Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Golf Staycation

• 18-06-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

In the current climate it looks like our only holiday over the summer will be staycation so with that in mind where are the best stay and plays in Ireland

Off too of my head a couple are
    Faithlegg
    Druids Glen/ Heath
    Knightsbrook
    Mount Wosley
    Mount Juliet
    The Heritage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

In the current climate it looks like our only holiday over the summer will be staycation so with that in mind where are the best stay and plays in Ireland

Off too of my head a couple are
    Faithlegg
    Druids Glen/ Heath
    Knightsbrook
    Mount Wosley
    Mount Juliet
    The Heritage

Fota, castlemartyr also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Rosepanna

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Kerry, we tend to stay in Scott’s in town center, it’s great value.

And loads of good quality courses to pick from at wide range of prices.

I rate that location over all the others you mentioned for range of courses, quality of accommodation and nightlife after golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Carton House would be up there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Rosapenna the winner for me.

Slieve Russell a worthy parkland choice.

Farnham Estate worth consideration too, especially with Co Cavan backing onto the estate.

But if you consider just how gargantuan sone of the aforementioned estates are, you should probably allow:

Royal County Down and Slieve Donard Hotel (Maybe a 5 iron)

Woodenbridge GC and Woodenbridge Hotel (a downhill 9 iron)

Rosses Point and Yeats Hotel (you could probably run a putt across the road and down the car park)

Ballyliffin GC and Ballyliffin Lodge. Okay this is more like a par 3 followed by a long par 5. But they are basically neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ollieboy wrote: »
    Kerry, we tend to stay in Scott’s in town center, it’s great value.

And loads of good quality courses to pick from at wide range of prices.

I rate that location over all the others you mentioned for range of courses, quality of accommodation and nightlife after golf.

Thought only listing places with a course attached. Cos I'd have said rent a place in Downings and have Rosapenna, Portsalon, ballyliffin within range. Completely forgetting the big hotel in Rosapenna

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Ballybunion / Lahinch.. you get the added bonus of the nice beaches and towns also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you go to Faithlegg you can play Mount Juliet open day on the way down, also play Waterford Castle when down there, bit rough around the edges but a good experience going across on the ferry and some super views

Can't go wrong with the Ballyliffins or the Rosapennas.

All have good local hotel and BnB options

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Tin_Cup

Tulfarris have a great setup with golf lodges, course, range etc class spot close to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    Carton House would be up there aswell.

Carton House Hotel is under construction, refurbishing the rooms and restaurant, so it may well not be open by the time others open. Great choice for the 2 courses once its back open again.

They already refurbished the clubhouse and shop, its top notch now.

• Advertisement

Lough Erne probably deserves a shout too, 2 courses as well.

Have not played there before myself but I do have a stay & play planned for right after they open up again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,670 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lough Erne probably deserves a shout too, 2 courses as well.

Have not played there before myself but I do have a stay & play planned for right after they open up again.

Respectfully the second course there (Hume) is pure muck, better off going into Enniskillen

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭blue note

I'd like to do a couple of days somewhere for a hold staycation too. I'll be picking someplace with a couple of courses nearby as opposed to having a course on site. So Donegal / sligo would be the first choices. But if it suits people to go closer, somewhere in the Midlands. You'll have tullamore, esker hills, athlone, Glasson, the heritage all a short drive away.

Is mullingar supposed to be a nice course too? And I've heard portarlington and birr are decent, but not amazing.

slave1 wrote: »
    Respectfully the second course there (Hume) is pure muck, better off going into Enniskillen

Good think I am playing the Faldo course then!

Good think I am playing the Faldo course then!

If you’re looking a second course, Enniskillen is nicer than Castle Hume. Not top drawer, but enjoyable.

If you don’t mind a half hour spin, Slieve Russell is a much better accompaniment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Going to go away 2nd week in July just overnight. Down to Faithlegg or Tulfarris. Any reason to choose one over the other

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

I’m probably going to play the Lough Erne & Links Challenge in July. Bit of a staycation in Donegal at the same time.

Going to go away 2nd week in July just overnight. Down to Faithlegg or Tulfarris. Any reason to choose one over the other

Played both. Tulfarris is the FAR superior course. Did not stay at the hotel there so I can't say how the accommodation was (looks nice from the outside?)

I did stay at Faithlegg and it was...meh. Would not return.

thewobbler wrote: »
    If you’re looking a second course, Enniskillen is nicer than Castle Hume. Not top drawer, but enjoyable.

If you don’t mind a half hour spin, Slieve Russell is a much better accompaniment

Played Slieve Russell several years ago with a friend who is a member, it is a superb course. Look forward to getting back again!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

Played Slieve Russell several years ago with a friend who is a member, it is a superb course. Look forward to getting back again!

great spot in summer. ground gets very wet in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

Have been to both for weddings in 2019. Faithlegg the far superior accomodation, great rooms and food and jack medes pub nearby which is great. Tulfarris looks fine from the outside but the rooms/breakfast really poor. Tulfarris superior golf course but not by a whole lot IMO.

dk1982 wrote: »
    Have been to both for weddings in 2019. Faithlegg the far superior accomodation, great rooms and food and jack medes pub nearby which is great. Tulfarris looks fine from the outside but the rooms/breakfast really poor. Tulfarris superior golf course but not by a whole lot IMO.

If you can also tie in a round at Rathsallagh, Tulfarris gets some big points to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Played both. Tulfarris is the FAR superior course. Did not stay at the hotel there so I can't say how the accommodation was (looks nice from the outside?)

I did stay at Faithlegg and it was...meh. Would not return.
    dk1982 wrote: »

been a while now since i stayed in either of them but recollection is same as dk, faithlegg was nicer accommodation. course in tulferris probably better, but not much in it.

incidentally you mentioned mount woolsely earlier, don't go there. stayed last Halloween, service was shocking, and it is far from the standard it set when it was a prime location 20 years ago.

if i were you, pick faithlegg out of them two options... they used to do a deal to play 3 courses, including MJ and Waterford Castle.

but if you want a treat, a one stop shop for a don't leave the premises type of weekend, got to Mount Juliet.... Hunters Yard rooms are a bit cheaper but 5 star quality. The Manor house, just luxury and worth at least a try once time. eat a fancy dinner in the lady helen one of the nights. you deserve a treat, this is about as good as they come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

I booked tulferris for a few reasons
    1. The deal was better
    2. We have a lunch voucher for glendalough and
    3. Neither of us has played it before. He's played Faithlegg.

Looking forward to the stay now. Will report back afterwards.
    Mount Juliet definitely on the cards for the future as a big treat and to see how the other half live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

I looked at something similar up around Carne/Enniscrone but the cost was prohibitive

• Registered Users Posts: 21,093 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

slingerz wrote: »
    I looked at something similar up around Carne/Enniscrone but the cost was prohibitive

Unusual and disappointed to hear that for this neck of the woods. You can get a triple room in The Broadhaven Bay Hotel in Belmullet for €99, B&B. That's not per person, it's for 3 in a room.

Happy to give more recommendations if you need. I would be very surprised if you didn't get a good deal in Belmullet.

The last two times I've been down there in big groups we were very well looked after. Free round (or 2 in some cases) for the group in nearly every pub we visited as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Lefty2Guns

The golf society I'm involved with goes away once a year for 3 nights and 2 rounds of golf. Have to say Fota Island set up is top notch, from the options on the course to the club house and hotel facilities. Great value too.

Our last trip was to Farnham Estate in September. The course is a challenge with some difficult holes but unfortunately the drainage is a mess and your basically playing on a bog at times. Kind of ruined the weekend for us. One plus is Cavan town is only down the road so was a great option for pints later on as the hotel set up didn't really tailor for golf societies.

Bunclody is another option if still open. Fantastic course and the town is on the door step for food and drink.

Advertisement