Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iOS 14

Options
  • 22-06-2020 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭

So Apple just dropped iOS 14 with a redesigned app screen for the first time since iOS was introduced. The Maps and Messages features are welcome, as well as the extras such as Clips and picture-in-picture mode. It will be interesting to see how stable this release is after iOS 13 was one of the more bug-filled releases.

Anyone tempted to install the developer beta on their daily device? :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Not beta 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’d never install the dev beta but am tempted at the public one. Don’t know if I wanna risk it though. Suppose it’s better to wait and see how buggy the update is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Mr.S wrote: »
    Incoming calls not taking up the whole screen is finally here, that only took years

Going to try it on my ipad pro, downloading now. I might chance my iphone pro max if it seems ok on the ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Being able to use a 3rd party browser as your default browser is a big plus. No more Safari opening by default.

• Administrators Posts: 53,356 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Being able to use a 3rd party browser as your default browser is a big plus. No more Safari opening by default.

Can only imagine that Apple are starting to really worry about the EU.

If only they’d done it for maps too, to save us all having to suffer the absolute garbage that Apple maps gives us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

So does this mean we are going to get these pop ups asking what browser ya want to use to open every link every time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,358 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Cool new feature of iOS 14, you can double tap the back of tour iPhone to trigger shortcuts (e.g. open Notification Center, camera etc.)

https://twitter.com/bengeskin/status/1275206369755398145

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'd love the default music to be optional..

I'll probably give the publlc beta a spin on my daily device. Might wait a couple of days to see how others are finding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭deep1

Have it installed since last night and not a single issue so far.
    No app crash, battery is good for 1st beta, very fluid, loving it so far. iPhone 11 Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

deep1 wrote: »
    No app crash, battery is good for 1st beta, very fluid, loving it so far. iPhone 11 Pro.

Looking at Twitter, the general opinion seems to be pretty good across the board!

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Can only imagine that Apple are starting to really worry about the EU.

If only they’d done it for maps too, to save us all having to suffer the absolute garbage that Apple maps gives us.

I still try and use it because it fits in so much better in CarPlay. Hopefully the new updates for here announced will make it more useful.

Developer account is needed at this stage isn’t it? I just stuck the Beta back on my ipad but it only updated to 13.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

Is there something wrong with my phone? Installed the first beta last night and it runs perfectly! Very surprised

Developer account is needed at this stage isn’t it? I just stuck the Beta back on my ipad but it only updated to 13.6.

Not sure about iPad but for iOS public profile is floating around and can be installed with dev account.

Not sure about iPad but for iOS public profile is floating around and can be installed with dev account.

You need to have right profile, you might have iOS 13 beta profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I won't go near the Dev beta, but every year I say I'll wait until the final release, and every year I end up installing the Public Beta on my daily phone after about the second or third release. There's been a few glitches here and there, sometimes a bit of extra battery drain, but nothing that's so bad or lasts long enough that I regret it or revert back to the official release. Of course, there's no guarantees. We'll see how my patience lasts this year after the PB is out a while and people are using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I won't go near the Dev beta, but every year I say I'll wait until the final release, and every year I end up installing the Public Beta on my daily phone after about the second or third release. There's been a few glitches here and there, sometimes a bit of extra battery drain, but nothing that's so bad or lasts long enough that I regret it or revert back to the official release. Of course, there's no guarantees. We'll see how my patience lasts this year after the PB is out a while and people are using it.

Once the first Public Beta comes out, you’re essentially just running the 2nd or 3rd Developer Beta at that stage. The only difference is the naming of them and if you’re on the developer profile, you usually get the updates a day or so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Once the first Public Beta comes out, you’re essentially just running the 2nd or 3rd Developer Beta at that stage. The only difference is the naming of them and if you’re on the developer profile, you usually get the updates a day or so early.

True, but the PB (particularly after the 1st release) will have had a lot more people using it than the Dev beta, and more using it on daily devices rather than developer dedicated ones, reporting on real world issues, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

True, but the PB (particularly after the 1st release) will have had a lot more people using it than the Dev beta, and more using it on daily devices rather than developer dedicated ones, reporting on real world issues, etc.

For sure it’s more to highlight the reality that once it goes public, people are getting the same thing from then on. There is a common misconception that the developer beta is more of a risk for some reason when it’s the same builds.

You need to have right profile, you might have iOS 13 beta profile.

Yeah I think it must be that. I haven’t a developer account though anyway so I’ll check back for the 14 beta profile next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Got the iPad profile from betaprofiles and then went to software update via settings

Looks strange, anyone else see this? They’re one and the same so maybe it’s ok, not sure. iOS version was developer

65-BBCA68-5-F0-F-4343-A631-6121974-CCE6-F.jpg

Does using a developer profile kill Apple Pay?

Does using a developer profile kill Apple Pay?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rtg78

DubDJ wrote: »
    So Apple just dropped iOS 14 with a redesigned app screen for the first time since iOS was introduced. The Maps and Messages features are welcome, as well as the extras such as Clips and picture-in-picture mode. It will be interesting to see how stable this release is after iOS 13 was one of the more bug-filled releases.

Anyone tempted to install the developer beta on their daily device? :)

I installed it yesterday right after the keynote on my ip11 pro max which is my daily driver and I have to say so far it hasn’t skipped a beat! I’ve yet to encounter a single bug. Not a single app crashed on me all animations are smooth like butter no frames dropped nothing! And it’s blazing fast. I’m impressed. Feels like final release tbh. At least for me.

One would have to wonder will firms even take advantage of app clips in ireland?

I’ve stuck it on both now too. Apart from adding/removing widgets on iPad OS being a bit broken I’ve seen little else wrong. The apps asking for network access all the time is a little annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Shn99 wrote: »
    One would have to wonder will firms even take advantage of app clips in ireland?

Why wouldn't they?

You see QR codes everywhere?

Ireland is not behind other countries.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they?

You see QR codes everywhere?

Ireland is not behind other countries.

Most of the time things like this get uptake within a 20km radius of San Francisco.

The Weather widget on the home screen is a bit dodgy too. Lasted on my location for a while but now has just defaulted to Cupertino.

• Advertisement

The Weather widget on the home screen is a bit dodgy too. Lasted on my location for a while but now has just defaulted to Cupertino.

Same has happened to me

Advertisement