Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Olympus has fallen

Options
  • 24-06-2020 10:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭

After a year of rumors, denials, and backtracking, it’s finally official: Olympus is exiting the camera business after an 84-year run as one of the world’s most recognizable brands in the industry.

https://petapixel.com/2020/06/24/olympus-exits-the-camera-business/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Today the two camps are Nikon and Canon but back in the 70's to 90's it was Nikon and Olympus that were the two main players. I had Nikon FTN but most of my friends used the OM range (mostly 10's and 20's). They had Auto to my fully manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Just here for the great thread title.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i must fess up, i nicked it from a post i saw on another forum on the topic.

anyway, tis a pity. i learned on an OM1, sold it and that was the most stupid decision i ever made regarding buying or selling a camera. i have two now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

I'd thank the post but it feels wrong - sad to hear that but didn't they have that massive corruption/accounting(?) scandal a few years ago? Never had the pleasure of owning an Olympus - but I'll pour one out for them while remembering my Konika Minolta that I loved in the past too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've gone through an XA, a MJU 1, a MJU II, a couple of Mamiya 6's with Zuiko lenses, and one of their little micro 4/3rds jobs with a panasonic 14mm stuck on the front. Some nice ones here ...

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=31589949%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=olympus&view_all=1

Of course, the brand now will likely be knocked around different companies, getting shabbier and shabbier with each sale, until it hits the skid row of brand whoring, alongside polaroid.

• Advertisement

Shame - but perhaps the 'film' era was their zenith - I've never taken to digital for anything but the most trivial of snapshots - started with a PEN way back when, then a beautiful black OM-1md when it was released - it's still going strong (OK, the motor drive sh1t its pants and was replaced but even that was over 20 years ago now).

Along the way there's been a couple of Canon AE-1s, an A-1, Minolta X700, some Nikons (FM2 in particular) but they were all outlasted (and outshone) by the OM-1.

In my opinion :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've had three OM1s, an OM2SP, an OM4 and an OM4Ti, and a trip. and one of their early DSLRs which got very little use.

the electrics in the OM4s was sadly not up to much; ideally i'd like an OM3 or 3Ti but i think they still change hands for good money.

also, i have a zuiko 90mm f2 macro which is just a brilliant lens. unfortunately my 50mm f1.4 has developed fungus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Thirdfox wrote: »
    I'd thank the post but it feels wrong - sad to hear that but didn't they have that massive corruption/accounting(?) scandal a few years ago? Never had the pleasure of owning an Olympus - but I'll pour one out for them while remembering my Konika Minolta that I loved in the past too.

Yes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympus_scandal. A massive deal at the time for a business culture that thought itself above that sort of thing.

Never owned an Olympus, they always seemed quite expensive but not a Nikon while Canon seemed to be more feature packed.

JIP are the next owners, a private equity company who buy distressed assets but if it helps keep the cameras going then no one will mind.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OMG, my OM10
    OMG, my OM4

Oh my, what will I do with all of it? - maybe a museum will be interested when my grandkids are drawing their pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Awwww what a pity. My first adventure with D-SLR was with an E510. Still have it. It's 2 main advantages were:
    1)stick on a 150mm lens and it becomes a 300mm (in full-frame terms)
    2)buy a cheap adapter and you can fit Nikon/Pentax lenses.
    Yes, many an adventure was had. More recently I was gifted an OM10 and a few lenses & I did a bit of 'messing' with film.
    RIP

• Advertisement
Advertisement