Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what races likely too happen

Options
  • 02-06-2020 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

given that this weekend the first triathlon in Poland is taking place
    the first ironman branded race seems to take place end of june in the USA .
    which are the races that are likely to go ahead.
    the polish rules are waves up to 150 athletes up to 999 people.poland has already had bike tt races and it would appear that seems to have gone well.

in Ireland I guess the most prominent seems to be hardman.
    I would be fairly confident ironman Austria is going ahead as Austria is keen and if there is a way they will make it happen.
    likewise frenchman in October also very keen.

from what we see in Germany opening of gyms outdoor pools in some reagion seems safer than restaurants.( this is obviously more a tendency than a fact at this time )
    anyway who are the glass half full organicers willing to at least go forward.
    at the same time I do not believe the mega weekend at Hamburg with ironman. race and the Hamburg tri the biggest triathlon in the world too happen happening at the same weekend . personally I think that's the glass a bit too full ...given that there seems to be so many events in the city that w

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Kurt_Godel.

Swim Ireland/Leinster Open Sea have cancelled OW events until August, and I can't imagine TI allowing any swims until at least then. Every NGB in Ireland is waiting to see who goes first, and official Ireland is waiting to see what the US/UK/EU do first, so we won't be at the vanguard of race restarts, that's about as clear as it gets...

ITU have issued detailed guidelines for their races post-Covid, but just a few days ago they postponed for a year their ITU Multisport World Championships due to take place in Holland at the start of September.

I'd agree with you that Hardman is likely to go ahead- having been down in Kerry over the last few days there will be civil war if tourism isn't allow restart there soon. Hopefully other smaller scale races will also go ahead from August- to be honest there appears to be very little likelihood of virus transmission if good SD/hygiene is practised outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Swim Ireland/Leinster Open Sea have cancelled OW events until August, and I can't imagine TI allowing any swims until at least then. Every NGB in Ireland is waiting to see who goes first, and official Ireland is waiting to see what the US/UK/EU do first, so we won't be at the vanguard of race restarts, that's about as clear as it gets...

ITU have issued detailed guidelines for their races post-Covid, but just a few days ago they postponed for a year their ITU Multisport World Championships due to take place in Holland at the start of September.

I'd agree with you that Hardman is likely to go ahead- having been down in Kerry over the last few days there will be civil war if tourism isn't allow restart there soon. Hopefully other smaller scale races will also go ahead from August- to be honest there appears to be very little likelihood of virus transmission if good SD/hygiene is practised outdoors.

The problem I see for Kerry is that even if opened the people coming will not have the spending power of the Yanks and some price adjustments will be required. Thinking of the town where my mam's family is from.

As for the races - until pack racing is allowed for CI I cannot see TI allowing races. How can TI allow something that another NGB will not?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

tunney wrote: »

As for the races - until pack racing is allowed for CI I cannot see TI allowing races. How can TI allow something that another NGB will not?

While the above is true, at some point some NGB will have to be 1st of the mark.
    Athletics Ireland had said there will be no competition before the 10th of August with "potential for small competition" after that.
    Now it doesn't say what they consider "small competition" whether that is some county track and field competition or national is anyone's guess at the moment. This would make sense as it would be confined to AI club members only. I don't see open Road races going ahead until maybe September but thats only my opinion.
    I don't see any TI races going ahead until after the August 10th date either.. But this covid situation is so fluid it could change either way by then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I guess the bigger question is not what itu world's are doing. Ie it makes certainly sense to avoid mixing people from too many countries as it makes it harder to trace .

For instance the german tri fed is very pro active to get races happening and they admited it helped that their office is in the same street as the germany soccer federation and of course they kind of where encouraged by soccer pushing ahead so early. .
    And if sport works in Europe it's going to be hard for ireland to ignore that

Ceepo wrote: »
    While the above is true, at some point some NGB will have to be 2st of the mark.
    Athletics Ireland had said there will be no competition before the 10th of August with "potential for small competition" after that.
    Now it doesn't say what they consider "small competition" whether that is some county track and field competition or national is anyone's guess at the moment. This would make sense as it would be confined to AI club members only. I don't see open Road races going ahead until maybe September but thats only my opinion.
    I don't see any TI races going ahead until after the August 10th date either.. But this covid situation is so fluid it could change either way by then

And of course one can not deny the situation is fluid at the same time there needs to be tests to see what's going g to be viable and what not ,on smaller scales and if it's not going to work there is no shame to admit it .
    Bit like somebody has to test his eye side to see if they can drive to London lol .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

peter kern wrote: »
    And of course one can not deny the situation is fluid at the same time there needs to be tests to see what's going g to be viable and what not ,on smaller scales and if it's not going to work there is no shame to admit it .
    Bit like somebody has to test his eye side to see if they can drive to London lol .
    Yes of course test have to be done, and the fact that rubgy has now date when they can start back with physical training is all a help. That's why I mentioned AI and how they might be able to get smaller races going, ( County championships Road or track, as it confines it to club members only and most clubs will not have too many members who run track). Also as you said football is back in Germany, which will help in no small way to get other sports going again. We are certainly a few weeks behind Germany.
    TI don't have the same test opportunities as AI, unless they limit entries, which may not be economic viable, or have rolling starts, which will have an impact on events that have closed roads etc. This is before we take social distance into account. Some race will have confined transition space.

I'm going to suggest that any return to "normality" will be first driven by the citizens rather than the Government or the HSE... current guidelines are being breached left right and centre, making irrelevant the effectiveness of those who do stay at home.

Other countries are opening up to group sports, Ireland Inc. will always play it safe and minimise any risks. I was at a "return to swimming" webinar from Swim Ireland a couple of days ago, and was shocked by their lack of guidance or preparation. Ditto TI (and other sports organisations) seem to be content to continue the lockdown and keep things virtual or online. Its clear there is a "wait and see" approach to how other countries fare, before opening up.

We (as a country) have the most restrictive measures in Europe, are at twice the WHO SD guidelines, despite a mostly young and healthy populace. Fear has replaced common sense- its become far to easy to repeat the "stay safe, stay at home" mantra, but there are other ways of staying safe that would allow people to live their lives a bit more.

I'm going to suggest that any return to "normality" will be first driven by the citizens rather than the Government or the HSE... current guidelines are being breached left right and centre, making irrelevant the effectiveness of those who do stay at home.

Other countries are opening up to group sports, Ireland Inc. will always play it safe and minimise any risks. I was at a "return to swimming" webinar from Swim Ireland a couple of days ago, and was shocked by their lack of guidance or preparation. Ditto TI (and other sports organisations) seem to be content to continue the lockdown and keep things virtual or online. Its clear there is a "wait and see" approach to how other countries fare, before opening up.

We (as a country) have the most restrictive measures in Europe, are at twice the WHO SD guidelines, despite a mostly young and healthy populace. Fear has replaced common sense- its become far to easy to repeat the "stay safe, stay at home" mantra, but there are other ways of staying safe that would allow people to live their lives a bit more.

I think we can agree Ireland is doing better job than the USA and England ....
    my intend of the thread was more to get in the coming weeks a list of races that intend to go ahead rather than discussing politics . more case samples what's being done in sports.
    but maybe I should open another thread just with a race lists with races that are at least considering to run.

I refered to how the pandemic is managed in England and USA . and I think that Ireland did a better job there .
    well there is at least a list from hardman races that would be worth a while to post 5 races or whatever it is is a start
    you can unload your negative energy in other threads about race cancelations but leave this one as a more positive to see where things are moving forward in the sport world.
    this is the glass half full thread lol and of course no guarantee that races will go ahead etc etc

Waterville half 25 the July half
    bantry 8 the August half
    full hardman 29 the August full
    dingle 12 the September oly
    Valentina 26 the September sprint
    kilarney duathlon 16 th October

pretty much a full race season

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Fiftyplus

Lost Sheep, Sept 5th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Wonder if IM Barca will happen in Oct! I am booked in and watching the situation closely! A lot has changed since March.. A lot can change by August... heres hoping it can go ahead and feel somewhat 'normal'

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Sbefort

Fiftyplus wrote: »
    Lost Sheep, Sept 5th?

I really hope this one goes ahead, I have been told this is one of the best [if not the best] race to do in Ireland and managed to sign up for it this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Tri-Athy is 29th August now

you can unload your negative energy in other threads about race cancelations but leave this one as a more positive to see where things are moving forward in the sport world.
    this is the glass half full thread lol and of course no guarantee that races will go ahead etc etc
    Ah fair enough Peter, nothing wrong with a bit of hope. I was talking to the Hardman honcho who is reasonably confident his races will go ahead based on their low-key vibe and smaller numbers. Fingers crossed.
    Valentina 26 the September sprint

How likely is the swim with late September water temps? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Bertje14

I am afraid no races will go ahead this year. None of the big one's anyway. Really hope some of the later one's (in September) might but I am not holding my breath.

I hope that I am wrong. Really do. But I am not going to sign up until it is certain.

Anyway I have written off 2020. Keep ticking over. Keep training going on a base level so we can go in "fighting fit" into 2021 and pick up where we left in 2019. And if there is a race happening and we do sign up well that is a bonus so.

So less "raise" a glass on hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

S_D wrote: »
    Wonder if IM Barca will happen in Oct! I am booked in and watching the situation closely! A lot has changed since March.. A lot can change by August... heres hoping it can go ahead and feel somewhat 'normal'

I'm in the same boat. Its very hard to keep motivated to train when the race is probably going to be cancelled.
    I wish Ironman would just cancel all races but they don't seem to care about the risk of travelling or what restrictions will in place on international borders.
    For E.G anyone from Ireland or the UK who wants to do IM Greece 70.3 won't be able to as Irish and UK holidaymakers will be barred for entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

PWEI wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. Its very hard to keep motivated to train when the race is probably going to be cancelled.
    I wish Ironman would just cancel all races but they don't seem to care about the risk of travelling or what restrictions will in place on international borders.
    For E.G anyone from Ireland or the UK who wants to do IM Greece 70.3 won't be able to as Irish and UK holidaymakers will be barred for entering.

I'm signed up for IM Barca too. Meant to be my first full distance.

Accepted myself that I won't be doing it regardless of whether or not it gets the go ahead.

Too much uncertainty over travel & lost training hours on my part. I'm going to defer my entry to 2021 & hope we are in a better position by then.

Afters todays expedited return of travel freedoms, its much more likely we'll see some smaller races over the coming months. Better get training!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Afters todays expedited return of travel freedoms, its much more likely we'll see some smaller races over the coming months. Better get training!

Yep Seems there will be racing before we know it!

Ironman Barca is still going ahead, I was speaking to an insider and its very much steaming ahead! A lot can happen between now and October, .. my money is on it will be back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

IM tallinn Estonia looks positive imo. They released video stating they are looking to comply to all requirements. Based of their can do attitude from previous years I'm confident they will do what they can.
    Estonia come July are allowing people to enter the country once their home country has things under control.

• Advertisement

Most of us probably got the below guidelines from TI. So a glimmer of hope that we might get some races going. Fingers crossed. To be honest it doesn't make for pretty reading. It will take a lot of the fun parts out of the races. I haven't decided yet if i I will sign up for something.

https://www.triathlonireland.com/Image-Document-Library/News/2020/V1-1-Covid-19-Event-Guidelines-for-Organisers.pdf

But just a quick question I would like to throw into the group. What with mass gatherings? Has anything changed? As most races I assume would still be considered to be a mass gathering or am I seeing that wrong?

IM tallinn Estonia looks positive imo. They released video stating they are looking to comply to all requirements. Based of their can do attitude from previous years I'm confident they will do what they can.
    Estonia come July are allowing people to enter the country once their home country has things under control.
    I would agree and race not too big either

Outdoor gathering of up to 200 people will be allowed from June 29th, 500 from July 20th, so that should give the green light to most Irish triathlons. Hopefully the worst is behind us!

I know the Hardman races are happening but TI has put in such big restricting guidelines that most organizers are pulling out. I don't know if you read the guidelines I linked in earlier post but they are bit "mental".

Word on the street is that is it because of the compo culture. they don't want to take any chances so they are going really serious about it.

That is what I heard.

But yes independent races like Hardman and potentially King of Greystones might go ahead. And that is good news. Happy for them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Bertje14 wrote: »
    I know the Hardman races are happening but TI has put in such big restricting guidelines that most organizers are pulling out. I don't know if you read the guidelines I linked in earlier post but they are bit "mental".

Word on the street is that is it because of the compo culture. they don't want to take any chances so they are going really serious about it.

That is what I heard.

But yes independent races like Hardman and potentially King of Greystones might go ahead. And that is good news. Happy for them

Is Hardman not a TI sanctioned race this year?

The requirements of the TI guidelines are all doable, but are a pain in the ass for organisers.

griffin100 wrote: »
    Is Hardman not a TI sanctioned race this year?

The requirements of the TI guidelines are all doable, but are a pain in the ass for organisers.

Yes they are but TI sanctioned means you need to have TI license so they know you have insurance but doesnt mean you need to follow all TI rules.

I was told this I wasnt aware of this myself. So good news.

Celtic warrior another one that I believe goes ahead

That is what I heard.

which restrictions in that document do you think would make a race organizer pull out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

Yes they are but TI sanctioned means you need to have TI license so they know you have insurance but doesnt mean you need to follow all TI rules.

I was told this I wasnt aware of this myself. So good news.

Celtic warrior another one that I believe goes ahead

Didn’’t know that. At least nudity in transition in the absence of changing tents won’t result in a DQ.!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

which restrictions in that document do you think would make a race organizer pull out ?

It’s an accumulation of several of the restrictions that make it difficult for club races. Most could be dealt with but as someone already mentioned, it’s a pain in the ass to deal with at short notice for volunteer lead efforts. The 2 meter rule makes it difficult for those short on space in transition, with narrow out and back run sections etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

i wouldve thought celtic warrior with multiple run loops on a narrow road would be in bother , but they mustve worked something out, although they not t.i. sanctioned at all, so doing their own thing maybe

Advertisement