Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bus Éireann Zero/Low Emissions Bus Trials

• 17-06-2020 9:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Dublin Bus have there own thread on their new hybrid/electric demonstrator buses, so with the news that Bus Éireann are going to trial some buses, I thought I should start a new thread on it rather than lump it into the Dublin Bus one. Mods, if you want, you could combine the two and rename the other one to encompass the two companies?

Anyway, the NTA have ordered three hydrogen fuel cell buses to trial on the Bus Éireann route 103 early next year. Interesting that they've gone for hydrogen fuel cell and not hybrid to match the Dublin Bus order, but maybe they'll order some to test in the future as well.

See the Dublin Inquirer article here.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That specific deal was announced by the NTA some months ago, the order was placed in January, funny that some media are only picking up on it now :)

Almost like it's been given another little push to win over the membership of a certain party for a forthcoming ballot....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Are the buses they're getting coaches or double deck city style buses

They're Wrightbus Streetdeck derived double decker buses.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

devnull wrote: »
    That specific deal was announced by the NTA some months ago, the order was placed in January, funny that some media are only picking up on it now :)

Almost like it's been given another little push to win over the membership of a certain party for a forthcoming ballot....

Nah, the journalist requested documents relating to it from the NTA through FOI last month and got them back recently. I can vouch for that :P

Was it actually announced before? I know it was the January NTA board minutes but I don't remember hearing it in the media.

There was an article in the Northern Irish press some months ago about Wrightbus doing a deal with Translink for vehicles and also talking about them missing out on the NTA order that ADL won, which also said briefly that the NTA had however confirmed that they would be taking delivery of 3 hydrogen powered buses from Bamford.

Maybe announced was the wrong word, but the news was certainly revealed publicly some months ago, before the NTA minutes were published in May, but perhaps today is just the day when the official announcement with full details was released.

I didn't even know it was in the NTA minutes until now!

• Advertisement

devnull wrote: »
    There was an article in the Northern Irish press some months ago about Wrightbus doing a deal with Translink for vehicles and also talking about them missing out on the NTA order that ADL won, which also said briefly that the NTA had however confirmed that they would be taking delivery of 3 hydrogen powered buses from Bamford.

Maybe announced was the wrong word, but the news was certainly revealed publicly some months ago, before the NTA minutes were published in May, but perhaps today is just the day when the official announcement with full details was released.

I didn't even know it was in the NTA minutes until now!
    There was no announcement from the NTA about it. He put the questions to the NTA himself when he got the FOI back from them.

He must have chased it down when he saw that nobody else picked up on it.

CatInABox wrote: »
    Anyway, the NTA have ordered three hydrogen fuel cell buses to trial on the Bus Éireann route 103 early next year. Interesting that they've gone for hydrogen fuel cell and not hybrid to match the Dublin Bus order, but maybe they'll order some to test in the future as well.

There was an opportunity with the Translink order and the Energia electrolyser in Armagh so the NTA just jumped on it. DTTAS wanted to test them as part of their alternative fuels trial last year but it just wasn't feasible for a short trial.

Advertisement