Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Beginner

Options
  • 15-06-2020 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Mods move this or delete this if it’s not ok and apologies if this is asked already, I searched but couldn’t find an answer.

Thinking of taking up golf as it’s always been on my bucket list and now that I can work from home indefinitely, a couple of us from work are gonna try it out.

So was thinking of getting some clubs in sports direct and trying out the driving range and then some lessons.

And hopefully after that if I like the game joining fun laoghaire as that’s the club that’s suits us all.

Would really appreciate any advice on starting out or is the above the way to go.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Get lessons as early as you can so you'll learn good habits straight away. There's great value on adverts and done deal for second hand clubs. Don't spend big money straight away. If you enjoy the game you'll probably look to upgrade your setup later on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Get lessons as early as you can so you'll learn good habits straight away. There's great value on adverts and done deal for second hand clubs. Don't spend big money straight away. If you enjoy the game you'll probably look to upgrade your setup later on

Wise advice. Spend your money on lessons, to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Join a golf society. Work or local pubs usually have one. Boards.ie golf society also.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Don't do it, it will only drive you mad. Only joking 😂. I'm playing a few years on and off now and if I could go back to day 1 I would be going and getting lessons straight away.
    Plus be patient with it, it won't happen overnight for you. But when you get hooked their is no way back

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭higster

DO This ^^ & stick with the lessons.

Don’t think you tube videos (I got addicted) or advice from you’re buddies or magazines etc “will do”. They will not.

Biggest mistake I did not to follow this advice. Paying for it 3 years later!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Agree 100%. Lessons to start off with will make the most difference long term. So much more difficult to unlearn all the bad habits you will definitely pick up if you don’t go with lessons straight away.

But you need to be very patient, it’s not a sport where you can achieve a decent level in a few weeks, even perhaps months

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Doctor Bojangles

I'm a beginner at the moment and I'm taking lessons.

It's 100% the way to go I think it's given me a good place to build from.

I wonder what's the next step for a beginner after lessons?

Does anyone know are there beginners societies or anything like that?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I'm a beginner at the moment and I'm taking lessons.

It's 100% the way to go I think it's given me a good place to build from.

I wonder what's the next step for a beginner after lessons?

Does anyone know are there beginners societies or anything like that?

Thanks

Any society worth its salt will be happy to have a beginner in it. Societies are made up of lads who love playing and enjoy the day out

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Iang87 wrote: »
    Any society worth its salt will be happy to have a beginner in it. Societies are made up of lads who love playing and enjoy the day out

I'd second that. As a beginner I was paranoid about what others thought and played on my own. Reality is no one cares, your game affects no one else once you don't spend ages practicing before each shot and maybe pick up of having a nightmare hole and are way over.

Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

Ryder wrote: »
    I'd second that. As a beginner I was paranoid about what others thought and played on my own. Reality is no one cares, your game affects no one else once you don't spend ages practicing before each shot and maybe pick up of having a nightmare hole and are way over.

I'm Secretary of the local pub society. We have a whole range of levels from 4 handicap to beginners. We play 1 course per month from March to October. Many of the members only play these outings and are not club members.
    Apart from learning golf, experiencing different courses and competitions, there is great craic and it's a great way to make new golf friends and get to know people in the neighbourhood.
    That and try practicing on a range if you're near one.

Would it be worth joining a golf club as a beginner? Would some of them have societies for beginners?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Would it be worth joining a golf club as a beginner? Would some of them have societies for beginners?

Big time, best thing i ever did was join a golf club, dont worry being a beginner, people generally only focus on their own game anyway

Stacksey wrote: »
    Big time, best thing i ever did was join a golf club, dont worry being a beginner, people generally only focus on their own game anyway

Thanks.

Is there any difference between a 5 day membership to a 7 day other than not being able to play at the weekends?
    Is there anything else Id be missing out on with the 5 day pass? Do the societies play Saturdays do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Depends on the club what limitations there is. Some have different restrictions in place for 5 day members. ( No eligable to win captains prize etc)

Most societies would play a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Clubs themselves don't have/run societies as such. Societies are run by pubs, places of work, etc and the organiser of the society would ring up golf clubs to try to arrange a day where the society can play at the clubs' course. So a society may typically have 5-10 outings in a year, usually each outing is at a different course.

Golf clubs themselves have different types of competitions, some just for the members of their own club, some are open to members of any club, and some are matches between clubs. But this is totally separate to societies.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Question from a beginner(ish) here as well.

If myself and a friend join the same Golf Club & play three rounds together can we sign each others cards for submission towards a handicap? Or does the card have to be signed by somebody with a GUI handicap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Frisbee wrote: »

If myself and a friend join the same Golf Club & play three rounds together can we sign each others cards for submission towards a handicap? Or does the card have to be signed by somebody with a GUI handicap?

When i got my handicap it had to be signed by a current member. May have changed since though

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭REFLINE1

Frisbee wrote: »

has to be signed by a member with a GUI hcap AFAIK

Advertisement