Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin YYI reg. no.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Cyclonius

It seems to be, per this link: https://www.radiatorservice.ie/details-on-irish-vehicle-registrati.

The picture has a stamp stating that the logbook is discontinued per direction of the Ministry of Transport. The ebay listing states that the vehicle was registered on 31/08/1959, while the logbook lists it as being registered on 05/10/1967. All of this would suggest to me that the vehicle was first registered here in Ireland (with the YYI number), and then later imported into the UK, at which point the reg number was changed.

It was also possible to transfer an Irish reg to the UK up to the mid 80s. For example whoever that bloke that runs Chelsea FC is has the plate 'VIP 1' - originally issued by Kilkenny CoCo and the Philippines embassy has the (originally) Tipperary plate 'PHI 1'

I so wanted Leitrim CoCo (County code 'IT') to have the balls to actually issue the plate 'TIT 5', but they only got to 'KIT 780' by the time a new system was introduced...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Uncanny.

My dad has (had ?) a Fiat Mirafiori YYI 400.........or was it 400 YYI ?

Anyhoo, most of those reg's were used twice, first as Letter/Number, then years later as Number/Letter.

The reason this stuck in my memory is I remember by Dad ordering number plates for it and he confused the guy to the extent we got them the wrong way round..........and we had them on the car for years & years. No ANPR then !!

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 24,954 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

galwaytt wrote: »
    Uncanny.

My dad has (had ?) a Fiat Mirafiori YYI 400.........or was it 400 YYI ?
    If it was a Mirafiori, it would have been the latter - letters as a suffix (1976/77).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If only it was YII, it would go for a million in Newcastle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

I wonder if the seller knows that its illegal to sell tax books?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

You could keep the Irish number in the UK back then when transfering.
    It would be 1959, I know of a 1959 Chevrolet and it's reg is XYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you buy this tax book, will the DVLA let you use the reg on a vehicle in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Type 17 wrote: »
    If you buy this tax book, will the DVLA let you use the reg on a vehicle in the UK?

normally has to be MoTd to transfer the reg no, presumably there is some similar regulation for exempt vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

w124man wrote: »
    I wonder if the seller knows that its illegal to sell tax books?

Is it illegal to 'sell' them or is it illegal to use them to 'create' a vehicle from the details on the logbook.
    Some people collect things....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I'd say they are government property.

Advertisement