Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ranelagh, cycling to UCD, then to Inchico, then back to Ranelagh each day?

Options
  • 19-06-2020 12:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

I googled mapped it.

Question I really have is, traffic wise and accessibility to bike paths etc, would this be major hassle to do?
    Would it be even possible?
    Would it add dramatic commute time each day?
    And be emotionally and physically draining, knowing what city traffic can be like?

Would it be made more possible with access to a moped, if doing it on a bike was too lengthy/dangerous/difficult each day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

I googled mapped it.

Question I really have is, traffic wise and accessibility to bike paths etc, would this be major hassle to do?
    And be emotionally and physically draining, knowing what city traffic can be like?

Would it be made more possible with access to a moped, if doing it on a bike was too lengthy/dangerous/difficult each day?

I don’t suppose you could try it? Everyone is different and one person’s experience doesn’t automatically correlate with another’s.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

my thought - very possible.
    ranelagh to UCD is easy, short and direct.
    UCD to inchicore - reverse course, back through ranelagh, and turn onto the canal and stick with it.
    and reverse course again for the journey home.

regarding the time; UCD to inchicore is maybe 8km, you'd do that in about half an hour without busting yourself.
    ranelagh village itself is a bit of a mess, but i think they've been cordoning off the cycle lanes, but motorists are still likely to park in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I think you’d be mad not to cycle that route! If you’re new to cycling it will be intimidating at first, but once you get used to it, you’ll wonder why you even considered any other way of doing it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one factor you will have to consider is the security of bike parking available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I googled mapped it.

Are you aware of the cycling overview on Google Maps? It'll help you pick out the routes which have well-protected cycle lanes vs paved trails etc.

You can see how the Clonskeagh Road is a fairly decent cycling route (it's painted lines but it's also not a 'fast' road due to all the traffic lights, so cars aren't speeding too much). That'll get you from Ranelagh to UCD and back.

Then from Ranelagh to Inchicore it's essentially a painted cycle lane on the roads along the canal to Suir Road. I've cycled this a few times myself in the last couple of weeks and it's generally fine - a couple of junctions where you need to be more alert for cars moving to the left to undertake right turning cars.

Suir Road to Inchicore there's a paved trail on both sides of the canal, I'd probably stay on the northside of the canal because there's only one footbridge across that doesn't have stairs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

If I was making that round trip everyday, as in ranelagh -> UCD -> ranelagh -> inchicore -> ranelagh;

In terms of commute time, what would I be looking about?

I'm aware the distances,

V5c4Jvh.png?1

5CniNAA.png?1

Just factoring in traffic and ease of the actual commute, would I be talking maybe, an extra 1.5 hours per day for the full round trip, thereabouts?

15km/h would be a fair average to attain, so budget 4 mins per km.

Advertisement