Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I need a root canal but can’t afford it

Options
  • 25-06-2020 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So I got a filling about 5 years ago and the dentist told me he probably shouldn’t fill it but did anyway, fast forward 2 years after I got the worst pain in my upper right premolar, I went to the dentist and was quoted over €1,000 for a root canal treatment, I am a college student and have nowhere near the funds to spend on a tooth!
    I had to ignore it and eventually the pain went away until now it’s back and so bad and I am still in college and am nowhere near being ready to be able to pay this all upfront
    What am I meant to do I really need it done and I can’t afford it, is this how the country works? Someone could badly need treatment but if they can’t afford it they have to suffer on and deal with the consequences of going untreated?
    I’m in agony and don’t know of any solutions regarding payments for a root canal when I’m broke

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Edit; just read the previous posters link. Your health scheme is excellent, i left my post in just the same.

I don't know how the health scheme works in Ireland, but in Canada, dental care is not covered except under personal and or group insurance.
    You are in college, does your university have a dental medicine faculty?

I once had a root canal done at McGill University's dentistry department by students about twenty years ago because it was much cheaper.
    You could try finding a college where you could have this done, if not at yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think my dentists price list had €550-700 for root canals in Rathmines.

The Dental Hospital might be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Op, at over €1000 for a premolar, it is likely this quote is for both a root canal treatment and a crown afterwards. Contact your dentist, I suspect you will find that the root canal treatment alone will be less around half that.

Root canal is usually done in two stages, in the first stage the nerve is removed, this will relieve the pain. Typically Dentists charge half the fee at this appointment. The second appointment is arranged for 2-4 weeks later, if you at least get the first stage done, you will be out of pain, it then gives you a bit of time to get the money together to complete the treatment.

Root canal is a lengthy and difficult treatment for Dentists to do, so it does cost, unfortunately none of the cost for a premolar is covered by the state schemes. Credit Unions tend to be very receptive to loan applications for dental treatments, you might consider applying for a loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Lots of clinics will do first stage root canal for around 150e.
    In most cases this will get rid of your symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fishorsealant

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Edit; just read the previous posters link. Your health scheme is excellent, i left my post in just the same.

The medical card scheme can be described as many things, excellent definitely not one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can get it pulled out either much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Yep get it pulled if you cant afford root canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I recently had a root canal and crown done in Northern Ireland.

Was quoted €1000 for the root canal and €600 for the crown in Dublin.

I went north and the root canal was £150 and the crown was £250.

Superb job in a spotless surgery, couldn't recommend them highly enough.

PM if you want surgery details.

JCDUB wrote: »
    I recently had a root canal and crown done in Northern Ireland.

Was quoted €1000 for the root canal and €600 for the crown in Dublin.

I went north and the root canal was £150 and the crown was £250.

Superb job in a spotless surgery, couldn't recommend them highly enough.

PM if you want surgery details.

At £150 for two hours of clinical time, when you deduct the costs of materials and running costs of Clinic, then tax the net amount, your Dentist made just above minimum wage for your root canal. The same would apply for the crown except the lab fee would have to be included, that really is an amazing deal for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Kirm2

I know this post is old now, but if you are online could you please let me know the name of this dentist, I need root canal and crown and no way can I afford it in the Republin unfortunately. Thanks

The poster was bullshitting, pretty much all clinics in the North have websites with price lists, google is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Me too soooo expensive

Advertisement