Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Union calls for Ireland Night Time Commission

• 15-06-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭

NBRU are now all for 24/7 transport service. I wonder how populor that will go down with members?

Keeps them in jobs I supose...they are obviously worried.

Apart from Bus/Luas its a crazey idea. Irish Rail night services lose money at Christmas/NY.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/buses-and-trains-must-run-around-clock-post-covid-19-1.4278854
    Buses and trains should run on a 24-hour basis to facilitate a round-the-clock society which would see businesses trade through the night in the post-Covid world, transport workers have urged.

The National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU), in a submission to the Oireachtas Covid-19 committee, suggested the establishment of an “Ireland Night Time Commission” which would “look at how we might sustain and grow economic/social activity across the 24-hour cycle”.

It said that irrespective of whether social distancing restrictions were set at one metre or two metres, there could be no going back to the days of passengers “squeezed like sardines” on buses, trains and trams.

The NBRU said capacity restrictions meant that up to 35 million passenger journeys a year which were made previously could not be accommodated in the future.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you want to have a service industry in the city centre, you either provide 24h transport or you provide social/affordable housing in the city centre. The latter is never going to happen with the incoming government, so the former has to. Well, you could also have a Danish level of wages but that's never going to happen with them either!

A co-ordinated night network based around Luas and rail with bus infill rather than all three networks running all night is what make sense.

As goes businesses trading later - its entirely likely this will have to happen to get the required sales volume through distanced stores, salons, cinemas etc. Its not just based on nothing by the NBRU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Xterminator

spot the person who doesn't work nights. Well done for you, try a little empathy for others who work unusual hours. they pay tax too.

24 hrs public transport is overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

spot the person who doesn't work nights. Well done for you, try a little empathy for others who work unusual hours. they pay tax too.

24 hrs public transport is overdue.

I am all for a 24hr bus service and potentially Luas (even just weekends) and something I mentioned on Covid discussion in terms of downturn and allocating driver resources instead of cuts.

When the call comes from a transport union who just a few weeks ago said there is no need for a metro to proceed most might be suspisious of the motives.

They are not advocating on the public's behald that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Bus drivers deserve our utmost respect. They are Gods.

If night shifts are introduced they deserve a minimum of 50% payrise. I'd even go for double pay. Their human rights are nearly being abused as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

You mean Wexford might get more than 3 trains to and from Dublin a day.. I doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If night shifts are introduced they deserve a minimum of 50% payrise. I'd even go for double pay. Their human rights are nearly being abused as it is.

Would you drive a bus through Tallaght, Mulhuddart, Darndale, Ballymun etc etc at 1 am? (or night time in general actually).

Drivers should be paid more to work certain routes at night imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

we could do with improving daytime schedules first. We don't all live in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,980 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I am all for a 24hr bus service and potentially Luas (even just weekends) and something I mentioned on Covid discussion in terms of downturn and allocating driver resources instead of cuts.

When the call comes from a transport union who just a few weeks ago said there is no need for a metro to proceed most might be suspisious of the motives.

They are not advocating on the public's behald that's for sure.

tbh i don't care about their reasons or who they are advocating for, they support 24 hour services which is what i and many others want.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Would you drive a bus through Tallaght, Mulhuddart, Darndale, Ballymun etc etc at 1 am? (or night time in general actually).

I've driven buses through Tallaght (including areas like Jobstown and Fortunestown) late at night and never felt at risk. People should be paid more to work at night because of the detrimental effect night working can have on your health and quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

As I said at the time, it's something different every couple of weeks lately. It'll be something else random in a couple of weeks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

On the busier routes yes on the quieter routes no. No need for any of the Go-Ahead routes to be 24 hours but the busier DB routes should be definitely be 24hrs. The 15 and 41 being 24 hours seems to have been a sucess at least until covid so why expand that to least 6 or 7 other routes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cut out the trolling -- thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

Did you think the Dublin bikes would end up in the Liffey, the RTPI poles destroyed and every USB port on the bus stuffed with chewing gum? The 15 and 41 are running 24/7 now in Dublin and the 220 in Cork and I have yet to hear any reports of serious anti social behaviour occuring on those routes between the hours of 23:30 and 06:00 on those routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Once again the union just desperately trying to make noise and be relevant, like a couple of weeks ago on whatever that topic way.

Advertisement