Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Tipperary one sold out in a few minutes. I'd like to do the American tasting but the Dingle deconstruction tasting is on the same day.

Blanton’s, Eagle Rare, Rebel Yell and Colonel E.H Taylor are some of the whiskeys being tasted.

Hogzy wrote:
    Waterford is back on sale now on Celtic Whiskey Shop. Buy it quick before it 'sells out'

From Mark Reyneire:

More Waterford will be on its way soon - we're bottling again next week. We’re told by distributors they has never been such demand for a new launch whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Cazale wrote: »
    From Mark Reyneire:

More Waterford will be on its way soon - we're bottling again next week. We’re told by distributors they has never been such demand for a new launch whisky.

Mine was delivered tonight.

Anyone else sign on to their Distilled whiskey festival? Haven't received anything but it's still a good while away (July)

For those interested in the Distilled festival here is what you get. 14 whiskeys and 1 cocktail.

A whiskey cocktail from Bar 1661

Nine ‘Festival Pours’ from:

WD O'Connell
    DWD
    Velvet Cap
    Roe & Co
    Tipperary
    Dublin Liberties
    Redbreast
    The Currach
    Talisker 

A choice of two whiskeys and a masterclass from one of the following:

4pm Masterclasses
    Hinch Whiskey
    Method and Madness
    Powers
    Glendalough
    Connemara
    Highland Park

A choice of two whiskeys and a masterclass from one of the following:

6pm Masterclasses
    Greenspot
    Dublin Liberties
    Lambay
    Roe & Co
    Bowmore
    Pearse Lyons
    Chocolate & Whiskey

A Festival Dream Dram which is a single cask and cask strength whisky from Highland Park.

3.00-3.40pm Drink it or keep it?
    4.00-4.40pm Masterclasses
    5.00-5.40pm Our imagined whiskey past: The invention of ‘authenticity’ in Irish whiskey. 
    6.00-6.40pm Masterclasses
    7.00-7.40pm Future of Irish Whiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Mine was delivered tonight.

Did you buy it from Celtic Whiskey Shop on Saturday evening when it was posted here?,i did and still no sign of it,Ardkeen stores had it in stock this evening and was sold out soon after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Signed up to American Whiskey tasting and whiskey festival...

On American Whiskey I recently picked up a bottle of Rittenhouse 100 Proof Rye, similar to bourbon, very very smooth despite being 50% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Did you buy it from Celtic Whiskey Shop on Saturday evening when it was posted here?,i did and still no sign of it,Ardkeen stores had it in stock this evening and was sold out soon after.

I haven’t got it either. I find them very slow shop/auction deliveries always so I’m not surprised at all.

Cazale wrote:
    The Currach

Anyone try this yet? It's whiskey finished in seaweed charred casks.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

Anyone try this yet? It's whiskey finished in seaweed charred casks.

I’ve seen it, haven’t tried it but I’m intrigued!

• Advertisement

Ordered from Celtic Whiskey Shop Saturday. No communication since and then a phone call at 6 to ask if I was home. Delivered by one of the guys from the shop at 7. In Dublin obviously.

So I opened the Ballykilcalvan and I'm very impressed. I'm not going to bull**** people with tasting notes but it's very much to my taste. Quite sweet on the nose and a light, sweetish taste too. (That's as far as I'm going to push my descriptive writing). In short, I really like it and the bottle won't last long.

I'll probably open the Bannow tomorrow and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

We’re told by distributors they has never been such demand for a new launch whisky.

Instagram Marketing 101.

Release small batches, sell out and create demand, release a new version.
    Variety is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,606 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Makers Mark. Haven't had it in a while. Forgot how good it is.

This was last night, not this morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Mellor wrote: »
    Instagram Marketing 101.

Variety is good.

it was 18,000 bottles between all 3 wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Mellor wrote: »
    Instagram Marketing 101.

Variety is good.

Exactly! All of a sudden the Distillery has the ability to bottle more of the Ballykilcavan and the Bannow Island after the first release sold out. So the initial claim of 8,000 bottles was total BS.

Its a bit ridiculous to be honest and I feel somewhat conned because the high price of the single malt was somewhat off set by the rarity (not that 8,000 bottles is rare). But if the true number is upwards of 12,000 of the bannow island and the ballykilcavan then we've been had!!!

Very sour taste in my mouth now!
    Ordered from Celtic Whiskey Shop Saturday. No communication since and then a phone call at 6 to ask if I was home. Delivered by one of the guys from the shop at 7. In Dublin obviously.

So I opened the Ballykilcalvan and I'm very impressed. I'm not going to bull**** people with tasting notes but it's very much to my taste. Quite sweet on the nose and a light, sweetish taste too. (That's as far as I'm going to push my descriptive writing). In short, I really like it and the bottle won't last long.

CWS are sending out emails saying that they cant fulfill all orders of the Waterford first and second releases. Hopefully you dont get that email but theyre offering two bottles of Ratheadon instead to those affected customers.

Ballykilcavan: Edition 1.1 is 8,640 bottles
    Ratheadon: Edition 1.1 is 2,020 bottles
    Bannow Island: Edition 1.1 is 8,616 bottles
    Pilgrimage is 1,500 bottles

This wasn't a particularly limited release. It wasn't particularly hyped prior to release either, they sent out tasting some kits of which Ive only seen 2 reviews.

Nowhere have I seen them say they are bottling 1.2 (or more 1.1) releases yet. What they have said is they are redirecting an SFO that was going over seas back to Ireland.

Rew wrote: »
    Ballykilcavan: Edition 1.1 is 8,640 bottles
    Ratheadon: Edition 1.1 is 2,020 bottles
    Bannow Island: Edition 1.1 is 8,616 bottles
    Pilgrimage is 1,500 bottles

This wasn't a particularly limited release. It wasn't particularly hyped prior to release either, they sent out tasting some kits of which Ive only seen 2 reviews.

Nowhere have I seen them say they are bottling 1.2 (or more 1.1) releases yet. What they have said is they are redirecting an SFO that was going over seas back to Ireland.

The founder Mark Reynier said it on his twitter. This is in addition to his tweet about redirecting the order which was after the below tweet.

105946769_10158299432728001_460407610341605736_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=snDT1X5PjmgAX93LGIX&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=09eec64a42312d86a4013a980c5afb5f&oe=5F1936F6

Hogzy wrote: »
    The master distller Mark Reynier said it on his twitter. This is in addition to his tweet about redirecting the order which was after the below tweet.

All that said is they are bottling more whiskey does not say its more of the existing releases. I'd imagine they are bottling the SFO they are redirecting.

CWS are sending out emails saying that they cant fulfill all orders of the Waterford first and second releases. Hopefully you dont get that email but theyre offering two bottles of Ratheadon instead to those affected customers.

From my limited dealings with them I feel like they over sell their stock sometimes. Seen others commenting about it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,495 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I see Dick Mack's have Waterford Bannow & Ballykilcavan 1.1 50mls for sale but at €13.50 a pop (plus delivery).
    I think I'll pass at those prices though.
    https://www.dickmackspub.com/product/1205/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

The master distller Mark Reynier

He's not BTW, he is the founder, Waterford don't have any titled Master distiller. Ned Gahan is the closest thing, he's Head Distiller.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    I see Dick Mack's have Waterford Bannow & Ballykilcavan 1.1 50mls for sale but at €13.50 a pop (plus delivery).
    I think I'll pass at those prices though.
    https://www.dickmackspub.com/product/1205/

I bought 100ml of the 3 for €50 from Revolution in Waterford.

Rew wrote: »
    He's not BTW, he is the founder, Waterford don't have any titled Master distiller. Ned Gahan is the closest thing, he's Head Distiller.

Right, judging by the responses above you know more than me! :rolleyes:

Dingle batch 5 deconstruction set arrived today.

Dingle batch 5 deconstruction set arrived today.

Three Drams looks like it could be a great tasting club. Launching in November they will deliver three whiskeys each month. Sign me up!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,495 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Three Drams looks like it could be a great tasting club. Launching in November they will deliver three whiskeys each month. Sign me up!

Bump this thread when signup opens... maybe we can setup a refer a friend chain if thats a thing!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭GY A1

Anyone try the west cork trio in lidl

Well I won't get the email as they've delivered the whiskey. One of the staff handed it to me at my front door last night. He did say I was lucky to get it so I could believe that they're having stock issues. Not unusual with them.

Comparing some Midleton tonight. The one on the left is Barry Crockett Legacy and the one on the right is Midleton Very Rare 2017. Both stunning whiskeys. The very rare has 32-year-old grain whiskey and 26-year-old single pot still as part of the blend. I'm struggling to pick a winner. Luckily I have a bottle of both to compare again.

• Advertisement

Opened the Bannow tonight. Another thumbs up. Hard to compare them 24 hours apart though so a side by side tasting will be required at the weekend. Both dangerously drinkable though.

But first, the the Boann tasting tomorrow night. Looking forward to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement