Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best charging card for Italy?

Options
  • 29-05-2020 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Going to drive over to South Tyrol on Wednesday via Austria.

Wondering if anyone has experience with Charging in Italy ? I've checked Chargemap and the charging network seems a bit patchy, is there some sort of italian community app that will show all charging stations and the networks they use.

Enel X seem to have the most stations and I've found they have a roaming agreement with Maingau so will use that first and if Maingau fails back to Enel X.

Any other tips with regards to parking in Cities/Towns, is there parking charges for EVs ?

Cards wise I currently have Maingau, Plugsurfing and Chargepoint and the Enel X App as it seems they chargers function with APP anyways.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

516424.png

Just arrived back from the 2 week roadtrip.

FYI the best 2 apps for Italy are Juicepass (Enel X) and Nextcharge as the Enel X app will just charge per kwh and not whatever the local weird billing model is (flat 2 hours or per minute + kwh)

Maingau works on most of the Rapid Chargers

Italy has excellent Charging infrastructure, early every village had at least a 22kw Type 2 Charger, all worked via app, no RFID Required.

Parking is free in almost all the Cities/Towns we visited

The main highway down to lake garda form Austria has all free rapid Chargers, think their ABB.

Would recommend Italy with an EV, it's even better infrastructure than Germany I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I would not have the balls to do that journey in a I3, what size battery do you have?

We are thinking of doing a similar journey instead of our usual summer holiday using the UK as a land bridge and ending up in Southern Italy (Maratea). However it would be in the M3 LR and not our I3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

krissovo wrote: »
    I would not have the balls to do that journey in a I3, what size battery do you have?

We are thinking of doing a similar journey instead of our usual summer holiday using the UK as a land bridge and ending up in Southern Italy (Maratea). However it would be in the M3 LR and not our I3.

BMW i3S - 42.2 kWh (37.9 kWh usable)

It was a pretty comfortable trip don't have any range anxiety at all :) drive in the morning, one rapid charge and stopping in the center of a town for a few hours to have dinner and walk around you'd easily do 400-500 km a day.

Chargemap app was great for planning the route, just marked off all the free rapid chargers on Google Maps and pinned towns we wanted to visit on the way and used those for full charges + when looking for accomodation we looked for stuff either with EV Charging or close to EV Charging (which meant free parking as well)

As long as you combine the things you want to do with charging then it's a dead easy trip, even more comfortable than ICE as you don't need to worry about parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭jarrieta

I had planned a trip from Ireland to Italian and Austrian Tyrol for August, unfortunately we postponed it and decided to stay in Switzerland this year and go to Tyrol next year, so thanks for the tips! Really appreciated

Advertisement