Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animal spotting - frogs, foxes, other?

• 24-06-2020 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi all,

In these strange times, I think I speak for many of us when I say that I have a newfound appreciation for the previously unappreciated beauty right on my doorstep.

I've started photographing wildlife, and am hoping to broaden my horizons some more, but I need to find new wildlife to do so!

So far, I've spent lots of time photographing things in Claddagh (swans, seal, dolphin, heron), Salthill (mainly birds, some jellyfish on the beach), Barna woods (birds) and Renville park (bees, butterflies, birds).

Would anyone recommend any other spots where I might find some new creatures? I'm open to anything but what comes to mind are frogs, foxes, badges or hedgehogs - although I know the last 3 may be hard to find!

Thanking you in advance! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

I've come across deer and kestrels while kayaking on the corrib. From Moycullen through to Roscahill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Apparently there's loads of rats in Barna Woods near the church-side silver strand entrance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Hi all,

In these strange times, I think I speak for many of us when I say that I have a newfound appreciation for the previously unappreciated beauty right on my doorstep.

I've started photographing wildlife, and am hoping to broaden my horizons some more, but I need to find new wildlife to do so!

So far, I've spent lots of time photographing things in Claddagh (swans, seal, dolphin, heron), Salthill (mainly birds, some jellyfish on the beach), Barna woods (birds) and Renville park (bees, butterflies, birds).

Would anyone recommend any other spots where I might find some new creatures? I'm open to anything but what comes to mind are frogs, foxes, badges or hedgehogs - although I know the last 3 may be hard to find!

Thanking you in advance! :D

You will catch a fox any night the bins are out..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I have seen a few cheeky mink on the shores of Lough Corrib. They really are great swimmers. They were chasing down ducklings. I hear they are eating cygnets too.

A lot of mammals are more active at night, bats obviously, but certainly badgers and hedgehogs are best seen near dusk. Setts aren't hard to find, sit and wait nearby. Red Squirrels in Merlin woods, quieter parts with a mix of hazel and spruce are best, not terribly difficult to see. Otters and the odd porpoise at high tide from Nimmos Pier.

Menlo is a great place for birdlife too, up by the Angliham quarry, or by the river.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Apparently there's loads of rats in Barna Woods near the church-side silver strand entrance

Lots, especially in the late evenings. Not everyone's cup of tea but if it's creatures you're after....! ;)

If you walk in from the Barna road entrance and start up the hill, look down to the lower section on your right you'll see them coming in and out of their burrows.

If you walk along the high walled road between the Barna Road entrance and the gap in the wall opposite Silverstrand you'll see lots more, but not great spot for photography as it's quite dark and that path isn't very natural. But they'll run into their holes and appear back at the entrance 20 seconds later if you want a close-up with a long lens. We met about 12 the last day along this 100m stretch!

There is another spot in the Woods to the left of the path as you go up by Cappagh Park, continue along the soccer pitch and about 150m before the path enters the GAA pitch. Have often seen a group of around 6 out here, not as reliable but looks like the best spot for a photo.

Edit: Came across a lovely little mouse at Barna woods too. Was casually walking around near our feet for a couple of minutes before it realised what we were and disappeared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

If you go down to the end of Nimmo's pier at dusk you'll sometimes see a couple of otters out fishing. They'll occasionally come up on the rocks by the beach or on the steps. Saw them once come up with either a salmon or a mullet (was getting dark).

You'll sometimes see them along the canal during the day too.

The dolphin is fairly resident at Nimmo's too, but sometimes ventures a bit further out into the bay and hard to spot if the water is choppy. Can come right in at high tide, especially when the salmon are moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 derekshelvin

Didn't we once have falcons living in the city, does anyone know anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,295 ✭✭✭✭zell12

There's a hot food factory something in Ballybrit, and animals are attracted by the smell from it (like soup/cooking) and get killed on the N6. I've seen many dead foxes, hedgehogs there

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Loads of rabbits around the racecourse and park more. I've seen a few foxes too around the area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭klr87

Loads of rabbits around the racecourse and park more. I've seen a few foxes too around the area
    Thread bump.

I was around that area last Saturday evening, and had 3 rabbit sightings in the space of a minute. No foxes to be seen, not at that time of the day, but it stands to reason they must be there.

There are plenty of foxes in and around Salthill and Knocknacarra. It would take me a while to list all the places I've seen them during my late night walks.

And then there are the otters. I saw one crossing the Mutton Island causeway a few years ago, with three young in tow, and then a fourth trailing behind. I saw another crossing the causeway late one evening last May, seemingly not that worried by the presence of people. And then another late at night on the sea wall opposite the old driving range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Anyone know any good spot to see a weasel.saw one in coole park once.they’re hard to see

Fox crossed the road in front of me in Knocknacarra last week, just before dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

klr87 wrote: »
    I was around that area last Saturday evening, and had 3 rabbit sightings in the space of a minute.

I work in an office out there 2-3 days each week. Seeing rabbits pretty much every time I leave in the evening these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Anyone know any good spot to see a weasel.saw one in coole park once.they’re hard to see

I see them from time to time, saw a Pine Martin once as well but they are very rare.

You won't see Weasels in Ireland, we do have Stoats which are slightly larger. Old dry stone walls and banks are their favourite habitat. Have seen them west of Silverstrand a couple of times. Unless you are told of a den site, it's a matter of luck seeing them. Not rare around here, and they're active during the day, but not something you will see often.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lot of rabbits in the fields on left as you head up the hill on Tuam road towards Kenny Motors. Also saw a pic of two foxes on the Terryland Forest Park Alliance facebook page - the photographer might agree to show you where?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Zzippy wrote: »
    Lot of rabbits in the fields on left as you head up the hill on Tuam road towards Kenny Motors. Also saw a pic of two foxes on the Terryland Forest Park Alliance facebook page - the photographer might agree to show you where?

Ya I was cycling through Mervue industrial estate last year and two rabbits were just there on the grass between Penn and the Tuam Rd, living in the overgrowth/green area there I'd assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭beerguts

I have seen several deer in Derroura lately, this is the mountain bike trail between Oughterard and Maamcross. Its well worth the walk up there

Advertisement