Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT / Car abroad query

Options
  • 15-06-2020 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for advice.

I'm Irish and have a car registered / insured in Dublin.

I've to go over to work in Portugal for 6 months and at the same time i also am planning to buy a new car.

I was looking at buying a UK car, then as i am ligitmately working in Portugal from an Irish company living abroad. I should be excempt from the VRT and NoX tax bringing it back to Ireland at the end of the year correct?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,877 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You have to have been non resident for a year and own the vehicle for 6 months to get the exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Log-on

Del2005 wrote: »
    You have to have been non resident for a year and own the vehicle for 6 months to get the exemption.

Hey Del,

Sorry i missed a part

I've been in Portugal Since last Apill (bar a month in the summer and feb + march).

I'm back in Ireland now for a few weeks then going back.

Cars in Portugal are much more expensive then the UK let alone Ireland hence this, cars here are nearly 40% more expensive then Ireland.

I should be fine with the residency requirment correct?

Advertisement