Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people so pre-occupied with America

Options
  • 17-06-2020 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭

I personally have no interest in America, but an awful of irish people seem to have an interest in America and I curious to as why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It's not just here. The US dominates global culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Social media outrage culture.

Your man Zuckerberg should be blasted into space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

It provides good distraction for the Chinese who are up to much worse human rights abuses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

So you are preoccupied by Irish people who are preoccupied by America :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Celebrity worship. Social media zombies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

It's caused by constant media reporting (both mainstream and social media) and also people's programmes disappering off platforms like Netflix because someone is 'offended'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭thomil

In addition to the points made above, you’d better keep up to speed on a country that can basically park an air base of your coast and bomb your country into the stone age, or simply air drop an entire division onto your heads at minimum notice. While China is certainly gearing up to replace the US in that regard, they’re nowhere near that capability yet, and also have nowhere near the cultural or social impact on the western world that the US have.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Social media outrage culture.

Your man Zuckerberg should be blasted into space.
    5555555555 wrote: »
    Celebrity worship. Social media zombies.

People often say that Irish obsession with the US began because of social media, but that's obviously not true. It goes all the way back to the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

I like America, but unlike many here I am able to distinguish that Ireland and the USA are not the same country. I cannot understand why anyone here would have any reason to dislike Trump for instance as he as done nothing to us or why anyone here would get carried away by this BLM rubbish all because an African American criminal got killed by a cop. Nothing to do with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Whilst a lot of it is beyond boring we get a lot of our entertainment from the US and share a language by and large which makes it easy to digest. They are our next door neighbour and whilst it’s a long way away Lots of Irish have family and friends there along with lots of us working for American companies. Our economy is probably exposed to theirs due to the amount of multinationals we have. Unfortunately we also live in a time where the cult of celebrity is never done ramming someone down our throats and American media excels at this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Kylta wrote: »
    I personally have no interest in America, but an awful of irish people seem to have an interest in America and I curious to as why?

There's lot of Irish in America.
    They speak English, therefore we absorb their popular culture in books, film, toys, hobbies, music and TV. The US in the late 20th century was seen as 'the place where it happened'.
    US politics was always seen as important in Ireland, Irish politicians in the past would have tried to involve the US as an honest broker in the Troubles in N Ireland.
    We have a lot of major US companies based here.

However, I don't think US influence on Ireland has grown since say the days of Reagan in the above spheres.
    The internet has brought the world closer together, if you follow US websites, you are exposed to a lot more of their content than when it was 'mediated' through Irish outlets.
    Another thing that has changed is the amount of space devoted to US politics in Irish news and media. I could be wrong on this but, for example, I don't remember US primary elections getting the amount of coverage they get now on RTE. We now seem to be exposed to the minutiae of US national politics, as if they are stories of major importance to Ireland, usually with a very pro-Democrat liberal agenda.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Another thing that has changed is the amount of space devoted to US politics in Irish news and media. I could be wrong on this but, for example, I don't remember US primary elections getting the amount of coverage they get now on RTE. We now seem to be exposed to the minutiae of US national politics, as if they are stories of major importance.

Primaries have grown in importance over recent decades. Candidates used to be picked in a much quieter fashion closer to the convention.

I've heard Americans make the same complaint about now being bombarded with election news over the course of years. It's not a change unique to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's not just here. The US dominates global culture.

For now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,549 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

History books, bonds and ties mainly.

Primaries have grown in importance over recent decades. Candidates used to be picked in a much quieter fashion closer to the convention.
    I've heard Americans make the same complaint about now being bombarded with election news over the course of years. It's not a change unique to Ireland.

You could be right on the profile of primaries in the US, but what seems curious to me is that its higher profile also jumped across the Atlantic to us.
    The coverage it gets in mainstream Irish news seems totally out of proportion to its actual impact on our lives.
    Compare the amount of (non Brexit related) coverage of EU institutions which actually make far more decisions that impact us than the US federal government.

You could say US politics has a celebrity factor as much as a politics factor.
    Maybe the people crafting the news today grew up watching the West Wing.
    Maybe it's an outlet for those people to express their opinions on US politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

It's the world's largest economy, the home to the largest number of Irish diaspora by far, they speak the same language as us so therefore we are much more likely to consume movies / tv shows / media from there than from other similarly large countries like China or Japan who produce content in a language very few of us understand. Our economy is hugely influenced by their's thanks to the amount of American multinationals based here.

And they are generally the most influential country in the world in so many ways that affect our lives, politically, economically and culturally. Just in terms of posting on this thread, with the exception of a very small number of people, everyone accessing this website will be doing so through operating systems and web browsers developed by Google, Microsoft, Mozilla or Apple, all of whom are American.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Google, Facebook, Microsoft to name but a few, working for US companies, emigration by Irish people to the states, television, film, books, and that is just the start.

It would be more surprising if they was no interest in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

For now.

Well the Chinese sure won't be taking over unless they decide to speak English as first language and no one else is going to be as dominant on a global scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,893 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Well the Chinese sure won't be taking over unless they decide to speak English as first language and no one else is going to be as dominant on a global scale.

You realise language can be translated?

It's kind of funny when Western countries were falling over each other and pretty much stealing PPE from each other all manufactured by...guess who?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Is this a serious question?

Because the vast majority of the TV programs and movies we watch, products we buy, news and media we consume, websites we visit, companies we work for are either American or have strong links to the US.

You cannot escape the USA, its in your face 24/7, 365 days a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

You realise language can be translated?

It's kind of funny when Western countries were falling over each other and pretty much stealing PPE from each other all manufactured by...guess who?

Guess who gave the world the pandemic?

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Is this a serious question?
    Because the vast majority of the TV programs and movies we watch, products we buy, news and media we consume, websites we visit, companies we work for are either American or have strong links to the US.
    You cannot escape the USA, its in your face 24/7, 365 days a year.

Certainly we consume a significant amount of American content, but I think vast majority overstates it.
    We also consume a huge amount of Chinese & UK products & EU products (especially cars, food, wine, cosmetics).
    Just the UK soaps alone would mean the vast majority of TV we watch in this country isn't American. And that's just for starters.

I don't think using google and gmail means that the USA is in my face.
    If you use Facebook or Twitter you may not even be following any American content on it.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Certainly we consume a significant amount of American content, but I think vast majority overstates it.
    We also consume a huge amount of Chinese & UK products & EU products (especially cars, food, wine, cosmetics).
    Just the UK soaps alone would mean the vast majority of TV we watch in this country isn't American. And that's just for starters.

I don't think using google and gmail means that the USA is in my face.
    If you use Facebook or Twitter you may not even be following any American content on it.

We don't consume much media that doesn't come from the US, UK or possibly Australia. We use a lot of Chinese products, but Irish people would have very, very little exposure to Chinese culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Friends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

It's funny that many Irish people consume American media (Netflix, American TV Shows) yet so few watch CNN International. Technically it's actually the UK version but still American based.

Am I the few people who watch CNN International? I'm technically not Irish as I was born in East Africa and lived in the States for some time.

We don't consume much media that doesn't come from the US, UK or possibly Australia. We use a lot of Chinese products, but Irish people would have very, very little exposure to Chinese culture.

I don't even think the vast majority of imported content - except movies - is American.
    And I don't think the vast majority of TV shows we watch is American.
    Look at the top shows in the TV viewing figures in Ireland for domestic and UK shows, or the top selling books.
    Certainly the vast majority of imported content is from the 'Anglosphere', but not specifically America e.g. the BBC, the Premier League, Home & Away, Harry Potter, to give some random examples.

And your China example goes to show we can consume the products without having to be exposed to the culture.

It's funny that many Irish people consume American media (Netflix, American TV Shows) yet so few watch CNN International. Technically it's actually the UK version but still American based.
    Am I the few people who watch CNN International? I'm technically not Irish as I was born in East Africa and lived in the States for some time.

I think people would watch Sky News more, probably largely because it was one of the channels on the old analogue lineup with NTL \ UPC \ Virgin Media.
    Or BBC News 24 now.

CNN wouldn't register really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Not so sure about ‘chinese products’. Maybe products manufactured in asia by US companies. Samsung phones are no longer made in China, obviously some components will be. An iPhone may be manufactured in China but it was designed in the US, and most of the components were designed in US / UK etc, not China.

Personally I own very few items that were manufactured by Chinese owned firms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I cannot understand why anyone here would have any reason to dislike Trump for instance as he as done nothing to us

Agree to some degree but what the POTUS does can have a massive effect on Ireland.

The 2008 crash fúcked this country up yet it was American made. Dell pulled manufacturing out of Ireland and we lost 5% of all exports.

The GOP for some weird reason tend to treat environmental policies with total disdain. A constant game of the Dems implementing regulations and the GOP rolling them back. Of all the things leveled against him, many of them flimsy, Trumps environmental policies are indefensible and fairly abhorrent.

And look Bush's mental foreign policy (and his Dads which was excellent) and see how it can impact the world.

Etc etc.

• Advertisement

Not so sure about ‘chinese products’. Maybe products manufactured in asia by US companies. Samsung phones are no longer made in China, obviously some components will be. An iPhone may be manufactured in China but it was designed in the US, and most of the components were designed in US / UK etc, not China.
    Personally I own very few items that were manufactured by Chinese owned firms.

Samsung aren't American either though.
    But I don't think such products are the real reason we spend so much focus on America.

Do Irish people follow Japanese culture because of the Playstation?
    Or South Korean culture because they drive a Hyundai?
    I think if you worked for Hyundai or one of their suppliers you would.

Lots of people here enjoy French wine and French cuisine, but it doesn't usually inspire them to pay more attention to what's happening in French politics (even if we ignored the language barrier),

Advertisement