Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fota Island

Options
  • 25-06-2020 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭

Google Maps says there's a EV charger (possibly Tesla?) at Fota Island. Does anyone know if it's for hotel guests or open to anyone visiting Fota?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It’s at the resort, not the wildlife park. PlugShare suggests it’s for resort guests. Even if it wasn’t, it’s a bit of a distance from there to the park.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

I tweeted fota wildlife a while back asking about charging facilities, never heard a thing back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

JohnC. wrote: »
    It’s at the resort, not the wildlife park. PlugShare suggests it’s for resort guests. Even if it wasn’t, it’s a bit of a distance from there to the park.

517745.jpg

As per above picture at nearby hotel. 2 chargers marked Tesla only, one marked Tesla but should charge any type 2 car, and there looks to be very old esb unit possibly only 4.7kW. This picture was taken in 2018. Last check in on plugshare was April 2019 over a year ago

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

zg3409 wrote: »
    As per above picture at nearby hotel. 2 chargers marked Tesla only, one marked Tesla but should charge any type 2 car, and there looks to be very old esb unit possibly only 4.7kW. This picture was taken in 2018. Last check in on plugshare was April 2019 over a year ago

That has to be the messiest public access charge points I've ever seen.

Only the hotel is 5 star

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

I’ve used the non-Tesla charger while staying at the hotel, worked perfectly and the staff were helpful enough telling me about it in advance, where to find it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

Thanks for the help all. A little disappointing but not the end of the world. We're doing a family trip in August and managed to book three hotels without on-site charging. It would have been nice to top-up on our day at Fota to avoid an en-route stop the next day.

Google says its a 50 minute walk from the hotel to the wildlife park, is there a shuttle bus for residents or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

markpb wrote: »
    Google says its a 50 minute walk from the hotel to the wildlife park, is there a shuttle bus for residents or something?

Looks like there used to be anyway. Whether it is still running and how you would pay for it if not staying at the resort I'm not sure. http://blog.fotaisland.ie/2012/11/big-congratulations-to-fota-wildlife-park/

Doubtful it's open these days.

That's the line I basically told fota. Having a charger opens up fota to more people. Could email them again I guess, but I doubt they're in any rush. Staying longer in fota (charging up) doesn't benefit them much.

Advertisement