Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Decrypto (Game 2)

• 17-06-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭

Welcome to the second game of Boards Decrypto. A recap of the rules for all players:

How it works:
    Decrypto is a communication game where players compete in two teams. Each team is trying to correctly interpret the coded messages presented to them by their codemaster while cracking the codes they intercept from the opposing team. Each team has a codemaster and guessers. The job of the codemaster is to convey the passcode to your team using clues. The job of the guessers is to guess the code. We can play with a minimum of 4 players (2 per team) and a maximum of 8 players (4 per team).

How a round works:
    The game takes place over a number of rounds (maximum 8 rounds). Each team gets 4 secret keywords which all correspond to a number 1-4. Each round, the codemaster receives a 3 number code which they have to communicate to their team using clues. Eg, in the game below, the codemaster has been given the code 4-2-1. The codemaster gives the clues, JUMPER, HOUSE, CAMERA to their team on thread. The team correctly guesses the code is 4-2-1 and they win the round! Hurrah!

1.| 2.| 3.| 4.
    PHOTO|PROPERTY|AUDIENCE|CLOTHES

BUT WAIT!
    Since the clues are given on thread, and keywords do not change throughout the entire game, each team will gradually reveal information about their keywords to the opposing team. This will potentially allow your opponents to intercept the codes you’re trying to transmit. If they can guess the code correctly, they win a point! Each opposing team gets the opportunity to guess the code before your team can take a guess. Correctly intercept a code twice and your team wins the game! (note: the intercept step doesn’t happen on the first round) So codemasters! Make your clues obscure enough that only your team can guess the code!

BUT WAIT SOME MORE!
    Codemasters, if you make your clues TOO obscure and your teammates fail to guess the code, then you lose a point. Guess incorrectly twice and your team instantly loses the game!
    Once both teams have made a guess on the code, the game mod reveals the code and awards points accordingly. If no one has won (or lost) the game, the round ends and the next codemaster (a different team member each round) gets the next code.
    The order of which team’s code is guessed first will be randomly picked at the start of the game and will alternate for each round.

Ending the game:
    The first team to correctly intercept 2 of their opponent’s codes, wins the game, or
    The first team to fail to guess their own code twice, loses the game, or
    If no team has won by the end of the 8th round, the game is ended and the team with the most points wins. +1 point for an intercept, -1 point for a failed guess.

In case of a draw, each team will take their best guesses at what the opposing team’s keywords are. Most correct guesses, wins. After that, it’s a fight to the death.

Tip:
    Teams should keep track of all clues used to convey a code to the other team so you can build up a bank of clues that you can use to potentially guess the passcode.
    Eg:
    |WORD 1|WORD 2|WORD 3|WORD4
    R1|Camera|House| |Jumper
    R2|Screen|Kitchen|Theatre |
    R3| |Sell|Concert|Hat
    RULES ON CLUES:
    1. Codemasters cannot give any further clues or make any comments to their team while their team is conferring on their code. All team members can confer when discussing the opposing teams clue.
    2. The Clues must refer to the meaning of the Keywords. The Clues must not refer to the spelling (“C” to hint at “Cursed”), the number of letters (“8” or “8 letters” to hint at “Scorpion”), the position on the Screen (“musketeers” to hint at the word in the third position), or pronunciation (“face” to make your team guess “Place”).
    3. The Clues must be based on information that is publicly available. You can certainly refer to obscure Croatian poets of the 17th Century—it’s risky, but allowed! However, you may NEVER refer to “private” items, like what you ate for lunch or little sweet nothings between you and your spouse. (may not be applicable for a boards game wink.png)
    4. If you are unsure whether a clue is valid, please ask the game mod.
    5. All clues must be posted on thread by the codemaster. Each team can confer privately (on discord, whatsapp or by whatever way suits best) but guesses are made on thread. Each team should nominate a speaker and codemaster at the start of each round. Both teams have 24 hours to agree their choice. You MUST allow the opposing team to make a guess BEFORE your team makes their guess.
    6. You cannot change, modify, or improve a clue once it has been posted
    7. You cannot use the same clue more than once per game
    8. You cannot reveal the code on the Code card – the game mod will confirm correct or incorrect guesses when the round is complete.
    9. You cannot use the Keywords as clues (or their translation in another language), not even as a clue for a different Keyword.

Website used to generate the words:

https://randomwordgenerator.com/noun.php
    (some words that are unsuitable may need to be discounted, mod will use their discretion)

Official rules of the game:

https://www.fgbradleys.com/rules/rules6/Decrypto%20-%20rules.pdf
    (some rules have been slightly amended to suit an online version)

All keywords have now been sent out. Can both teams please nominate a codemaster for Round 1? I'll send out the first set of codes then and we'll hopefully kick this off tomorrow.

Team 1
    Sully
    Electric Nitwit
    Kolido
    MacDanger

Team 2
    Clarabel
    Osh
    Green&Red
    sKeith

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Clarabel is our first codemaster Molly

• Registered Users Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Just trying to assemble our team on discord :)

First codemaster: sullivlo :)

We don't have MacDanger on board yet but we'll let sulli get the code and fire out the first clues, hopefully we'll have them by then

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I am excite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Codes have been sent to codemasters.

Please note in this game I'm allowed short phrases up to 5 words long to describe a clue to a codeword.

There will be no intercept stage in Round 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Clarabel

Hamilton
    University
    It's a cereals

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Team 1
    Clue 1

Traffic
    Fruit
    Bloomsday

sullivlo wrote: »
    Team 1
    Clue 1

Traffic
    Fruit
    Bloomsday

1 4 2 please :)

1 4 2 please :)

That is correct. Well done Team 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

4-3-2 for us please Molly

• Advertisement

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    That is correct. Well done Team 1.

Can I discuss with my team the rationale behind the clues I gave?

Green&Red wrote: »
    4-3-2 for us please Molly
    That is correct. Well done Team 2. Please select a new codemaster for Round 2.

sullivlo wrote: »
    Can I discuss with my team the rationale behind the clues I gave?
    I'm actually not sure if this is considered in the rules. The closest rule I can find is this one:
    "Any information you give to your team as an Encryptor must be given to the opposing team as well".

So if you want to explain the reasoning, you can do it on thread only. No discussing clues in the backroom.

Team 1
    Sully
    Electric Nitwit
    Kolido
    MacDanger
    We're codemastering in this order, so I'm next please

MacDanger still hasn't checked in though. I think we'll play on, hopefully they appear soon

We’ll be In this order.

Clarabel
    Skeith
    Osh
    Green&red

So skeith up next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭MacDanger

We're codemastering in this order, so I'm next please

MacDanger still hasn't checked in though. I think we'll play on, hopefully they appear soon

Sorry I'm late, here now and will be on tomorrow

That is correct. Well done Team 2. Please select a new codemaster for Round 2.

I'm actually not sure if this is considered in the rules. The closest rule I can find is this one:
    "Any information you give to your team as an Encryptor must be given to the opposing team as well".

So if you want to explain the reasoning, you can do it on thread only. No discussing clues in the backroom.

Grand job. Just wanted to check before I said anything in case I inadvertently cheated. I didn't mention anything in the backroom and now I won't :)

Warming up here, I'm almost ready!

AP9XxP.gif

Codes for Round 2 have been sent.
    Both teams please remember that the opposing team gets a chance to intercept BEFORE you make your guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Team 2 Round 2

Put together
    Noise
    Crash

Team 1 - Round 2

EUROPEAN - DESIGN - COOK

• Advertisement

Ok so Team 1 you can now attempt to intercept Team 2's code. Team 2 you can also attempt to intercept Team 1's code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

Can the teams please check the order of the clues.

they are given out in a certain order and if that is muddled, well, wouldn't that be terrible.

I can see how that would be a problem alright

We’re going to try 2 3 4 to intercept

"Any information you give to your team as an Encryptor must be given to the opposing team as well"
    sKeith wrote: »
    Can the teams please check the order of the clues.

they are given out in a certain order and if that is muddled, well, wouldn't that be terrible.
    tenor.gif

I mean, is that far removed from publicly saying "Clara is right, osh is wrong"?

osh wrote: »
    We’re going to try 2 3 4 to intercept

That is incorrect. Team 1 can now attempt to guess their code.

tenor.gif

I mean, is that far removed from publicly saying "Clara is right, osh is wrong"?

Pretty much exactly the same

sKeith wrote: »
    Team 2 Round 2

Put together
    Noise
    Crash

Our intercept attempt is 4 3 1 please

Our intercept attempt is 4 3 1 please

That is incorrect. Team 2 can now attempt to guess their code.

• Advertisement

tenor.gif

Less whinging more guessing

Advertisement