Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening Herald movie reviewer in the 90s

Options
  • 21-06-2020 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

Figured this would be the best place to get an answer.

Anyone know the name of the guy who wrote movie reviews in the Herald in the mid 90s (maybe before and after too) I think he had an opinion column too on general entertainment stuff too.

I remember his name as Peter (might not be) and last name began with H (I though Howlin or Howlett but Google isn't bringing up anything) and he somewhat looked like a Colm Meaney type with glasses.

No real reason for me asking except to scratch a memory itch. I remember disagreeing with him quite a bit on his opinions so he stuck in my head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Peter Howick?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

drake70 wrote: »
    Peter Howick?

Well that was fast! Cheers that appears to be the fella, though not much on him online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

AS a slight aside the Evening Herald movie critic probably just after him was "George Byrne" I think was his name. I used to read his reviews to have a good laugh at how we were guaranteed to have differing opinions. This guy put the "art" into contrarian. Think he died pretty young in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,340 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep George Byrne was some reviewer alright - never held back

• Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"Orlando Bloom was so wooden he could have played the horse."
    - Peter Howick, reviewing "Troy"

And not sure who was the reviewer at the Herald as Goodfellas and Godfather air same night on Irish Tv...

"Whichever bright sparks at RTE and TV3 decided to schedule the two greatest gangster movies of all in the same timeslot deserves to wake up tomorrow morning with a horse's head."

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,201 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Also John Maguire.

Colin Farrell's manful battle with the puerile dialogue, dodgy (Irish) accents, wandering plot and some unreliable supporting performances is greater than anything the real Alexander would have faced, and is ultimately one he cannot win.

I have seen all of Hilary Duff's movies, a fact I keep in reserve when people at parties tell me they'd love to do my job.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,382 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Donald Clarke at the Irish Times often gives me a giggle. A snippet of his review of Mortdecai:

"This willfully terrible film marks a significant juncture in Johnny Depp's peculiar career.
    It is, to him, as the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand was to the Balkan League."

Advertisement