Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to/through the UK this summer

Options
  • 18-06-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone had any problems driving from Holyhead/Fishguard across Wales in recent weeks?
    Have there been any police checkpoints preventing onward travel to England?
    We're due to travel Dublin-Holyhead mid July, but would switch to Dublin-Liverpool if Wales was problematic.

Anglesey is particularly badly hit.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-53091149
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,345 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Friend of mine drove over a few weeks ago to take care of an urgent domestic matter in the south of England. She had no problem at all with the cops, the only thing she noted was the complete difference in road signage concerning the virus between Wales and England.

The roads in Wales were full of signs about precautions to obersve during the pandemic - stay at home, no congregating etc. When she crossed the border into England, the signage came to an abrupt stop.

Another thing she remarked on was the absence of responsible behaviour on the ferry. A certain section of the Irish community seemed to be completely unaware of the guidelines on social distancing and basically sat anywhere that took their fancy. My friend had to constantly move seats to maintain the recommend 2m separation. The same group of travellers passengers were seriously p1ssed off when they discovered that the bars were closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The difference in signage was understandable as the Welsh government had not (?has not) lifted movement restrictions meaning no long drives whereas in England long drives were possible but no overnights. Writing it down makes it sound so ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,654 ✭✭✭✭josip

coylemj wrote: »
    Friend of mine drove over a few weeks ago to take care of an urgent domestic matter in the south of England. She had no problem at all with the cops, ...

Does that mean there were no checkpoints, or there were checkpoints but they were ok with her reason for driving through Wales?

josip wrote: »
    Does that mean there were no checkpoints, or there were checkpoints but they were ok with her reason for driving through Wales?

She wasn't stopped anywhere. No checkpoints in Wales or England.

Wales plan to lift travel restrictions from the 6th of July

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-politics-53090890

• Advertisement

They couldn't possibly throw up checkpoints on the roads linking Fishguard and Holyhead to England, there would be 20 mile tailbacks in no time. There are dozens if not hundreds of trucks coming and going between GB and Ireland every day.

coylemj wrote: »
    They couldn't possibly throw up checkpoints on the roads linking Fishguard and Holyhead to England, there would be 20 mile tailbacks in no time. There are dozens if not hundreds of trucks coming and going between GB and Ireland every day.

It'd be fairly easily to wave the HGVs (and commercial vehicles) through and only check the private motorists.
    Set up the checkpoints a few kms outside a town on the A55 and you wouldn't be left with many to check over the past few weeks.
    All moot now anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Small hijack of thread. I plan to go to Poland this July. The Uk govt side is kinda confusing. Couldnt get proper info about what happens when I go thru France to get back? Would that be a transition to Ireland or would I need to take into account quarantine?

yoshiktk wrote: »
    Small hijack of thread. I plan to go to Poland this July. The Uk govt side is kinda confusing. Couldnt get proper info about what happens when I go thru France to get back? Would that be a transition to Ireland or would I need to take into account quarantine?

Our situation is similar and as things stand, I think we would be expected to quarantine somewhere within the UK for 14 days when entering from France.
    I think that it is very unlikely to be a requirement by the time we return.
    In the event that it is, our plan is to give an address of some hotel in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭yoshiktk

Our situation is similar and as things stand, I think we would be expected to quarantine somewhere within the UK for 14 days when entering from France.
    I think that it is very unlikely to be a requirement by the time we return.
    In the event that it is, our plan is to give an address of some hotel in Northern Ireland.

I will be coming back around 24 of July, hopefuly the quarantine be over by then. Question is, would they require a confirmation of booking the hotel?
    Just a thought, if I had to stay in Uk extra 14 days, in worst case scenario, would social qualify it under Covid19 payment?
    The mess is really irritating. Couldnt go for my Paps funeral and now even simple travel is uncertain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement