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

especially as a lot of that spin is in built up areas, the stop/start nature of the traffic and lights will obviously lower your average.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Tues morning, looked at the forecast which said dryish, but when I looked out it was wet. At this stage, I was in the gear , so stuck on the Galibier Tourmalet. It stayed on for the duration. 62km around the North County, followed by 74km yesterday. All enjoyable, especially yesterday before it got really hot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Tony04 wrote: »
    Online is your best bet wahoo element bolt is usually around 220 garmin edge 520 200ish edge 530 250ish. I wouldnt go for anything cheaper as the features arent as good. You can get bundles that include speed sensor cadence sensor and heart rate monitor for around 300. If your lucky someone on here might have one knocking around if you want to save a fair chunk but the battery mightnt be as good as buying new.

A Garmin 130 is a great option. I just moved from a Garmin 500 to this, and it is brilliant, tonnes of features and a low price at just under 120:

https://www.halfords.ie/cycling-technology/cycle-computer-gps/garmin-edge-130-gps-cycling-computer-646613.html

Can't go wrong imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

83km in the bag today

I dunno what I'm doing wrong but I don't think I'm fuelling right. I bring a banana and apple with me but my legs are gone after 40km even with the apple and banana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

I went out again today after nearly being knocked down. I got nervous but I'm not letting some piss artist discourage me from cycling.

At the potential pinch points I dismounted and walked on the footpath. It's utterly unacceptable that I'm reduced to doing that.

I will build up my confidence again. There are some lethal parts around the North County Dublin.

I hope to hear back about a near miss that I reported recently. I want to make an example of them.

83km in the bag today

I dunno what I'm doing wrong but I don't think I'm fuelling right. I bring a banana and apple with me but my legs are gone after 40km even with the apple and banana

I can't do gels or even the drinks they just make my stomach sail and the texture of the gels triggers my gag reflex. Bananas, jam sandwiches (sometimes with peanut butter too, yum) or rice cakes. Cereal bars my partner makes for the kids are good too, cheap to make and you can vary what you put in them.

This time of year I take a bottle of water and a ribena one or similar sugary cordial. Again this time of year you can bet your arse I'll be stopping for an ice-cream :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

50km ride on the single speed bike to pick up some paint. Had a huge smile as I cycled past all the traffic on the road. Out and back in 2 hours. Clontarf - portmarnock - malahide - swords and back.

83km in the bag today

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. I did 80k last Friday and my quads were shot after 50k. You probably don't have the miles in the legs just yet but it will come. Maybe replace the apple with some chocolate or cereal bars. Make sure you have eaten well beforehand and then graze during the ride, and make sure to eat before you start to feel hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

83km in the bag today

Are you cycling distances like that every day? if so you would be absolutely shot you need to rest or take it easy at least one day a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

83km in the bag today

Lash a can of Coke into you when the legs are gone. - Can't beat it for the mid-spin giddy-up!!!

Edit - if you're new at this game and averaging like 20-25kph then 40k is knocking on the door of 2 hours cycling. You definitely wanna be eating something more substantial at that point or before it IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Out from dublin 8, up ballinascorney, kilbride camp, kippure estate, sally gap and back via glencree and the featherbeds. I forgot how much I hated that road from the Kippure estate to Sally gap - crap surface, up and down and hard to get in a rhythm, wind always in your face - and now Wicklow coco have put chips down on a large stretch of it. So another reason to avoid, especially if descending from the other direction.

Apart from that, lovely evening out, apart from the flies. Going less than 15kmph up a hill, I had a halo of them buzzing around annoying me the whole way.

57k, 2h20m, 932 up

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

retalivity wrote: »
    that road from the Kippure estate to Sally gap - crap surface, up and down and hard to get in a rhythm, wind always in your face - and now Wicklow coco have put chips down on a large stretch of it. So another reason to avoid, especially if descending from the other direction.

57k, 2h20m, 932 up

It wrecks my head the way they dress the roads in that way. It'll be a few more weeks before they remove the excess chips and even then the new surface will be as rough as fcuk on a road bike. I'm sure there's a good reason for that type of surface but I'm not a fan of it.

Different county but in stark contrast, the N81 at the Embankment climb has been resurfaced (work due to finish tomorrow) and it's like a snooker table.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

crosstownk wrote: »
    ... I'm sure there's a good reason for that type of surface but I'm not a fan of it....
    Much cheaper than Tarmacadam.

fat bloke wrote: »
    Lash a can of Coke into you when the legs are gone....
    This 100%.

Can of full fat coke and a pack of fruit pastilles.

Forget about fancy gels - they are just a marketing thing to relieve fools of their money. (...well, ok maybe they just upset my stomach).

This 100%.

Forget about fancy gels - they are just a marketing thing to relieve fools of their money. (...well, ok maybe they just upset my stomach).

FFS do they still make them? I was more of a Fruit Gums man myself though that feeling of not chewing one enough before swallowing !!!!!! I'm going to invest in a packet of both tomorrow as I've not had the pleasure of either in years!!!!!!!!

This 100%.

I always swore by the Clif bars, but recently (mainly because I’m finding them harder to get hold of) I’ve been taking belvita bars. They are about a fifth of the price and seem to keep me going just as well.

• Advertisement

I went out again today after nearly being knocked down. I got nervous but I'm not letting some piss artist discourage me from cycling.

At the potential pinch points I dismounted and walked on the footpath. It's utterly unacceptable that I'm reduced to doing that.

I will build up my confidence again. There are some lethal parts around the North County Dublin.

I hope to hear back about a near miss that I reported recently. I want to make an example of them.
    Is there a possibility that you are overly-sensitive or is there something about the way that you are cycling that is encouraging anti-cycling behaviour from motorists?

I'm not having a go at you - it's a genuine query but so many of your posts/threads are negative in nature. I cycle on averge about 400km per week, mostly in north Co Dublin and I rarely have close passes or altercations with motorists. There is one section of road I sometimes find a bit 'unsettling' but 99% of the time is cycling bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,662 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Aegir wrote: »
    I always swore by the Clif bars, but recently (mainly because I’m finding them harder to get hold of) I’ve been taking belvita bars. They are about a fifth of the price and seem to keep me going just as well.

Make your own bars/ oat cookies, far more economical. There is plenty receipes about that take minimal effort.

I make these every Friday night, double up the ingredients makes around 12. I add some whey for a little flavour, each has around 21gms carb.

https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/banana-oat-cookies/

FFS do they still make them?...
    Indeed they do. Had a pack today with a Wispa and a can of full fat Coke.

This Google review is puzzling. Must have been written by some weirdo. How can 2125 of calories/sugar not be good? I'd love to see the writer getting through a long ride in Wicklow on lettuce.
    Are Fruit Pastilles good for you?
    No, your Fruit Pastilles habit will not lead to glowing health. Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles are flavoured with the concentrated juice of seven fruits, but the amount they contain is tiny. ... Those 11.5 tubes of Fruit Pastilles have no fibre and 2,125 calories – most of it sugar.

Are they still the same though???? Loved how they'd make you salivate like a dog if you just kept it in your mouth without chewing it.

dahat wrote: »
    Make your own bars/ oat cookies, far more economical. There is plenty receipes about that take minimal effort.

I make these every Friday night, double up the ingredients makes around 12. I add some whey for a little flavour, each has around 21gms carb.

https://www.kitchensanctuary.com/banana-oat-cookies/

You can fancy homemade ones up even more buy making them a little thinner and sandwiching 2 together on the day of eating with jam and or peanut butter and some banana slices !!!!! Om nom nom :pac: :pac: :pac:

I have a thing for PBBJ :D

Are they still the same though???? Loved how they'd make you salivate like a dog if you just kept it in your mouth without chewing it.
    Was that not Opal Fruits? "Made to make your mouth water"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Fruit Pastilles. Still as tasty as ever. €1.50 for a pack of three in SuperValu last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Was that not Opal Fruits? "Made to make your mouth water"

They were made to make your mouth water, but gotta chew, gotta chew is pastilles

https://youtu.be/bMpXqco7Zck

Aegir wrote: »
    I always swore by the Clif bars...
    I always swear at them. Vile product - feels like hardened chunks of vomit
    dahat wrote: »

I make these every Friday night..
    Feck that. One, I can't cook and two, the last thing I'd want to do on a Friday night is try to cook. No receipe takes minimal effort. I'm at my limit doing beans on toast. #can't cook/won't cook

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

Is there a possibility that you are overly-sensitive or is there something about the way that you are cycling that is encouraging anti-cycling behaviour from motorists?

I'm not having a go at you - it's a genuine query, but so many of your posts/threads are negative in nature. I cycle on averge about 400km per week, mostly in north Co Dublin and I rarely have close passes or altercations with motorists. There is one section of road I sometimes find a bit 'unsettling' but 99% of the time is cycling bliss.

What section of road do you find unsettling?

I think the road to Newbridge House in Donabate can be a intimidating especially with aggressive drivers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement