Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,982 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You clearly can't offer a definition, as you've dodged multiple times at time point, in favor making wildly inaccurate claims.

If you earnestly need a definition google it. It’s common knowledge. What have I said that confused you about the term? Please explain so maybe I can help

It's pedantic deflection to ask you why you think it was murder, when so many others don't think it was?

He’s charged with felony murder isn’t he?

If you read the thread, you know everything I had to say about the nit and grit so why bother repeating myself?

Overheal wrote: »
    He’s charged with felony murder isn’t he?

If you read the thread, you know everything I had to say about the nit and grit so why bother repeating myself?

For someone who doesn't like to repeat themselves, it's remarkable you've racked up 322 posts in this thread with all of them having unique content.

You know I'm not a troll so it would be easier to explain it to me again. We both know how threads work. I'm not going back to find your exact reasoning for why you think he was murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

If you earnestly need a definition google it. It’s common knowledge. What have I said that confused you about the term? Please explain so maybe I can help

You dodge and dodge, because you know you can't provide one. You just want to be able to throw the term around as means to push a message of divisiveness.

You dodge and dodge, because you know you can't provide one. You just want to be able to throw the term around as means to push a message of divisiveness.

So you’re suggesting no definition exists for the term People of Color?

Seems far fetched.

• Advertisement

For someone who doesn't like to repeat themselves, it's remarkable you've racked up 322 posts in this thread with all of them having unique content.

You know I'm not a troll so it would be easier to explain it to me again. We both know how threads work. I'm not going back to find your exact reasoning for why you think he was murdered.

QED: if you can narrow it down to 322 posts that’s not too much trouble to read. I’m willing to bet you can narrow it further still to find my reasoning.

Suffice to say that the officer is behind bars for felony murder charges. That you choose not to believe it was murder in spite of all indication to the contrary, that’s just not something that interests me greatly, it certainly doesn’t inspire me to re-illustrate the matter for you personally.

QED: if you can narrow it down to 322 posts that’s not too much trouble to read. I’m willing to bet you can narrow it further still to find my reasoning.

Suffice to say that the officer is behind bars for felony murder charges. That you choose not to believe it was murder in spite of all indication to the contrary, that’s just not something that interests me greatly, it certainly doesn’t inspire me to re-illustrate the matter for you personally.

I don't think I've ever come across someone who bases their opinion of someone's guilt on the fact they've been charged with something.

Do you think it was murder because he was running away? For so many posts, it's bizarre you have such little interest in discussing this.

So you’re suggesting no definition exists for the term People of Color?

Seems far fetched.

No definition that stands up to the slightest bit of scrutiny

No definition that stands up to the slightest bit of scrutiny

How’s that?

How’s that?

Exactly how it is, hence you're refusal to define it.

• Advertisement

Exactly how it is, hence you're refusal to define it.

No clearly you are beating far around the bush to make some point so just make it or stop wasting everyone’s time.

No clearly you are beating far around the bush to make some point so just make it or stop wasting everyone’s time.

I made my point. You throw out the POC term to bolster your argument, but asked to define what that means, you refuse. You can't produce one, as it's a nonsense term.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

PoC is a little nebulous, in that depending on who you talk to, it can include white hispanics. So it's either a way of saying "Non-whites", or it's saying "non-whites-not-directly-descended-from-Europeans-without-swinging-by-Central-or-south-America-first"

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/09/803809670/why-labeling-antonio-banderas-a-person-of-color-triggers-such-a-backlash

GreeBo wrote: »
    Hang on though the taser was either a life threatening situation that needed deadly force or it wasn't, you can't have it both ways!

If there was no imminent threat to life, why shoot at him 3 times?!

Life, limb, or eyesight is generally sufficient.

PoC is a little nebulous, in that depending on who you talk to, it can include white hispanics. So it's either a way of saying "Non-whites", or it's saying "non-whites-not-directly-descended-from-Europeans-without-swinging-by-Central-or-south-America-first"

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/09/803809670/why-labeling-antonio-banderas-a-person-of-color-triggers-such-a-backlash

Life, limb, or eyesight is generally sufficient.

What's a non white then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

What's a non white then?

I think it's BAME this side of the pond.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i posted a while back about the police code of conduct changing the definition of a lethal weapon. turns out it was changed after the shooting of Rayshard, so a taser is no longer considered a lethal weapon.

at the very least, this case should be pretty groundbreaking.

all can acknowledge it was a tragedy. however the only point that is (should be) relevant; was the officer justified given the circumstances and the code of conduct at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I was aware of the generic child abuse charges but not felony battery. Seems as the thread lingers the rap sheet of a dead man keeps getting longer to justify why he needed to be murdered

His rap sheet is the same length it was before he was neutralised.

His rap sheet is the same length it was before he was neutralised.

It gets more colorful every time it’s mentioned.

First it was “tortured” his kids. Then that was rubbished and now we’re crept back to “beating his kids” without clear evidence the abuse charge was for, example, brutality and not nutritional neglect, which is one way the charge will stick to a defendant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

First it was “tortured” his kids. Then that was rubbished and now we’re crept back to “beating his kids” without clear evidence the abuse charge was for, example, brutality and not nutritional neglect, which is one way the charge will stick to a defendant.

Either way he wasn't a very good father was he....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I was the only person in this whole thread who used the word torture and I have already said I was incorrect to use that language. And I have consistently said that Brooks wasn't shot for things he did in his past, I said he was shot for what he did on the night he was shot, namely DUI, resist arrest, assault two cops, steal a police issue taser and shoot it at one of the cops.

Brooks' rap sheet is immaterial. It was his actions on the night that got him shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,523 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Danzy wrote: »
    Honest?

Though we all have seen it in Lethal weapon and that was against a trained mercenary, which Brooks was not.

I've seen a lad 5ft 6", high on something, a whippet have 3 bouncers struggle to take him out of a bar, they both were Judo purples and 1 played rugby for UCC at the time.

Laurence expand your horizons man outside of the internet.

No purple belt in judo.

Either way he wasn't a very good father was he....

That’s not a death sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

That’s not a death sentence.

Stealing a taser and firing at the cops was, dont forget that part

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Stealing a taser and firing at the cops was, dont forget that part

No, that’s not a capital offense.

Fundamentally I agree that it should be an offense, on statute, if it is to be the justified course of action for a police officer to dispense deadly force in response. However as things stand, stealing a taser and firing it at a cop isn’t a death sentence on the books, in a court of law, before a judge and jury, or as executed by a governor.

No, that’s not a capital offense.

Fundamentally I agree that it should be an offense, on statute, if it is to be the justified course of action for a police officer to dispense deadly force in response. However as things stand, stealing a taser and firing it at a cop isn’t a death sentence on the books, in a court of law, before a judge and jury, or as executed by a governor.

it's not a capital offence, it's just a stupid thing to do while armed cops are trying to put cuffs on you.
    Blame it on his stupidity not on bias against blacks

it's not a capital offence, it's just a stupid thing to do while armed cops are trying to put cuffs on you.
    Blame it on his stupidity not on bias against blacks

It’s definitely stupid to do, and is a felony, and will net you time without parole, especially while on parole. But killing him was not the appropriate escalation and that was certainly not the moment to open fire, as evidenced by a shot hitting an occupied passenger car.

It’s definitely stupid to do, and is a felony, and will net you time without parole, especially while on parole. But killing him was not the appropriate escalation and that was certainly not the moment to open fire, as evidenced by a shot hitting an occupied passenger car.

He took his chances when he had none.

I see no bias for black people here, only an idiot being the cause of his own dead. A good lesson to learn from everybody about taking responsibility of their own actions at all times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

He took his chances when he had none.

I see no bias for black people here, only an idiot being the cause of his own dead. A good lesson to learn from everybody about taking responsibility of their own actions at all times

Yeah he taught him a good lesson eh?

I think you will find the only lesson being learned is by the police who are now under intense political pressure.

I think you will find the only lesson being learned is by the police who are now under intense political pressure.

He could still be alive, he signed his own death sentence by being an idiot. No one is to blame here other than himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He wasn't taught a lesson.

He made a him or the other guy situation and he died.

No lesson there.

Advertisement